Jim Pemberton's comments about using Prochem AFR as a straight cleaner on upholstery.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I usually prefer to precondition with a neutral cleaner (Fine Fabric Shampoo or Encapuclean Green DS) and to rinse with an acid rinse (All Fiber Rinse liquid or Fabset).

What I've learned from some of my Fabric Pro students who clean more delicate stuff in a month than I'll do the rest of my life since a one step clean is far less wetting to the fabric than a two step,a single step rinse with some cleaning power can often be safer.

What I've done the most with is the Prochem All Fiber Deep Clean, which is a liquid and just a bit of a cleaner.

The Prochem All Fiber Rinse Powder is a far better cleaner, I'm just not yet convinced that it is quite as safe a the All Fiber Deep Clean, but still a nice "light rinse and dry fast" one step cleaner.

I'm doing a lot more work with the powder on some bleeders and white linens here that brown easily to be sure.

Other than that, I'm still a big fan of VLM cleaning with a neutral encap on upholstery.

None of the above products or methods will remove heavy body and hair oil. All are preferable to dry solvent cleaning though.

* Before anyone thinks otherwise:

1. I'm not promoting these products here. Yes I use them. Yes I sell them. You can get that stuff most anywhere.

2. I'm sure a lot of you use other stuff that works great. As long as it does, I'm happy. I'm not suggesting I have the best answers, just ones that work for me and some really good and experienced people I know.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom