Judson o2 system

FloorPizza

Name
Brandt
Applied my OCD to researching Judson's "O2 Oxygen" two-liquid cleaning chemical system this a.m. At first, I was pretty excited about the product; there's a lot of good pictorials out there showing some very impressive results.

Things started swinging the other way, though, once I found out (from here: http://www.judsonlabs.com/ProductPhotos/O2PreSpray.htm) that the pre-spray contains DuPont Zonyl. At first, I thought this was just a simple "brightening" chemical; one that would glow under fluorescent lights.... something that the carpet industry frowns on, from what I've read. Turns out it's quite a bit more nasty than that. Check this out: http://www.dupontcouncil.org/PDF Files/ZonylFactSheet.pdf.

Now I'm sure that pretty much every product used by professional CC'er's has (at least one) nasty thing in it that we'd just as soon not know about, and ignorance is bliss, but if you haven't taken the time to look at that DuPont Zonyl fact sheet, you should. Testicular tumors??? Pass, thanks. It says that it can be both inhaled and absorbed through the skin. I guess taking inhalation and absorption precautions would help, but what would the custy think, seeing you all dolled up in a mask/gloves? "Just preventing testicular cancer, Ma'am, no biggie."

FloorPizza

Name
Brandt
Greenie, I think you're right.. as usual.

I've been looking through MSDS sheets on all the stuff I use on a regular basis, and every product I use has at least one nasty thing in it that is at *least* as nasty as Zonyl. It looks like it's just a trade hazard. There's going to be chemicals that just aren't user friendly in pretty much everything that cleans well. Hopefully, the "dosage" is low enough on the really nasty stuff that the level of exposure the user gets isn't enough to cause any of the (rather scary) potential effects.

After looking at the sheets on the stuff I've been using (mostly all ProChem), the Judson O2 Oxygen system doesn't really look all that scary. Guess I better get some ordered and give it a try.

Think I'll stop researching what's in all these cleaners... I do think I'll look in to getting a pre-sprayer that has less of a tendency to atomize pre-spray to reduce inhalation, though.

Edit: Good to see ya, Greenie, and I hope all is well!

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Good post.
I guess if one is worried about that, then applying any fluorochemical, be it Teflon or Scotchguard, should be an issue.
The big difference is- why should it be in the first place in a cleaning product.

Most people on this board, it seems, think it is no biggie. Funny, since we, as cleaners, are the ones who get exposed to it everyday and are the most likely to be most damaged by multiple chemical exposure.

As far as using a respirator in the clients' home , that has never been a problem. I tell my clients that I get exposed to it on a daily basis and that I need to protect myself. They have never had a problem with it and actually like it. It demonstrates better than words that I will also take good care of their property(carpet, upholstery etc;) and health (not using products that are unhealthy.) In over twenty years never heard a single complaint about wearing a respirator.

This is beside the point that it is our moral obligation to tell them what we are adding to their carpet. It is their home and it should be their decision.

These days, with cleaning chemicals and equipment being so good- there really is no need for heavy duty/toxic chemicals to achieve spectacular cleaning results.

FloorPizza

Name
Brandt
kolfer1 said:
Good post.
I guess if one is worried about that, then applying any fluorochemical, be it Teflon or Scotchguard, should be an issue.
The big difference is- why should it be in the first place in a cleaning product.

Most people on this board, it seems, think it is no biggie. Funny, since we, as cleaners, are the ones who get exposed to it everyday and are the most likely to be most damaged by multiple chemical exposure.

As far as using a respirator in the clients' home , that has never been a problem. I tell my clients that I get exposed to it on a daily basis and that I need to protect myself. They have never had a problem with it and actually like it. It demonstrates better than words that I will also take good care of their property(carpet, upholstery etc;) and health (not using products that are unhealthy.) In over twenty years never heard a single complaint about wearing a respirator.

This is beside the point that it is our moral obligation to tell them what we are adding to their carpet. It is their home and it should be their decision.

These days, with cleaning chemicals and equipment being so good- there really is no need for heavy duty/toxic chemicals to achieve spectacular cleaning results.

Very cool...I hope you don't mind me stealing your words, 'cause that's exactly what I'm gonna say. Respirator is going to be standard equipment from now on. Do you use a full-on VOC respirator, or just a dust mask?

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I use the VOC respirator. I'd rather be on the safe side and still walk without a limp in a few years.
Please use my words- you are welcome.

Walt

That's probably a good idea, but the customer would run me out of the home if I did that.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Walt said:
That's probably a good idea, but the customer would run me out of the home if I did that.
Walt, I have been doing it for twenty years and not only that they don't run me out, they keep calling back. It must be the accent.

You are making assumptions-How do you know they will? Have you tried it?

Try it with an explanation and see what happens.

If all fails tell them it was the Mr. Hyde part of your personality that made you do it, and assure them that from now on Dr. Jackal will be in complete control.

Bjorn

now before you guys do a hatchet job on the juice unjustly

let's look at some facts now, I just spent the last 2 1/2 weeks at Judsons making a new truck mount and other things
and helping mix up some juice the chemical in question is only is only 1 1/2 of 1 % by volume now this same chemical is
dispersing agent in paint, and many other cleaning products at very low or minuscule levels

T

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
The point is well taken.
This is definitely not O2/Judson specific.

This issue however is an important one. Multiple exposure risk regarding all carpet cleaning chemicals, particularly ones that can be absorbed by us. It can be absorbrd via pre-spray-inhaled, or other forms of exposure through skin and or evaporation.

We have gone a long way when Terje is the voice of moderation.It must be the shoes!

How about adding to your famous crusade regarding marketing gurus, a new crusade about unhealthy products used in our industry Terje?

It's a worth while cause.

Bjorn

Ok lets all just use plain water to pre spray with and use clear water to rinse with.

Don't forget to drive your hydrogen powered truck to the job to and hook up your windmill to power your equipment

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
from what I read about PFOA's once, they were used to bind teflon to metal etc. It was burned off in the manufacturing process. Most of the exposure is at the plant.

I don't think there are any PFOA's in the teflon we are applying to carpet.

Gary Taylor

Greenie said:
Ah....the risk is in the "dosage".

Relax partner.
Meaning???!!!

Those with larger testicles and can handle larger dosages, those with smaller...well should use smaller dosages.

p.s. I guess I need to learn how that quote botton works.

Walt

kolfer1 said:
Walt said:
Walt, I have been doing it for twenty years and not only that they don't run me out, they keep calling back. It must be the accent.

If all fails tell them it was the Mr. Hyde part of your personality that made you do it, and assure them that from now on Dr. Jackal will be in complete control.

I sell my services on being child safe. You wouldn't believe the number of pregnant women I have worked for. I can't imagine they'd want to hang out if I had a gas mask on. Which come to think of it does have a upside :wink:

I've always thought that you don't use a hammer when a fly swatter will do. And vice versa. So I bring out O2 only when needed - pet damage, or extremely soiled carpets. I also make sure the customer understands why I've chosen this product and get there permission for this and Quat-a-lot or DD12. I explain what it is and how it works and why they need it. I have no problem using a powerful cleaner, and disinfectant on a really soiled carpet with dog urine in it. It's what the carpet needs to be sanitary. On the other hand I don't use in a home where it isn't needed and planet guard and biokleen will do a great job. Many people including pregnant women don't want to be around any "chemicals". It is not for me to judge their decision, but only to comply with there wishes.

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
nothing wrong about using caution but

if you are worried about chemical killing you then you be in the wrong business

I once said something about butyl and carpet cleaners cough once, next thing I know I have the sales guy complaining to me because the guy took his chemical back to the store

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Don't panic. Zonyl is the internal DuPont product code for what we know as Teflon fabric protectant. Versions of this product are what make the cake mix slide so cleanly out of the bag, and what keeps potato chips fresh in paper wraps. Reducing chemical ingestion, whether the products have been found safe or not, makes sense, but you might want to apply a little of your OCD to researching your sources. The link goes to a full-bullshytte phony-front organization site run by the United Steelworkers, who have been trying for several years to gain control of DuPont's factories. I don't understand how a union member can feel higher than a worm when their leaders will lie and try to damage a company to get their way. If the employees don't want the union, they should get lost instead of pulling this kind of garbage.

Of course if pressed the union will claim they're just quoting "studies" done by other bullshytte organizations that are fronts for other extortionists.

PS: The Environmental Working Group quoted is one of those alarmist/extortionist organizations that has made millions from painting DuPont with 3M's problem. DuPont never had 3M's problem (3M no longer has 3M's problem) and the EWG has been very quiet since DuPont finally got fed up and told them they would be sued to extinction if they produced more of this garbage.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Walt said:
kolfer1 said:
Walt said:

I sell my services on being child safe. You wouldn't believe the number of pregnant women I have worked for. I can't imagine they'd want to hang out if I had a gas mask on. Which come to think of it does have a upside :wink:

I've always thought that you don't use a hammer when a fly swatter will do. And vice versa. So I bring out O2 only when needed - pet damage, or extremely soiled carpets. I also make sure the customer understands why I've chosen this product and get there permission for this and Quat-a-lot or DD12. I explain what it is and how it works and why they need it. I have no problem using a powerful cleaner, and disinfectant on a really soiled carpet with dog urine in it. It's what the carpet needs to be sanitary. On the other hand I don't use in a home where it isn't needed and planet guard and biokleen will do a great job. Many people including pregnant women don't want to be around any "chemicals". It is not for me to judge their decision, but only to comply with there wishes.

Being quite familiar with planet guard and Biokleen products we know that their "chemicals" are still rated 1 for Toxicity on the MSDS sheet. Therefore the women who do not want "chemicals" (and I get that quite frequently too,) do not understand that even green products contain "chemicals".

I guess your decision then is to go with the flow and not explain their misconception since the next guy will be quite happy to tell them what they want to hear.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Rightie Tightie said:
Ok lets all just use plain water to pre spray with and use clear water to rinse with.

Don't forget to drive your hydrogen powered truck to the job to and hook up your windmill to power your equipment

No I will just use the NORDIC 1
The worlds clunkiest cleaning contraption.
Organic metal.
Biodegradable.
Non-toxic.
And more..........

Clickety,
Clickety,
Clunk.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom