Just leave my pump running?

Name
Ross Martin
What causes the least stress on my pump.

Just leave it running the whole time I am working
or
Turn it off while I'm agitating, etc.

Because I work by myself most times, after I pre-spray I just leave my pump running while I finish setting up and agitating.

Is turning the pump on and off during jobs going to cause more wear and tear than just leaving it running all the time?

Thanks.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
I run Bulter's and actually don't take the time to go outside and shut the cat pump off during agitation....

But during water extraction situations, we do not run the pump at all of course, so it would save some wear and tear on the pump...

If you took the time to shut the pump off it would probably save on the pump, but I just don't find it time efficient enough for me

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
It seems there are some TM pumps that are more affected by idle time, but my Cat pump can and does run for long periods of time when I'm on the phone booking jobs or agitation or moving furniture. It's been about 7000 hours on this one without issues and if I hadn't accidentally run it with the oil drained at the 4000 hour mark and had to replace it , that number would probably be over 11000 hours.
So like Mark says, it isn't worth the time to go outside and shut off the pump if you are only concerned with pump damage. But lately, the last couple of years, I have been keeping my TM off while I prespray and agitate with my red or white pad on my 360i. I am using cheap Chapin 1 or 2 gallon pumps instead of the HF so the truck can be off for the first 1/2 hour to 45 minutes of a job. They cost $10 to $15 and are surprisingly rugged and are more accurate than the HF albeit a little slower.
74_119_chapin-1gallon-pump-sprayer.jpg

Reactions: jcooper

clean image

Name
Carl Maddock
Also depends on TM

Some pump located high, behind air cooled motor can cook Ilif not circulating water to cool

Also must have system to keep circulated pump water getting to hot.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Exhaust heat exchangers need to be filled with water so they don't get too hot. Some designs could allow them to drain or boil dry if not pressurized.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
What type of regulator is what makes the difference.

If you only have a regulator then it can put wear on the pump, if your machine has a true unloaded like a pulsar 2 or 3 then your pump should be just fine.

Like mark stated if not needed at all, turn it off.

Name
Marcus
Make sure the unloader is piped to fresh water tank or dirty water tank and not rerouted back to the pump.
Also change oil at designated time with high quality oil....
wudnt take the time if you can get close to 5000 hours on that pump....
Sometimes when I have a real dirty rental that needs scrubbing I will clean 2-3 rooms and
Then go shut my t uckmount off to scrub the other 2 -3 rooms.i..
If it's gonna take over 15 minutes might as well shut the whole tRuckmount off....

Name
Ross Martin
Make sure the unloader is piped to fresh water tank or dirty water tank and not rerouted back to the pump.
Also change oil at designated time with high quality oil....
wudnt take the time if you can get close to 5000 hours on that pump....
Sometimes when I have a real dirty rental that needs scrubbing I will clean 2-3 rooms and
Then go shut my t uckmount off to scrub the other 2 -3 rooms.i..
If it's gonna take over 15 minutes might as well shut the whole tRuckmount off....

Thinking along those lines, maybe I am better off using a battery sprayer and not running the machine at all until I am ready to extract.

I have instant heat with a diesel burner, so I don't have a warm up time waiting on HX.

Sorta what Art Kelly is saying.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Probably a better idea than the wear & tear on your machine when its not needed, along with the fuel wasted.
Its a bit of a hassle but with the savings in fuel treat yourself to a nice lunch. ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom