Jim Pemberton

F

FB7777

So Jim,

Its the New Year, time for 2010 planning and a new resolution.

Other than subscribing to Pembertons CleanTips free weekly email delivered faithfully every Saturday morning to my email Inbox, what advice would you give to this question...

In 2010, I am looking to increase my Referral Network, over the last 20 years I have relied on my limited advertising and good reputation to attract Retailers, Installers, Real Estate Agents and similar sources.

So far so good, but in conservative times, I want to ensure that my numbers continue to remain strong.

What do you suggest to attract these sources?

I've never just walked in cold to an establishment such as these and introduced myself.

What would Pemberton do?

Thanks!
Fred

Erik

Supportive Member
Name
Erik
I have landed some very good custumers walking in & introducing myself and leaving a business card. You may not hear from them right away, you may not hear from them ever...but when you have everything to gain and nothing to lose, it's always worth a shot.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I enjoy walking across a 75 foot entry way to the gate keeper and not being nervous to get my information. I make it a game and put on my Bruce Willis impression for confidence.

But several times I've pissed myself doing that walk.

I thought Jim Pemberton died?

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
News of my death is much exaggerated Jimmy. That rumor has been going around lately and I'm not sure where it started. I apologize for any disappointment this announcement might cause.

To Fred's question:

I've had some interesting experiences with furniture retailers lately that will probably have some bearing on the other contact sources as well. Furniture retailers contact me nationwide looking for cleaners that they can use to clean problem upholstery fabrics. I'm usually told that local cleaners will tell them that they clean any upholstery fabric, but beg off when they get asked to do anything particularly challenging. Some of them end up purchasing their own equipment and having their staff trained because they need to handle these problems when cleaners cannot.

Before any of you think cynically that the furniture stores see this as a profit center, you are wrong. They have their repair people trained and its done mostly as an additional service, but one they'd rather not do.

So for these folks, making sure that they know you are willing to solve a problem for them is your best course of action. Few (actually none) of them want to "give you business". But they all need problems solved. A related need is among moving companies. I know a local furniture repair expert who is always sending service representatives of moving companies to me for recommendations for local fine fabric experts who can remove soil from moving and storage damage. These people pay higher prices to solve expensive problems than most others will. Not that they should be taken advantage of, but they will pay you for the extra time and effort that it takes to clean something like new or nearly new so that they don't have an expensive claim on their hands.

How's that for a start, Fred?

F

FB7777

Thanks a ton Jim, this is the type of real world experience an advice that makes bulletin boards so valuable...

and no mention of Krispy Kreme donut bribery drop-offs

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Now that Mike has wasted no time in finding a way to abuse me already this year, let's go back to your question Fred:

Existing referral sources suffer not so much from the wrong rentention program as they suffer from neglect. This is a great time of year to stop by at a few of the places that have referred you and simply thank them. If they are not easy to reach, send a thank you card. Both are more important to most people than gifts.

Thank you cards are especially appreciated in January when the Christmas greetings have been taken down and a note of appreciation will stand out instead of being blended in with a number of other cards.

The decision to give gifts should be thought through carefully. If you know your referral contact well enough, gift certificates for dinner for two come in handy before Valentine's Day (reminds the cheap guy to take the lady of his life out once in a while). The decision to give more signifcant gifts of candy or liquor must be done only if you know both would be appropriate, and neither should be cheap if you do give them.

Be careful bringing coffee, donuts, pizza, etc to companies where there are employees or other multi referer sources. Such surprises usually create impromptu breaks or parties, and it might annoy the boss. I can tell you such things have been done for our staff by trucking companies, and it disrupts the work day.

Just make sure you clear such company gifts with the owner or manager first.

-JB-

Name
JB
Be careful bringing coffee, donuts, pizza, etc to companies where there are employees or other multi referer sources. Such surprises usually create impromptu breaks or parties, and it might annoy the boss. I can tell you such things have been done for our staff by trucking companies, and it disrupts the work day.

good point

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom