Just got my heater in and its the bomb.

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
I ordered a northstar diesal and kero heater. Ive ran a 3ht little giant before and this this kicks its azz hands down. I think the btu rating is like over 300 if im not mistaken. I know it holds 240 all day long . I also like this machine because its rated at 4000 psi and 4gpm so I plan on doing some hot pressure washing with it. I wonder if I can get a flow switch to reduce the flow for the burner to light . the only thing Im not crazy about is the flow requirment takes a ton of water for the burner to light. But hey thats small fries Im just glad I no longer have to pre scrub every job. I also bought an electric multi sprayer works awesome for scotchguard and not tying up my solution line with the hf.

steampro

Name
Ryan
Awesome, Ive been wanting to do this myself for a while now. What did it cost you?

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
yes those PW type burners are the cats ass..

yes you can find a flow switch as low as .5 gpm i believe...check around for pressure washer places....

Why didnt you ask for one when you got it???

mine was 2k

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
357,000 BTU I believe. I got mine this week. I also have to find a flow switch that will fire with less than 2 GPM. I Think I'll look now.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
https://www.absolutepressurewashers.com ... bd7a376f7e

safety%20controls%20007.JPG

This one looks like the stock one, but fires at .5 GPM.
I sent an email asking if it's compatible with the NS units just to be sure, I will let you know about the response.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
how hard is that 120 volt gonna be to use??? got a plug handy all the time??

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Cool, the Stainless Steel one must be sweet.
I can't wait to get mine running. I am surprised more guys aren't using them. Cheaper than an H4, and 350,000 BTU, assuming you don't mind using diesel or kero.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Those heaters are similar to what Bob Savage uses I believe, as far as maintaining the heat at the wand.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
a stainless burner would work
I had a 12v kero burner, but steel. After a while I could not get clear water out of it, best I got was a clear orange.

Also the flow switch wouldn't kick on and off fast enough or regularly enough and I had temp spikes of 60F PLUS which led to black death using my neptune hose which led to replacing a carpet for $2400. OUCH.

The sound was cool when it turned on and I had a exhaust pipe made for it so there was no issues of black in the truck box. I did have to separate the exhaust pipe in winter and put some styro in to prevent freezing.

Name
Lee Stockwell
I've got two 440,000 btu monsters and Larry's right...look for black water EVERY morning. Just once you'll forget. Almost sensual reaction when it cycles on, like a jet rumble.

Great for getting stray paint off stadium turf, the project we first bought them for.

I wouldn't want to deal with them every day for carpet cleaning. Massive overkill.

Thanks,
Lee

Name
Lee Stockwell
Black iron coils can be a problem in propane heaters as well as kero. For carpet cleaning stainless steel or copper is better.

Copper transfers heat best, but you can't get the right pipe at Lowe's. The stuff that handles 1500-3000 psi is MUCH thicker than typical.

Sapphire Scientific uses this good stuff on their new HX units, with the added benefit of attached fin coils to really boost thermal transfer. First ones I've seen in our industry.

Thanks,
Lee

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Lee Stockwell said:
Black iron coils can be a problem in propane heaters as well as kero. For carpet cleaning stainless steel or copper is better.

Copper transfers heat best, but you can't get the right pipe at Lowe's. The stuff that handles 1500-3000 psi is MUCH thicker than typical.

Sapphire Scientific uses this good stuff on their new HX units, with the added benefit of attached fin coils to really boost thermal transfer. First ones I've seen in our industry.

Thanks,
Lee
Those are pretty ingenious, just washers heated and cooled on the tube

Name
Bill Soukoreff
The General Pump Tri-Magnet flow switches as pictured above are the most reliable TYPE of switches. However please note that GP has changed the specs on that switch and now needs 1.5 GPM flow . There are still many old ones around with the previous specs but you take your chances.

This is now the one you want:

GENERAL PUMP FLOW SWITCHES
The General Pump flow switch is designed to operate in response to a low volume, low pressure flow and still allow for a high pump output flow. The system will provide reliable switching with as little as .75 GPM flow and 18 PSI from the city water supply and will also allow pump output flow up to 18.7 GPM @ 4000 PSI with negligible pressure drop through the valve. General Pump flow switches provide durable, reliable on/off switching for systems that require start/stop capability.
GENERAL PUMP
A member of the Interpump Group
SPECIFICATIONS

Get the number right, because the most common version is with a pilot option which you do not need and costs more.

Also, Kleen-Rite will special order this puppy in for you at half the price of anywhere else you see it.

As for the black water, you will NEVER have to worry about that if you use the right rinse that coats the pipe nice. I repeat NEVER.

My preference for this is Masterblend Soapfree, but there are other options as well.

Enjoy the heat.

Name
Bill Soukoreff
Ron Werner said:
So in order to "enjoy" the benefits of this type of heater, you choose your rinse based on the keeping the coils clean rather than the carpet

No, as there are many rinses to choose from which will accomplish the same thing. I found however that using simply fresh water as a rinse is not a good idea.

I mentioned Soapfree, simply because it is a easy to get product and kicks butt. Judson O2 rinse also worked well in the heater but I did not like the cleaning result and felt it was not up to par. Is that you wanted to hear Ron? !gotcha!

I would NEVER go back to a copper coil.

rick imby

Name
Rick
Ron Werner said:
So in order to "enjoy" the benefits of this type of heater, you choose your rinse based on the keeping the coils clean rather than the carpet

Weren't you just saying you paid 2400 to fix a Black death problem? And you are complaining about using a rinse to solve two problems at once?

The taxpayer - that's someone who works for the federal government
but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.
Ronald Reagan

San Jose Carpet Cleaning

Walmart Straight Talk Slider Phone

The Best Article Spinner

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
I bought a flow switch at a pressure wash place but it only worked with my wand. The low flow of an upholstery tool did not trigger the switch to turn the burner on. Call Jeff at Steam Way Express for a flow switch that will work.

I have been using SteamWay Formula A for years in my Powermatics. It cleans great and coats the coils so I don't worry about dark color start ups.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I did pay that much, and I like to have the choice of rinse. I've the O2rinse for residential and an emulsifier rinse for thrashed job that need a little extra cut.
I removed the kero burner and went with copper hx on the big red and now the CanAm has a 4HT with copper coils, so no longer any issues. A kero/diesel burner would work well with the Big Red when I get it in another truck for a backup since the big red runs a diesel engine. Need the consistency in the heat as well. That 60 degree drop was with the wand triggered, a PITA

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
I remember reading somewhere that Duane Oaxley posted, that he had either a trick, or a product, that would permanently "season" these types of coils against this problem. I can't remember where I saw it.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
after a while damn near anything will coat it...

its when you do a uh uh whats it called that you have to worry about it for about a week...(what is it called)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom