Its all in the numbers

Name
I'm Rick James
Was talking to a local guy that some of you may know and he told me something that really stuck with me.

"He said that 20% of people in the industry own a business and 80% own a job."

He is the reason I am raising my prices. The best advice I can give about this industry is listen to the people who offer you good advice, for not one person knows everything or is the best at everything.

Name
I'm Rick James
FCC said:
now you own a job that pays more (maybe)?

Like many others I do own a job that pays way more then stuffing fries in a box. But I have a better understanding of the direction I need to take to become one of the 20%. We have some of those 20% group here, maybe they can chime in and be the next Tony Robbins.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
If your good at your job then you will succeed in owning a business......

Burtz

If you owned a business with lots of employees it's called a Kindergarten, you the head babysitter

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
There are tons of good advice out there, I always have a hard time sorting it out from the not-so-good advice. If you got good at that, and actually implemented it, success would be easy.

Burtz

it's just semantics job or business same thing just a way for marketing people to make you feel better about what their selling

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
I would say he is probably overestimating the %, but what really matters is what you think and want for your life and business. I could argue that raising your price has nothing to do with it being a business or a job but this doesn't make me right either. I am curious on why you equate the 2.

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
Re: Re: Its all in the numbers

Ken Snow said:
I would say he is probably overestimating the %, but what really matters is what you think and want for your life and business. I could argue that raising your price has nothing to do with it being a business or a job but this doesn't make me right either. I am curious on why you equate the 2.

I agree with Ken, it sure seems to me that most of the carpet cleaning companies that I would say are true businesses have low to very moderate prices.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
that comment always chafes me.
I have busn, the multitruck guys simply have a different busn. Just because someone doesn't have employees doesn't mean they don't have a busn.
If I had a job that would mean all I have to do is show up. If that's all I did I'd be out of busn.
I understand what they are trying to say but its a slap in the face to every man out there that is working for himself in whatever busn they do.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Only take advice from someone you would trade places with....except for the advice I just gave. lol

I think Brent is raising his prices to create a "business". It's good to raise you prices at that level.
When you get to Ken's level maybe you can lower them again but I do agree with Ken.

Most of the general public are looking for that "deal" because the TV commercials have programmed them to think that...pun intended.

Still, your higher end job, I think will appreciate the whole value thing...not all of them...but most.

Problem is, once you get to a level of business that needs more of the market share, you will have to cater to that market.

Right Ken?

Name
I'm Rick James
My comment had no reflection on anyone here, but more for myself. By diving into the numbers you find out what your business is and I sumit that many owners dont know the numbers.

I am not saying raising your prices will make you a business, but knowing your numbers will.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
I agree 100% - knowing the numbers and acting on that knowledge is the diff between owning a bus and a job. Really though anyone who is their own bus owns their job~ I certainly do.

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
Was talking to a local guy that some of you may know and he told me something that really stuck with me.

"He said that 20% of people in the industry own a business and 80% own a job."

sounds like an IICRC instructor or salesman trying to sell you something

doesn't matter to me what you call it, just glad to have it

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom