Just a note about your ABS system

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
Just wanted to drop a note about ABS systems so you don't make the mistake I did.

On Monday the ABS light came on in this Chevy van with a SG system that I just got. On Tuesday I had an appointment to have it checked out but I had a job in the mountains to do first thing so I decided I would use this van then just swing over to the shop (it's just a light right?).

The van has the large SG fresh tank in it so we don't have to use hard mountain water to clean so I filled it up and away I went. Got the job done and started down the mountain and found there was no brake pressure to stop the van. After a couple miles going down hill smoke started rolling out from under the van but was not able to get it stopped. I came up on a hairpin curve the van was only doing about 15 and things were looking good to just jump out and let the van go. (didn't do it)

When I got to the bottom of the mountain I was able to ride the ditch to get the van to stop and I'm still alive.

The van was taken to the shop and what was found was the front brakes and rotors were completely burned up on the van. The ABS sensors along with the plastic lug nut covers on the front end were burned off from the heat of riding the brake that far. The rear brakes were shot and the oil seals in the rear axle had melted down.

Point of all this: That ABS light was a warning that the system had a problem (Duh)

The ABS system for some reason thought the brakes were in lock-up and would not allow full pressure to be applied to the brakes so even with pumping the pedal the system would not kick off and allow the brakes to grab tight.

So if your light comes on and brakes feel a little sponge I would have it checked first.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
REminds me off a time coming out of a ski resort with my big truck and trailer...

and it was dark, i looked back and saw a spark come out...thought it was the chain draggin...stopped to look...

rotors were BRIGHT RED :shock: :shock: :shock: , pads looked like molten rock just melting off...

needless to say...thank god for granny gear on a 84 gmc 1 ton...took me damn near an 2 hrs to finish the decent and to come down the "normal" canyon...about 15 miles, which other wise would take 15-20 minutes :shock: :shock: :shock:

so i feel your pain

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Another ABS note... when the sensors go bad.. the computer will not always tell you... I had an accident last winter.. no snow on the ground, now salt or corrosion. But was at stop light, went to turn, everybody stopped quickly.. I was going less than 8mph, the engine had fuel going to it and as I put the brakes on quickly.. ( I had plenty of stopping distance) The truck sped up as the aBS kicked on and similar to larry's they prevented the brakes from making contact like they should have. ABS is not designed to work on slow speeds but the bad sensor did not register with the computer either so I had NO warning.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
ABS is really a step backward, it only really helps inexperienced drivers. the way it works is it lessens overall braking to match that of the wheel that is getting the least amount of traction. case in point, I pulled into a restaurant parking lot, there is a patch of ice that both my right tires run over, however the left sides are on totally dry pavement. I came in a little hot in the parking stall, hit the brakes and the ABS is in full action, pedal goes to the floor and I get the vibrating noise thingy when the ABS is active. this very very nearly caused me to crash the truck.

if you have only one wheel that is on ice or loosing traction the rest of the tires will only get the amount of braking that the tire on ice can withstand, which as we all know is very little. so you essentially have no brakes in this case. I would rather have 3,2 or even 1 wheel braking than all 4 reduced to nothing in the hopes of keeping the car straight, it will just allow me to crash straight I guess. ABS is effective if the pavement is dry or consistently wet and you have to panic stop, that is the only case it will help you, however at slower speeds on ice, it very well could cause you to crash. I personally would rather control ALL the braking myself.

BTW you should not be riding the brakes coming down out of ANY mountain so much. in this situation you should gear down with your auto trans and let the engine rev up to slow you down.

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
steve g said:
BTW you should not be riding the brakes coming down out of ANY mountain so much. in this situation you should gear down with your auto trans and let the engine rev up to slow you down.

When your trying to stay alive you will push as hard as you can to slow down.. lol

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
OHH man...i still gots that autographed fi i got from ya....
it woulda been worth at LEAST six and a quarter!!!

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
bet that van smelled like more then waste water by the time you got to the bottom of that mountain.....

rhyde

Name
rhyde
I hate abs they are more dangerous when conditions are right down hill in rain or stop on a manhole cover or steel plates

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
sweendogg said:
Larry... when the heck did you move to Tennessee? I thought I was missing someone down in Lincoln.

About 6 weeks ago we just packed up and left. Starting all over again.. lol

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom