It is with heart felt regret that I have to inform you..

Mikey P

Administrator
that the beloved Ruth Travis has had to back out of Mikeyfest due to personal reasons.

The good news is the the lovely Mrs Lisa Wagner has offered to step in and fill Ruth's shoes.

Lisa will be here momentarily to pick your pea brains on what you would like to see and hear during her rug identification presentation.

Lisa will also be doing a presentation on rug deodorizing on Saturday

harryhides

Name
Tony
I think that it would be interesting for many to see what can be done with a needle and few basics knots and hidden stitches to repair minor snags or frayed edges. Nothing fancy or top secret just some basic skills like repairing a braided rug.
I realize that ordinarily only a few people would be able to see anything so.....
May I suggest using my projector which has a camera mounted on an articulated arm which can be held about 12-18" above the work to project the view onto an overhead screen.

I also think that it would be interesting for folks to learn how to avoid the most common rug pitfalls and also how to restore things like:
Bled colors
ripples
distorted ie won't lay flat
shrinkage
color loss
stiff silk or viscose fibers
fuzzing
damaged fringes
red dye stains
A neat demo might be to laminate a monks cloth or some kind of extra backing to strengthen a weak or damaged rug ??
etc
Basically two simple themes - prevention and correction.

My 2 cents.

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner
Hey Tony - you think you could also take a few decades of leather expertise and cram it all into a 60 minutes powerpoint presentation for me? :)

You gave me a migraine with your list. Even with my 3 days hands-on format, I can't cover everything you listed - at least not in way that would give people practical take away know-how to apply to their businesses.

First of all - I hope things are okay with Ruth. I always get nervous with personal reasons. She and I do not see eye to eye on many things... did I point out on MANY things... but I hope things are okay.

That said... learning 90 minutes of rug ID will help you point out machines made, some hand made, a few needlepoints, a dhurry or two, maybe a braided rug, if you are lucky an Afghan piece ... but you would only learn enough to confuse you - and nothing directly applicable in any way, shape or form to CLEANING rugs.

This is my biggest argument with the IICRC RCT course - that they teach a test to ID just a fraction of the rugs in the world, with no direct relevance to the cleaning craft. A 50 year old hand woven wool rug from Turkey and a 10 year old machine woven wool Karastan rug - the cleaning methods would be the same. A silk rug and a needlepoint may be cleaned exactly the same - regardless if they are from Turkey, Kashmir, China, or Iran.

If the test had been written by real rug cleaners - then you'd have a scratch and sniff test - "hey this wool rug with cotton foundation smells like cat pee - what do you soak it in first?" - Those are not the questions you have.

It reminds me of when I got a 98 on the CCT class, but had no idea how to turn on a truckmount. I could memorize the facts to pass the test (I'm good at written tests) - but there was NO hands-on aspect to the course.

So ... if I have 90 minutes here - I'd rather address some CORE id skills that are relevant to cleaning, and perhaps cover some pre-inspections skills that can save your butt when cleaning. This may not be exciting for the old-timers - but it would be immediately relevant AND valuable to those just getting into cleaning, or new into it. I could also cover some ckey rugs to run from on the market as well.

90 minutes is not a long time ... so I want to make sure it is useable info int hat time.

Any thoughts? I'll be giving a rug and restoration presentation to the ASD class on handling textiles from floods - so if you are going to ASD (and you are NUTS if you do not take advantage of that Mikeyfest ASD price - I've NEVER seen a price that low...) you will get that presentation. But for the bulk of the corwd - some basic how-to, and also talking about odor removal with Odorox, and topics in my head for this last minute plan.

Let me know what you think....
Lisa

Mikey P

Administrator
Lisa,

Seeing how you're the last presenter on Friday AND Saturday you take the stage @ 3:30 and can go to 6PM both days if you'd like.

Totally up to you.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Marty- I assume because Ruth lives close and would not have to have the expense and time of flying in for this. Personally I am thrilled and if I make it look forward to hearing Lisa's presentation.

Mikey P

Administrator
Yes Ruth is next door and Lisa still thought of us as Losers when I was putting the program together.

Now that she knows for sure that we are indeed losers she was thrilled to be given the chance to lift our coin purses.

harryhides

Name
Tony
Point taken, Lisa and believe me, I do understand.
Apple cider vinegar and honey in a glass of water works well for a headache.....

Mikey was asking for suggestions and like a good lad, I merely provided some.
I am simply trying to stir up some discussion but we both know that most attendees will never offer ANY suggestions ( see above ) and if they don't like the subjects that you do choose to cover will complain that your presentation was not exactly what they were expecting, sigh.

The biggest problem with these sorts of things is to find something of common interest for everyone within a group that runs from A to Z in Rug experience, good luck with that.
I'd think that if your presentation on Day 1 was for newbies and the 2nd day for more experienced ruggies might work - more work for you though.

The choice is, of course, all yours.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Well, if the choice is indeed hers, then I would like to kindly suggest that you shut up and allow her to make it.

Nothing personal or nuthin ...

harryhides

Name
Tony
Mikey P said:
Lisa will be here momentarily to pick your pea brains on what you would like to see and hear during her rug identification presentation.

Lisa will also be doing a presentation on rug deodorizing on Saturday

Marty did you get a personal email from Lisa, yet ?
Be sure to get a front row seat for Saturday's presentation.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Tony, I would have offere suggestions... but you covered them all! :|

Lisa well put, covering that much info would be the fast talking man at the end of the Car commercials! And don't forget to use the tase test too remember Female cats have certain petina in the flavor! :wink:

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner
I can tell this is going to be an interesting teaching environment...

I have enough food for thought - and thanks those who wrote me personally.

I'll come up with an interesting agenda.

I'll sit in on the spot set for Ruth on Friday for rugs, and might team up with Odorox for something on Saturday.

We'll make it memorable. :) But I'd rather not do a powerpoint dog and pony show - so, if I know the teaching "space" (warehouse, classroom, alley way) and teaching crowd (just Marty, 50, or 1,000) - that would be helpful.

Thanks all,
Lisa

Mikey P

Administrator
Please no power point or Lazar pointer presentations.

Pop up books and edible paste projects will work best for teaching Marty and Danny what rugs not to use a RotoVac on.

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner
Just finished my 3 days of coaching with our Platinum group ... heading home today then right into my first vacation of the year. Gotta practice what I preach (or even better preach what I practice). :mrgreen:

I have some other business happening in Tennessee (that's why I decided to pop in on you guys and say HEY) - so I need to see what I can move around so I can be there fully, and not do any of this half-ass. You guys deserve my full ass.

(I hope someone thought that was funny...)

I'll check in after I sleep a day - we had an incredible meeting, I'm just physically and mentally in need of a recharge. Plus the shock of Ruth quitting on you guys, I have to get over that still...

:)

Lisa

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner
Steve - you will have to come to Nashville for my not-a-half-ass rug program. Photos just won't do.

LOL,
Lisa

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
There had to be alcohol behind those remarks..
Day of Teaching: $6000

Dinner: -$150.00

3 bottles of Champaign: -$250.00

Telling a 20 something to come so they can check outr your full ass! :shock: :mrgreen: Priceless!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom