Is this true?

R

rotovacguy

Do you scotchguard?

We can scotchguard but we generally recommend against it. Scotchguard that is applied when cleaning is a topical solution. It actually walks off on the bottom of your shoes. So unless you are having a big party the night we clean, it is best to save your money for something else. Stain resistance in nylon carpet has come a long way in the last dozen years. Almost all nylon carpet produced in recent history has the concept of scotchguard integrated with the fibers on a molecular level. It is then locked in so it won't track off or lessen its strength with cleaning.

The only time you might want to consider having a stain protector applied after manufacturing is with a light color wool that will be prone to dye based stains (Koolaid, red wine, urine). Wool has about a 40-50% absorbency rate so whatever is dropped on it wants to soak in right away. Scotchguard is a water-based product, which allows for track-off. There is another oil based product called Kleenguard which is much more effective. Kleenguard does not prevent stains from setting but it slows the rate of absorption, which is why its so good for high absorbency wool. It then allows you some time to run to the kitchen for paper towels to blot up the spot. Spots are difficult to see on darker or patterned wools so once again I would save your money and not add the protection. It is not expensive (half the cost of cleaning), but in most cases you are better off just getting your carpet and rugs cleaned on a regular basis than adding chemical protectors.

WTF? This came off a site from a Chicago area cleaner posted from a different topic. I just happened to be reading through their services and was surprised to hear they actually steer custy's away from it. :?

G

:shock:

They don't know what they're talking about.

What pH do you usually use to clean resi carpets?

Chris A

Name
Chris
funny how many different opinions you get on just about everything. I'll keep $elling $cotchgard....

Jim

that's like saying "Why clean your carpets, they'll only get dirty again"

Back
Top Bottom