Judson TNT engine question

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
The 18 Briggs that's on it seems a bit small..it Boggs down under load pretty bad..
Im thinking about buying a 23 vanguard for it..

Do you think the 18 is too small for a TNT?

No idea how old the engine is so it may be about worn out anyhow..

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
There could be oil on the belts causing it to slip and bogging down under load.

The engine could be old as well.

I just acquired my 2nd TNT it has the old style 18 HP Briggs, it's the original 23 year old motor, has been rebuilt and very well taken care of, pulls all the way to 15 HG.

My other TNT which I've had for a year now, has the newer (red style) 18 HP, also does not bog down, but the previous one did when it had oil on the belts.

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
i would think oil on the belts would cause them to slip?

this thing sounds like a mower in deep thick grass when under load lol..thats the best was to describe it

i always thought 18 was too small and thats my main thought..but id rather not spend 1200 bucks of its not going to make a nice difference..

i have had the engine tuned and dialed in by a shop..he said it had good but not great compression and felt it was ok but not great..im just thinking

if 18 is the min for this rig and this 18 is tired then maybe thats it..wonder why they didnt put a 20 or 23 in the tnt..its only a few hundred more at most.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
it's a 36 blower , right?

18 is enough according the blower and pump manufactures specified needed HP

are you winding it up to max RPM? ..you should if not
I'd "guess" MAX RPM is around 3400 rpm

..L.T.A.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Sorry I got it mixed up, slip not bogging.

The TNT has a 45 blower.

I would just replace the engine, I got mine for $1k bucks new from one of those ebay small engine power sellers.

I have the mini tach on one of them, stays at 3400 on full rpm's.

Becker

Name
Becker
hydrmaster makes a 318... 3 blower, 18 hp

Then the 421.. 4 blower 21 hp..

18 with #4, weak..

If I was replacing a engine I'd go bigger.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Dave;

I would change the engine to a more reliable Honda or Kohler with slightly more HP (20 to 22).

A good mechanic should be able to do the swap in a couple of hours with probably only a change of engine bushing.

Larry

Reactions: Desk Jockey

RugWorx

Name
Joe Couch
It could be a belt slipping, rpm's not high enough, or motor could be worn out. I know 18hp seems small but it is enough hp to run the blower with no problem. If you upgrade I would also go to a 20hp kohler. I used to work in a small engine shop and the kohler is by far a better motor then the briggs. That is the motor on my new TNT and it works great. You can change out the motor in less then a hour. Very easy machine to work on.

GaryM

Name
Gary MacKay
I had same problem with my TNT when the belts got bad (just a couple missing teeth/few cracks). Mine is a 20 hp Kohler

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
I believe nitros have the 36 blower and TNT have 45 blower and the c4 has the trilobe blower but I could be wrong. Maybe jerry will stop by and give us exact details on the Judson line.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom