It takes a big man to admit he's a hack..

SDSinc

Well maybe not a hack but.... My cc biz is an add on to my main buissness which is delivering & installing furniture, art, rugs and accessories for Interior Designers and high end furniutre retailers. 99% of the cleaning I do is on brand new furniture or newly laid carpet or rugs that just got a little dirt on from the construction crews or the homeowners little dog pissed on the 10k rug or the upolstery got a little smudge on it during delviery or the mainaitnce cleanings for snowbirds before they come back down to FL for the season, and Im great at that, who wouldnt be? The thoughest thing I come accross sometimes is a little red coolaid the maid couldnt get out.

I represent the industry well, Im fully insured, Nice clean letterd van, I pre-vac, pre-spray, agitate (grandi groomer), HWE, speed dry and post groom and charge a high but fair price.

However I had one of my customers approach me about cleaning out his rental units. I said no problem and went to do the first one last week. Holly sh** do i suck.

I knew that the normal pre spray I used needed some backbone so I boosted it with citrus and some other stuff I had, I think magic bullet, sprayed it down and let it dwell, scrubbed the crap out of it with what I had, the grandi groomer, even re applied another application of pre spray, dwell and agitate, Then HWE...man, nothing, the traffic lanes, that where very heavy didn’t budge. I super boosted the pre spray repeated, bam, nothing. I was humiliated and it occurred to me that I really suck as a cc. Well, at least on the tough stuff. I was out of options. So I rolled went home and drowned my sorrows. Now luckily the customer said the guy that moved in was fine (low income housing) and he never went back to inspect the carpets but I was honest with him and told him I was not pleased. He said "whatever" and has more for me to do comming up.

I guess I just wanted to vent, kind of like AA, admitting you have a problem is the first step.

Now what is step two? A 175? a 360? Chems? Do they even teach how to clean the nasties at these stupid iicrc classes? Man I hate school.

What should I do next?

Signed, Mr. Hack

Name
Lee Stockwell
Rick I could help you learn to "hack out" those rat nasties, and I'm sure many here will likewise help.

However if you live over a GOLD mine why do you want to work harder to mine COAL?

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Attitude is very important in retaining an account.
The fact that YOU said YOU weren't satisfied went a long way I'm sure.

You showed you cared and that will when over a customer any day over doing an awesome job cleaning.

Not to say you shouldn't do an awesome job...because you should...but you get the idea.

Chris A

Name
Chris
Bob Foster said:
If you are getting high prices why not sub out the nasties?

Why would you ever sub out carpet cleaning if your a carpet cleaner?

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Chris Adkins said:
[quote="Bob Foster":1u3p4aoy]If you are getting high prices why not sub out the nasties?

Why would you ever sub out carpet cleaning if your a carpet cleaner?[/quote:1u3p4aoy]

If you have too much work for yourself....and you're going to turn away the work....sub it out and at least make some money on the deal.
Why not?

Chris A

Name
Chris
Brian R said:
[quote="Chris Adkins":10az3qf7][quote="Bob Foster":10az3qf7]If you are getting high prices why not sub out the nasties?

Why would you ever sub out carpet cleaning if your a carpet cleaner?[/quote:10az3qf7]

If you have too much work for yourself....and you're going to turn away the work....sub it out and at least make some money on the deal.
Why not?[/quote:10az3qf7]

Didn't seem like the case Brian, in that situation it would definitely be beneficial...

TimP

Cleaning rat nasties are awesome. I like em because you can always see a huge difference.

I'm curious what cleaner you used to clean on this particular job. Adding boosters to regular residential traffic lane cleaners don't always cut it. I'm also curious how much TLC'er you actually put out. When the soiling is heavy you gotta lay on the detergent heavy. Think 1-200 ft per gallon of RTU solution depending on how much face fiber you have. Mechanical aggitation is gonna be your friend but you can get around it for the most part. Remember TACT from what the IICRC teaches. If you can't aggitate you need to compensate with dwell time, more and stronger chemicals and heat. Also running a higher alkaline rinse can also help. Getting a quality properly built wand can make a huge difference too. However a glided wand and chems alone don't usually cut it for rat nasties unless you got some very strong chems or the soiling is something that is easily loosened.

So without knowing all the details of what you did we can't really give you help that will fix your problem. Sometimes carpet can be to the point where it's just not gonna come completely clean.....so take that under consideration.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
SDSinc said:
Now what is step two? A 175? a 360? Chems? Do they even teach how to clean the nasties at these stupid iicrc classes? Man I hate school.

What should I do next?

Signed, Mr. Hack

This is just so funny. Your normal work is as far from rat nasties as you can get. Yes get a nice heavy 175, at least a 15" one, at least 75#. Use a stiff brush on it. A strong prespray like Grease Eraser or Cobb's Powermax. I just rinse with water, no emulsfier needed. Like Tim said, you will see a huge difference.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
If you're used to cleaning new or almost new carpet then remember that old, abused carpet can get to the point that the fibers are damaged, and no amount of cleaning will restore that. You can get it clean (white rag test), but you can't work miracles.

Name
R.J. Povio
the carpet was probably POLYESTER!!!!....sounds like the traffic lanes are worn right into the fibers and im almost sure without even looking at it that the fibers are totally matted too! 50% of the apartment complexes i do have Polyester carpet....and it sucks!

SDSinc

Lee Stockwell said:
Rick I could help you learn to "hack out" those rat nasties, and I'm sure many here will likewise help.

However if you live over a GOLD mine why do you want to work harder to mine COAL?

I appreciate the offer. I will gladly take you or anyone elese up on their advice.

I guess I feel like a poser if I don't know the true art and science of cc. Even the 'undesirable situations.

Please don't get the wrong impression, my van sits for days at a time until I get a call. Beacause I'm not deversified as far as I can be, i. e. Wdr or commercial I feel that I am not a true 'professional' outfit.

I do feel blessed to be in the part of the country that the 1% live. Hell jack, tiger and jordon have houses in neighborhoods I go to daily, but again I strive to be better.

Again thanks for the input.

SDSinc

I don't want to sub it out if I'm capable and I have the equipment. Well maybe I'm not capable yet but with a little input I can be.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Yeah, don't sub the work unless you have too much work to handle yourself.
I'm sure you did fine.

tracywalker

Name
Tracy
I have said it multiple times on this board. Prespray Grime Release Pro from Harvard and let it dwell. This will remove almost anything! Blows ultrapac away IMHO.

Able 1

Name
Keith
Mike Draper said:
nothing will beat an Rotovac 360i on rat nasties, Nothing! Its well worth the money.

Don't waste your money on the 360... You can do just as well with great chems, that being (for the nasties) powerburst boosted with citrus pro and vol. 40.. I let my chems do the work...

This one here was just presprayed and extracted...
5]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9cRup1-Xco5]

Able 1

Name
Keith
danielc said:
Looks good Keith.

Are you running the APEX?

If so, how do you like it?

Still working on the van the apex is in... Not sure of the layout , yet. Been busy!

Next spring I'm going to hire. I do hope to use the Apex for my winter TM.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
SDSinc said:
Well maybe not a hack but.... My cc biz is an add on to my main buissness which is delivering & installing furniture, art, rugs and accessories for Interior Designers and high end furniutre retailers. 99% of the cleaning I do is on brand new furniture or newly laid carpet or rugs that just got a little dirt on from the construction crews or the homeowners little dog pissed on the 10k rug or the upolstery got a little smudge on it during delviery or the mainaitnce cleanings for snowbirds before they come back down to FL for the season, and Im great at that, who wouldnt be? The thoughest thing I come accross sometimes is a little red coolaid the maid couldnt get out.

I represent the industry well, Im fully insured, Nice clean letterd van, I pre-vac, pre-spray, agitate (grandi groomer), HWE, speed dry and post groom and charge a high but fair price.

However I had one of my customers approach me about cleaning out his rental units. I said no problem and went to do the first one last week. Holly sh** do i suck.

I knew that the normal pre spray I used needed some backbone so I boosted it with citrus and some other stuff I had, I think magic bullet, sprayed it down and let it dwell, scrubbed the crap out of it with what I had, the grandi groomer, even re applied another application of pre spray, dwell and agitate, Then HWE...man, nothing, the traffic lanes, that where very heavy didn’t budge. I super boosted the pre spray repeated, bam, nothing. I was humiliated and it occurred to me that I really suck as a cc. Well, at least on the tough stuff. I was out of options. So I rolled went home and drowned my sorrows. Now luckily the customer said the guy that moved in was fine (low income housing) and he never went back to inspect the carpets but I was honest with him and told him I was not pleased. He said "whatever" and has more for me to do comming up.

I guess I just wanted to vent, kind of like AA, admitting you have a problem is the first step.

What should I do next?

Signed, Mr. Hack

As mentioned above,

It sounds like P.E.T Carpet you were dealing with.

PET(Polyethylene terephthalate) polyester

They're the worst to clean.

Name
I'm Rick James
Able 1 said:
danielc said:
Looks good Keith.

Are you running the APEX?

If so, how do you like it?

Still working on the van the apex is in... Not sure of the layout , yet. Been busy!

Next spring I'm going to hire. I do hope to use the Apex for my winter TM.

Post some pics of your Apex setup. You able to get bens lettering off ok?

Mike Draper

able 1 said...Don't waste your money on the 360... You can do just as well with great chems
This is false, chemicals and a wand wont clean as well, even if you throw in a 175 it still wont. Maybe we should prove this next year at mikeyfest.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom