joining forces?

me and a fellow carpet cleaner(friend of mine)cover the same area, was thinking of become one company since i'm more of learning knowledge, enjoy face to face selling, networking, building relationships with carpet retailers , vacuum stores etc. to get off the truck and pursue this more. while he enjoys pushing the wand he isn't much on selling, good people skills and excellent cleaner. i would become the marketer while he remains the cleaner. what would be the disadvantage of this, looking for some advise?

Name
Nate W.
I'd have an agreement in writing. Verbal or gentleman agreements don't hold up all that well in court, if the time arises. Best wishes to you.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
You just have to map out who does what, your strategy for growth, and have a good exit strategy before you begin. Could work out great if everyone knows what's expected.

M

Mark Imbesi

I did this sort of thing when I was installing full time, just before adding carpet cleaning. Each of us where pulling a good days worth of work, but our employees were not reliable. This forced either of us to join the other for the day, which cut into profits. We decided the steadier money working together was better than being at the mercy of our help.

This worked well because we never had to advertise our services. Give several retailers a few days per week and just show up and work was there. This is when I learned the power of referrals. We would constantly be asked for by clients to install for them and their family and friends. We decided to "add-on" carpet cleaning to our list so not to compete with the flooring retailer, but compliment them and us, of course.

I did the research and decided a truckmount was the way to go. His credit was poor and I was relied upon to lease it and pay for another truck. As we slowly grew, we added employees, again. Each of us had a helper and I floated between cleaning and installing. Thats when the problems started.

If I finished my day first (labor), I was to meet him to help his crew finish earlier. But what I failed to realize, is that since we had employees, I had payroll to do, bills to submit, and, I wanted to grow the cleaning part, so market too. This happened AFTER the labor day was done! So needless to say, I put way more hours into the company than he. He saw nothing wrong with this since I didnt have kids to get home too.

It all ended after he wasn't happy with the pay he was receiving. We paid our employees, supplies, I secretly kept a little money in the account to reinvest into the company, and then we split the difference each week. Many times, I invested some of my pay back into the company. I explained all this to him, he was angry and I told him to leave. He resorted back to the retailers with one helper. I let go of the other, kept 2 trucks and the cleaning equipment...even the stuff we purchased together through the company. My attorney had him sign off on his share of the business.

This (2001) is when I really started to flourish! Me, myself and I working for me, myself and I. I'm having a hard time deciding which direction (employees or O/O) to go in when I rebuild in Arizona later this year. But, I have decided NOT to take on another partner ever again!

I'm not saying that the perfect few people cannot make a partnership work. But, I think stories like mine are the norm. Good luck!

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Business partnerships are like marriages, without the physical intimacy.

And even marriage (with the inferred fringe benefits)hasn't had the greatest success rate in this day and age, so consider that carefully.

Most business consultants will recommend against it. I've worked full time in this industry for 33 years now. I've seen one partnership work out for the long term. Just one.

Be careful.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
prestige cleaner said:
what would be the disadvantage of this,

the guy doing all the physical work will think he's getting screwed while you're out schoozing contacts on the golf course

didn't you recently say you hired a man?
(you were asking if you should raise prices to cover his cost)

welp, get it in gear and get some accounts he do alone.
You'll be making money while the truck is working while you're find more accounts to keep him busier

..L.T.A.

M

Mark Imbesi

I agree with Larry. In your situation, I would hire a tech. Way more profitable for you than splitting with another experienced cleaner.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Sub out to the guy, get Full Circle and Service Monster...then you can spend all your time building your business and creating more work for him and other subs.

Don't do the partnership thing...I'm not kidding...I got screwed bad on that one...never again.
work for yourself and nobody else then you have no one to blame or congratulate but yourself.

Jim,
Is getting screwed considered intimacy?? :oops:

Name
I'm Rick James
The Great Oz said:
You just have to map out who does what, your strategy for growth, and have a good exit strategy before you begin. Could work out great if everyone knows what's expected.

Very good advice....

Its all about communication....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom