Just clicked on a banner for the Devastator Filter...

Name
Steve Lawrence
...and the page shows the filter, no pricing, and a phone no. but I can't find out who the supplier is.

I like to know who I'm buying from.

I get the feeling the seller is hiding his/her identity or something, LOL.

What's up?

John Olson

Name
John Olson
They are $390 and I have them in stock. He final figured out what it was actually costing him and what it would continue to cost him to produce them and actually make some money. I ordered 2 2" and 1 2.5" model. I don't think many suppliers will carry them as the margin is not what I would call profitable but if it helps him move more so he can get his prices and profits in line then it is worth it. If you want one I can send it out tomorrow.

Name
I'm Rick James

Are you the only distributor for the filter or is he letting other companies sell them as well?

Name
Steve Lawrence

I'm not saying I want one just yet. They look too big and our Butlers are already overloaded.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
I am sure he is working on getting others but the margins are really low so I'm not sure how many will carry a $400 item that they don't really make any money on. I wouldn't if it wasn't for the fact this man has worked hard had a nut case knock him off in china and is a member here plus he promised to always make then in the USA. As long as he does that ill do my best to support him even if I'm only breaking even at the end.

hogjowl

Idiot™
This is a rookie question, why would I run a filter like this? Don't hate me for asking :\

The answer to your question can become fairly involved, but the short answer is that this filter allows you to filter the debris out of your hose BEFORE it enters your waste tank, which cuts down on the hassle of having to clean your waste tank, and also keeps the STINK down to a manageable level.

Getting a bit more detailed ... it does this in a way that does not restrict your airflow as badly as filters used to.

Getting even more detailed ... this filter offers you an ability to change up your hose configuration to allow for even MORE airflow, but allowing you the option to custom design your filter to allow for 4 to the door set up, 2.5 inch hose to 2 inch configurations, etc.

And, to add icing on the cake ... it is made by a mentally stable individual that will offer you sales and service on ANY day of the week, no matter how he feels, whether he is on his medication or not.

Name
I'm Rick James

Was there something wrong with one of his original designs? I bought a DV filter early this year for $230 or something like that and now $400-$420 for shipping seems pretty steep now, even though it is one of the best filters on the market and tom is a badass dude. I feel he just priced himself out of the market big time now. He may sell a few at that price, but not what he was doing especially in this industry. You even said that few if any distributors are going to carry this filter because of the price point..

Reactions: Total_Rookie
Name
Bruce
Was there something wrong with one of his original designs? I bought a DV filter early this year for $230 or something like that and now $400-$420 for shipping seems pretty steep now, even though it is one of the best filters on the market and tom is a badass dude. I feel he just priced himself out of the market big time now. He may sell a few at that price, but not what he was doing especially in this industry. You even said that few if any distributors are going to carry this filter because of the price point..
If he wasn't making any money selling them at $230 , what other option did he have?

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum

It's just the reality that a product (especialy when it small scale or for a small niche) has to be sold at 3x the manufactoring costs. That is the only way to have a little left on to bone to get distributers involved. It not greed he can probably make more in far less time cleaning a couple of rooms than he can selling a filter.

Last edited:

kingjoelking

Supportive Member
I'm glad I got mine for $230 a few years ago but having used it, if I ever add a second truck I will pay the $400 for a new one. They just work. They do exactly what they are supposed to do. Make it easy to clean out. I just put my 31st hour on my new 370ss and decided to look in the waste tank filter basket and had enough hair in there to fill a thimble maybe. In those same 31 hours I have removed about 16 pounds of wet dog hair from the devastator. (two paint filter bags.) Like I said it just works.

Mikey P

Administrator
how about some Kayak handles?

p_454_260.jpg

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
Guys,
Please understand I OF ALL PEOPLE UNDERSTAND I am a carpet cleaner everyday. What a lot of you need to understand is I have been selling these filters over the past 4-5 years for my cost to make them. $ 225-250.00. We have been working on improving them over this time with all the feed back from all of you that have bought them, selling them at my COST was a good price but it was also very helpful for me to be able get them out there and see how much abuse they REALLY go through in the REAL WORLD TESTING as I am a lot easier on my stuff than most.
We felt that the filter was as close to 100% as we could get it and went to my Fabricator and had it done. We are paying more than what we were selling them for.
Now we are also trying to get stores involved with selling our filter and with that comes a mark up to give them some money to make. We are going to give this a try and see how it goes, It may or may not work out we will have to wait and see. I can say if you do any research on any filter that has more capacity than a pool type filter they are @ 500.00 we have tried very hard to keep it below that.
My attitude towards guys that complain is this and it is no to be rude or disrespectful at all but this is my take. You are upset wit the price of 390.00 but yet you didn't spend the 250.00 and when they were 250.00 you were upset, so you were not really wanting the filter in the first place and that is okay.
It's like the people that call and ask how much is your min and you say $95.00 oh wow well so n so will do it for $55.00 and the next thing you know your cleaning the empty unit for the Property Management because they didn't spend the $55.00 either. So my point is I can keep listening to everyone and keep the price down and never make a dime or I can sell it for what it is truly worth as it has proven itself over and over, out performed filters that are more money.
Is it a must have item NO NO it is not, but for guys that are tired of smaller filters..getting to old and to wise to keep climbing in van to clean out waste tank and basket..burning up pumpouts, want to be treated with respect and not cut off from supplies. Then this filter is a good one to feel that purpose. It is only going to sell to guys that really want a filter and that is the sum of it.
We just had a customer call and ask us if we could make them a totally custom filter estimate to have it made 900.00 so you see it is just what you want to spend your money on or what fixes your needs.
I respect all of you guys and your opinions, and as always thank you for the support and helping me get the filter to what it is today.
We are going to be working on other things hopefully over the winter, and everything we make will be in High quality Stainless Steel. Mikey suggested something and Tim said yep no problem on that product.
We have just done the total for FREE FILTERS just this year is @ $4000.00. I am not greedy just trying to make a decent living.

Last edited:
Name
I'm Rick James
Its more of a little sticker shock really Tom.. from $230 to $390 was a big jump. Its like you charging $59 and then they call you back to clean the carpets to find out your doubled your prices.
Its cool that you price jumped and I didn't know that filter cost so much to make, the filter I have still works great.. This industry has a bad reputation for marking things up, especially with some distributors and manufacturers. But if you were losing money on the earlier filters than who can blame you for having John help you with the pricing on it and what you should be charging, he is a smart guy with that stuff.

So Tom it was no disrespect towards you with the pricing, but as a customer I was just curious why the price almost doubled. I know you made some improvements, especially with the funnel design to allow more air flow and you should always charge for what you feel your product is worth..

I took your filter into Jon Don when I first got it and was showing it to the store manager and he was very impressed with the quality.. so I really do hope this design takes good care of you and your family.. and look forward to the APO you were working on. That too I think would be a big big big hit. I am putting together another van right now and going to stock it with the filter.. so thanks again for making it.

Reactions: Art Kelley

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom