It went boom!!!!

G

Gnu

a heated debate over stolen pictures kinda blew up over at ***. and content from other websites.
when you guys started your sites did you pirate content to later change to your own words? kinda like giving yourself a starting point? then twist it into how you run things?

dgargan

WARNING!!!!

Do not place any picture on your web site that you do not have permission to use. I am in the middle of being sued from a company called Getty Images. They send me a letter stating I have a picture from their site on my web site and did not pay for the license. I looked on my site but didn't see the picture in question. They sent me a screen shot of what they were talking about. It turns out it was on the web site of a carpet cleaning company I bought out last year. I kept their site up for about 3 months until all the domain names were transferred to my site.

I explained this to them and they are still coming after me and are pursuing this like it was a million dollar heist. It's unreal how serious they are about this. They state even though I didn't put the picture up the site was registered to me at the time they took the screen shot and nothing else matters. They want $600 for the picture plus damages. Be very careful.

G

Without even looking, I can already say Tre is a little bitch. I do agree with all the statements above though. Be careful.

We had a situation with Tre where a customer wasn't satisfied with Tres services and Tre basically claimed that he owned everything from header to content on this guys site. Just what did the guy pay for then ? And of course Tres most famous heist is him registering all his customers domain names as his own. He got busted for that , but as I can attest, when you decide to walk away from him and his hosting , its not an easy thing. Almost 3 months to get free, lost google standings . I could go on and on.

Name
I'm Rick James
Ben surdi just cant seem to learn about ripping off content and pictures from other sites. He got busted earlier this year C&P Zerorez website word for word and he still uses it. :lol: The guy is willing to lie, cheat and steal to get ahead or caught up to a real business. Poor fellow.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Some guys are using my video on their website, embedded from Youtube. It still has my company name and such on it.

One guy took a pic of me cleaning uph and put that on his low moisture cleaning website.

I only use my own pics because then I can refer a client to them and tell them the story about it. Guess it doesn't prevent someone from making up their own story.
Watermarking is a good idea.

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
FCC said:
its a habit of Ben Surdi's...............

but no....I don't pirate pics or copy and I make sure everything is watermarked these days. Even pics I don't plan on using. People should be showing their work not mine. Quite a few of my pics have ended up on other sites. Most I had no intention of using but it still aggravates me. Like this guys red stain removal pic:
http://www.bigfishservicecompany.com/Ca ... aning.html

watermarking has pretty much stopped it though.

Yes I pay for stock images (not carpet cleaning) so a few of those may be seen on other sites. Just cause you found a pic on Google doesn't give you the right to use it........

All pictures/ graphics that I use are either mine or licensed ...

What do you use to do the watermarking? I just found one of before/after pics on someone else's site. Pissed me off a little :evil:

G

Gnu

I love gimp.. it is less awesome than photoshop but works good for local ads.

watermarking is a faint shadowlike text going across the image.

its also a good idea to lock images through you control panel of your website. I think its called content lock or image lock. had some yack off from ukrain trying to steal my images. I was viewing my statistics and showed someone viewing the pics for 20 minutes. lol trying to figure out how to steal it I guess.

actually James do go on and on. I know some things are "not ethical" but alot of editing has been from moderators or editing of content etc. and to pay him $400 a month to get 1 call every two months nope aint gonna happen. and every call I do get from internet is from ashland. an hour 20 minute drive from my house. and they are differant kind of peoples

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Here's a pic of the first marble restoration job I did.
IMG_4518.jpg

Here's another one.
IMG_4517.jpg

I don't think I know the person and was never asked. I don't really think I care, they are not a competitor. If they would have asked, I would have given them the 300 dpi pic instead of the 72 dpi they got from my website... :mrgreen:

Albert

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
Just a heads up. As far as creative content. The design artist owns all the rights to creative content they develop. This includes creative content they create for you! You must always have a contract in place that give ownership rights to you. Lack of a contract means they own the work and not you. Tre does have complete legal right to keep the content, only because you didn't protect yourself.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
does that mean we have partial rights to every house we clean?
If I go to a welder and he designs and builds me something, he has the design but I own the part.
If I have a logo designed, once I pay for it, it is my property. How do they still figure it is theres? They can take ownership of the "design" but I own the logo and have full rights to do whatever I want with it. If a graphic artist wants to play that game they will find themselves keeping the work.

Oh, speaking of that, graphic artist is that interesting industry where you still have to pay them even if they don't create anything you like! Its like, gee, you've created several designs, none of which I will ever use, but I still owe them $1000!! And if we clean a carpet and there's just a spot remaining we're taken to small claims almost so they don't have to pay. All you need to do in that industry is sell yourself enough to get hired.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
I've had it happen several times one guy used a pic of my wash plant if you are a good cleaner and proud of what you do why steal from others ?

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
Steam Way put out a beautiful color brochure about the ten reasons for cleaning. It was part of the Select Team brochures. A cleaner that had Prochem just substituted Prochem for Steam Way on his website using the Steam Way brochure word for word. I see he has changed the wording, having edited the material now, but still clearly from the Steam Way brochure.

Our website showing the entire brochure: http://www.northlandakitas.com/delta/reasons.htm

Their website now edited: http://www.bestchoice-carpetcare.com/reasons.html

Evidently the practice is common.

bensurdi

Name
Benjamin Surdi
Hey now..... I thought I did pretty good on my new site for Pure Clean brent... why the harsh words?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom