Joe Harper's twist on wand jetting

Bob Foster

Mike brought up about the Mytee Bentley having an outside overspray that he felt wings would solve.

Joe says he angles his outside jets to reduce that. He said Butler tells people to do that with their 5 jets.

Here is the pattern for a 5 jet

Front of wand
/ - - - \
MAN

This is a little exagerated but basically the outside jets are at around a 45 degree angle.

Going to try it tomorrow.

Bob Foster

Here's one of Joe's old retired wands that he pulled out of the closet to show us. Yeah yeah it's dirty....

S4011199.jpg

Name
Lee Stockwell
I've always done similar to that...but not 45 degrees of twist.

I also don't like interior jets patterns to "hit" each other....makes for streaks and dripping. Twist each about 10 degrees from horizontal.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
many, if not most here have been taught by Greenie to angle the jets to skim the glide...

pretty dumb is you ask me :roll:

I had a conversation with a CC'r just the other day about it.
He still bangs the spray off the glide .

I was surprised cause he's pretty smart...er...check that...he ain't very smart , I should of said, he has a very good CCing biz

i figure a lot a jokers skim the glide cause ;

1.) they considered Greenie some kind of gUroo gawd and if said turds were good for what ails you, BD's would be swearing their flu was cured by eating dog chit.... :lol:

2.) they had to skim the glide to avoid streaking in some situations cause their wand was a POS and/or they were sold on firehose flow at mega psi

Guess they couldn't figure out they could turn down the psi , adjust the jets to get PENETRATION on the fiber and clean as well or better than banging the glide :roll:

monkey see, monkey do...

..L.T.A.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Yeah, the banging of the glide did seem a little odd to me when I tried one of my Techs wand a couple years ago. The carpet would be really dry but it took more work to clean.
I can see shearing the carpet but it should at the very least hit the carpet first.

Name
Lee Stockwell
I was talking about left/right twist. Greenie was talking about rotating the spray bar manifold "front to back".

In that regard many wands have the spray hit the carpet at a 90 degree angle. That works, but isn't ideal. Rotating the impact angle forward improves sheer effect and cleaning ability.

45 degrees seems ideal, but I agree with Larry that hitting the wand kills all that.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Angle it as much as possible just before the glide seemed to work the best (give a little space).

I never had problems with dry times because of the glide anyway.

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
Larry,

Greenie (or I) never advocated banging the glide, the spray should not hit the glide over halfway up. It should just skim the glide right at the carpet/glide interface on a CGD carpet. Some wands have more adjustability than others.

As far as angling the outside jets to prevent overspray, you should angle them the opposite way of what is illustrated above:

\---/

With the angle being guided by the spray pattern, twist until the leading edge of spray hits just to the inside of the wand lips/glide.

Take care,
Lisa

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
instead of angling jets....which has it's own issues

Why not just make the outside jets a smaller fan so they don't spray out as far?

that's what I did with my Evo wand.

worked really well.

I believe Greenie was the guy who told me that as well.

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
Yes, you can use a narrower angle on the outside, but sometimes a 110 is too much and a 95 is too little. Then you twist the outside, depends on the pressure you are running as well.

Take care,
Lisa

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I'm really not sure why any manufacturer would sell a wand that sprays down a wall from the side.

I know they test these things...do the just not GAF?

A guard of somesort just seems so obvious but I guess not so much to the RandDs.

It's the little things that maks such a huge difference.

They are even able to make plastic thin enough that can block the spray and not bend too much.

Just seems like a no brainer to me.

Someone here has to know something about it.

John? Anyone?

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
Aside from cost and/or complexity of mold/bend...the only reason a manufacturer might not put a splashguard would be that it will high side when you dip the wand down to go under a bed or low furniture...raising the lips off the carpet and losing suction.

Take care,
Lisa

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
truckmount girl said:
Larry,

Greenie (or I) never advocated banging the glide, the spray should not hit the glide over halfway up. It should just skim the glide right at the carpet/glide interface on a CGD carpet.

'cept it still ain't chit.... :twisted:

as far as shear angle ON the fiber (as it should be) , the greater the angle, the more PSI is needed.
i discovered that immediately after getting our Ti wand many years ago.
To get the same cleaning performance out of it compared to our AW29 wands (which I think is great wand*) we had to increase PSI from 300 to 450

*the PMF 802 and AW29 ARE great cleaning wands .
The problem is too many guys don't know how to use them.
They run the PSI too high and blow solution thru the backing.... allowing Chem-Lie to find a niche in the market...

at 350 and UNDER with 06 flow jetting, it's a great cleaning wand

..L.T.A.

Bob Foster said:
Mike brought up about the Mytee Bentley having an outside overspray that he felt wings would solve.

Joe says he angles his outside jets to reduce that. He said Butler tells people to do that with their 5 jets.

Here is the pattern for a 5 jet

Front of wand
/ - - - \
MAN

This is a little exagerated but basically the outside jets are at around a 45 degree angle.

Going to try it tomorrow.

Bob I watched one of the videos you posted cleaning a restaurant with your greenhorn. There was major overspray. Same applies to all of T's videos. I would go nuts dealing with that. I ordered a hole glide and tried every jet configuration, but it still oversprayed. I then ordered a slot glide, went to 80's outside, 110's inside with short extenders on my pc 4 jet and it cleans perfect. Still there are some jobs when an unglided wand and lower pressure are what's needed. Some carpets streak no matter what wand you are using and need deeper flushing that only a rotary can provided. What you need is a new wand or glide. You may never get it right and when you do you will encounter a carpet that it just does not work well on.

Bob Foster

You're right about the overspray. Its really starting to bug me too. I am going to put the new Mytee manifold on the Bentley and do some experimenting and will also play around with my Joe-Bilt manifold too.

My Greenhorn doesn't overspray but its heavy and thirsty. If I don't resolve my Bentley problem I'm going to switch back to my Greenhorn and re-jet it.

Name
Lee Stockwell
I have no overspray problem with my Bentley, however it's got the new manifold. I've only used it in the 350-450 psi range. I'll try to see how much it takes to make it go wild tomorrow.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
meAt said:
truckmount girl said:
Larry,

Greenie (or I) never advocated banging the glide, the spray should not hit the glide over halfway up. It should just skim the glide right at the carpet/glide interface on a CGD carpet.

'cept it still ain't chit.... :twisted:

as far as shear angle ON the fiber (as it should be) , the greater the angle, the more PSI is needed.
i discovered that immediately after getting our Ti wand many years ago.
To get the same cleaning performance out of it compared to our AW29 wands (which I think is great wand*) we had to increase PSI from 300 to 450

*the PMF 802 and AW29 ARE great cleaning wands .
The problem is too many guys don't know how to use them.
They run the PSI too high and blow solution thru the backing.... allowing Chem-Lie to find a niche in the market...

at 350 and UNDER with 06 flow jetting, it's a great cleaning wand

..L.T.A.

I love my AW29, but to get some blast from my shitty pumptec, I cut it to 3 flow. It cleans great,dries fast and my 3500 watt heater keeps up pretty well.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom