Judson o2 for upholstery?

I don't much upholstery cleaning, I hate it. But I just droped the $ on a shaphire tool, So I plan to offer upholstery cleaning more to my customers as an up sell .

Any one using the judson o2 for most (if not all) of your upholstery cleaning? Any fabrics to avoid using it on? I have tried the stuff on a few dirty chairs and the results were amazing. Be nice not to have to carry another jug of chem just for the once in a while Upholstery job. your comments are wellcome.

Thanks

Bob Foster

Use O2 on upholstery all the time. Use the rinse especially if you are cleaning cotton. If you haven't taken an upholstery course I strongly recommend you do because there are some pitfalls to watch out for.

Make sure you have fans.

Upholstery will add lots of revenue to your year!

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
don't forget protector. wait until your done and just say "you should really protect this" nearly everyone will spend the extra. it should sound like a suggestion and not a sales pitch.

gene

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
One major pitfall is using carpet prespray for upholstery. While a second gallon of precondition can be a pita, it could keep you out of trouble. Carpet preconditioner are designed to penetrate and wet out the carpet. Not at all what you want with upholstery. With upholstery you want surface only, dry as possible while cleaning.

Carpet preconditioners are 10-100 times stronger ph than upholstery preconditioners.

Now if you only clean Olefin then you're probably fine, but you're defeating the benefit of the "dry" type tool if you're using a preconditioner designed to penetrate the fabric.

Bob Foster

Never had a problem of breakthrough to the backing using Judson O2 pre-spray on upholstery. And of course you don't use the same concentrations of pre-spray on upholstery as you would on carpet or tile.

The pH of Judson is 7.5.

I have been using Judson O2 Prespray exclusively on upholstery for five years.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
That a good PH range. I'd personally not risk using carpet cleaning presprays on fabrics when there is so much at risk. Especially on special care fabrics, I'd pay a little more for a gallon of precondition designed for delicate fabrics.

Jules said:
That a good PH range. I'd personally not risk using carpet cleaning presprays on fabrics when there is so much at risk. Especially on special care fabrics, I'd pay a little more for a gallon of precondition designed for delicate fabrics.

The Judson 0-2 System is designed for delicate fabrics.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I'm confused but then I'm not familiar with O2.
So it is designed to both penetrate soiled carpet and not penetrate the backing of fabrics? I'm not saying its not possible but my experience has always been specific products for specific tasks. I spent a decade being the in house upholstery cleaner. During that time when I or others clean with me ran into trouble was using chems not designed for the specific use.

Bob says he's used O2 for 5-years no problem that's great but I'd wonder if some of it was Bob's skill and a little bit of luck too.

Les if you tell me it cleans special care delicate fabrics, who am I to say it doesn't. I accept that, I'd just leave it with MOST carpet preconditioners do not make good upholstery presprays.

John Watson

Damn, I agree wit both Bobby and Taco Breath, we used O2 on 95% of the upholstery we did. Never a problem we also were using the HydrMaster Dri tool. The other 5% we used products made just for the delicate fabrics used on upholstery or did our dri-dri process on the fabrics that we could not use any type of moisture on..

In a leagle situation using carpet products on uph you loose, like using brake cleaner in stead of 111 Tri even tho they used to be the same but the brake cleaner was 375% cheaper. If it aint labled for the use your using it fur yor sticken yor arse oot the winder to get spanked...... No type of surances will bail yous oot. Pure and simple Tecnigtion error you just crashed and burned....

Lester, Since I don't buy your chit no mo. is it on the lable??? I have CRS
(both companies whom took over our services like and pretty much use yor liquiers exclusivley.......)

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I've been using O2 on uph as well for over 4 yrs. I've cleaned synthetics and naturals. It did a beautiful job on a brocaid the other day.

Bout 1 oz per gallon does the trick, sometimes I put in a couple more.
I spray it on with a 01 jet so I don't soak it down like a do a carpet.

S

sam miller

I personally like upholstery pre spray form PC its great on microfiber and smells great also. never seen juice or tried it the rinse to me is critical depending on the fiber.

also fell free to color test with a towel if your not sure, ps burn tests help too.

The new tools like sapphire will definetly help keep You out of touble with its water recovery and the blower is a nice idea fr drying like Bob said.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
I have also used the 02 system on Fine Fabrics and Carpets. It just depends on the application for me. Still a great product.

Les always seems to bail me out on tough situations. Got one right now I just emailed him about this morning. Judson family has always been a great help to our family over the years.

Mark Saiger
www.saigers.com

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Like the saint from Topeka, I have my doubts.
Besides Judson, every other manufacturer says that their upholstery pre-sprays are designed particularly for upholstery in three ways.

1) They do not contain 'wetting' / Penetrating agents. Which means that they are less likely to go deeper into the fabric and possibly filling material. And allow the rinse to go deeper (kind of create a 'highway' for the water to go deeper.

2) They are designed more for upholstery soil (body oils etc) that is somewhat different than carpet soiling.

3) Many, have the benefit of working better with delicate fabrics.

• Now, it may be that all these manufacturers specialize in truth bending. (wouldn't put it passed them)
    It may also be that they just want to sell more products.
    It may very well be that there is a miracle, fit all glove, that is absolutely the best product for cleaning practically anything under the sun.

As Bobby F, usually seem to think everything Judson is :p

Personally, I harbor my doubts.

Bob Foster

There is truth in everything you just stated Ofer.

The basic assumption that is being challenged has to do with the prespray being unsuitable due to its carpet cleaning qualities making it unsuitable for use on upholstery.

That may be the case for some carpet cleaning presprays but that doesn't mean that all presprays share those characteristics. And I think Judson's engineering that went into this product has proven it out to me personally because I have never had a a problem with it on upholstery.

Do we not use our tools and equipment differently depending on what you are cleaning? Its not a leap in logic to think that you can't do the same thing with a WELL FORMULATED cleaning agent that has BEEN DESIGNED and DEVELOPED to be versatile.

When cleaning upholstery is it best to use a lot of moisture? or is it best to use the least amount possible?

DuPont™ Zonyl® fluorosurfactants

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Leslie Judson Jones said:
When cleaning upholstery is it best to use a lot of moisture? or is it best to use the least amount possible? DuPont™ Zonyl® fluorosurfactants

Not quite sure if that's a question or a Koan :shock:

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Bob Foster said:
There is truth in everything you just stated Ofer.

The basic assumption that is being challenged has to do with the prespray being unsuitable due to its carpet cleaning qualities making it unsuitable for use on upholstery.

That may be the case for some carpet cleaning presprays but that doesn't mean that all presprays share those characteristics. And I think 1) Judson's engineering that went into this product has proven it out to me personally because I have never had a a problem with it on upholstery.

2) Do we not use our tools and equipment differently depending on what you are cleaning? Its not a leap in logic to think that you can't do the same thing with a WELL FORMULATED cleaning agent that has BEEN DESIGNED and DEVELOPED to be versatile.

1) As far as I know there is chemical knowledge that goes into it, not quite sure what 'engineering' was done.

2) That logic practically proves the opposite.

I'd agree with you Bob, that we can adjust our cleaning technique to the fabric or situation at hand. So, if you have a product that tends to penetrate too deeply, you can compensate by different techniques.
I also do not have a doubt that Judson's will do a fine job when used accordingly. I have used some carpet cleaning products on some upholstery with very good results.

Yes, it is great if one can carry one product that will do it all.
What I do wonder is: Will it accomplish the optimal cleaning results with the least amount of risk?

P.S Les. The whole hysteria about too much water in fabric is way... way............ over hyped. It's the filling material.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom