Janitorial Carpet Cleaning...Lightest Porty Setup?

Ok...Thinking of a women tech here....this is for "empty" rental turnovers. This would probably not "fly" in an occupied residental setting. For one thing you are utilizing all on site resources, toilet, tub, hot water, waste disposal on site, substanial electrical usage, very loud. A residential customer would lose their mind!

Provides for near continuous cleaning....

Rotovac CFX PowerPod...39 lbs
cfx-new-small.jpg

CleanCraft 150psi rescue box pump... 12 lbs

pumpbox_front.jpg

Mytee Turbo Hot...2400watts...22 lbs
!BQIR9R!!Wk~$(KGrHgoH-DcEkJw2KwwWBJ3NzkgDFw~~_35.JPG

Now add the tools...rotovac, glided wand,etc and a OP/rotary machine ....especially ones that "compact" for transport. Also a 20 lb vac booster could be nice.

Does anybody make a better 300psi or more pump... packaged...to plug in? Better heater in same weight range?
Who makes the lightest, most compact, yet effective OP machine?

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I don't know a thing about any of those items, Thom

but here's a thought.
what would be easier , carrying 40 pounds in one hand down a hall and up stairs, or wheeling a 75-90 pound porty with dolly wheeled config?

and what about a Steamin Demon or similar gizmo ?
have you considered them?
I don't know much about them either...only demoed/played with them.
They're not heavy as I recall and I "hear" they're a good flushing machine

contact JB that frequents here.
He's a veteran that knows his chit, he used them for years, and is a straight shooter.
He'll give you the skinny on the demon

..L.T.A.

Name
Steve Lawrence
I'd get good at the art of OP (oscillating pad) :D cleaning. It works best for commercial, IMO, but it is very versatile and if you are clever you can clean just about any carpet adequately or phenomenally, depending on the kind of carpet and soil conditions.

Jeff Madsen said:
You don't need the heater or the pump if you're using the 360.

Rental turnovers are pretty dirty...
But only using a 360 is not really being prepared for carpet contingencies...is it?

You still need to use wands, stair wand, crevice tool...etc...these tools work best with at least some pressure...100psi+. Household pressure and hookups can be problematic...by using a pump that can syphone from a bucket in a tub you avoid water pressure and connection problems and can adjust your rinse solution at the bucket if desired.

Wish somebody made a tool box sized 300psi plug in pump.

Water... 140 degree water from the rental units hot water tank can and needs to be boosted to at least the 180-200 degree range in order to clean more effectively.

Steve Lawrence said:
I'd get good at the art of OP (oscillating pad) :D cleaning. It works best for commercial, IMO, but it is very versatile and if you are clever you can clean just about any carpet adequately or phenomenally, depending on the kind of carpet and soil conditions.

Typically.... I OP and Extract...my carpets are beautiful.... :D

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
DevilThomas said:
Steve Lawrence said:

Typically.... I OP and Extract...my carpets are beautiful.... :D

Good suggestions above. I especially agree with Thomas to Scrub & Rinse. If your looking for a SIMPLE system for rentals (porty). Then you'd be well served to add some form of agitation to the mix. Do a quick scrub first, then rinse with a porty or a Steamin Demon. You could use an OP, a rotary machine, a cylindrical scrubber, or even a Cimex for your pre-scrub step. Then just rinse with an adequately proportioned porty or a Steamin Demon. This is how we did things in the early years and it can still be efficient, especially on rat nasty move outs.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
DevilThomas said:

Rotovac CFX PowerPod...39 lbs
cfx-new-small.jpg

That is a bitchin little machine ,Tom. I saw how they have a large fresh tank that can snap onto also. How is the vacuum? Is it dual 2 stage motors?

R

rotovacguy

With just a single wimpy cord on that thing, I can't imagine the motors being anything special, so the vacuum is probably pathetic.

For the price Rotovac wants for that slug, you'd be FAR better off either getting an M5, or picking up a used Mytee on Ebay and pimping it out.

Big deal, so they put on a 250 psi pump and a 27 gallon holding tank. They already have provisions for hooking directly up to a faucet. Why settle for that wimpy ass 250 psi pump, when you could get a killer external pump with the flow and pressure you want. Plus, the water would be hotter just running it through the solution line, versus letting it sit in that big ass tank.

I don't see any pricing on their website. I thought I remember the original fetching about $2500. Now with the added pump and tank, it should easily surpass $3000.

To each their own, but anyone considering one of those, should really reconsider their long term business plan.

Just talked to Rotovac ...PowerPod Only!

duel 2 stage vac model, single cord...$1600

duel 3 stage vac model, double cord...$1900

For another $100 they will give you a wand that presumedly works at household pressure.

Comes with connectors and hoses for house hot water hookup.

Both models can be connected to your TM vac hose and will act like a vac booster that pumps waste to on site disposal.

The things that appeal to me are... small size, light weight, on site use of resources, automatic on site disposal of waste, ability to connect to my TM when needed, credible "back up" performance. I still think you need some pressure and a hot water booster.

Anyway...Rotovac is actually somewhat close.. 100 miles..probably should run down there towards the end of the month and see the demo...if I like what I see.. I will take their 7 day use demo and try it out on some rat nasty rental carpets and write a review.

jackj

I realize the every time when starting a janitorial business, survey your market first. Look for businesses or potential customers are in your target location.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
One thing to be aware of with the CFX, it has sharp little hooks, (4 of them) that connects it to the docking station.

These are at about calf level.

When carrying the CFX, it can easily cut the skin, (for those that wear shorts), especially carrying it up or down stairs.

Other than that, it has plenty of grunt with two leads, DUAL vacs; and waste pump-out.

The pump out is also pretty good, but make sure you install the filter correctly, sideways, not up and down with the ports (holes).

You may also need plenty of foam buster when cleaning after previously poor cleaning techniques. !gotcha! or you may find foam coming out the exhaust pipe.

For this reason, I also tie the electric cables up to the carry handled with velcro straps, well out of the way of any moisture.

It is a damn good little workhorse, albeit a tad noisy.

The docking station can be awkward to take up and down stairs with all the weight hanging out over the front, (I don't), having two people makes it easier, but.............................

This reason alone makes it impractical for the average woman, let alone an old fart like me. shiteatinggrin

I have modified my docking station by putting in a float valve so it is continuous fill to about five gallons, not twenty-seven.

I have also added a tee piece at the rear where the solution goes into the 250psi pump, which has a long tube running to the front with a tap. I have it tied off to the metal solution line. !gotcha!

This allows me to easily empty the fresh water/solution tank of any excess water, instead of sucking it out via the vac; hose.

I can get really close to most jobs, so it stays in the van nearly all the time.

I'm currently looking at putting a 500psi pump in a wheely box with a five gallon resevoir and continuous fill, using this as my solution pump, and just the CFX, hooked up to my 360i.

Whatever machine you decide on, make sure it is well built to handle the work and is user friendly for the operator.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom