Ken Snow's Fringe Fix It recipe.

Mikey P

Administrator
It was 4% peroxide, some Acetic Acid and a drop of a neutral shampoo right?

What ratio?

I want a spray and leave combo that the staff at the plant can fix fringe browning with that's idiot proof.

Jim Nazarian

Name
Jim Nazarian
Finding something that's idiot proof for fringe isn't going to be easy, that recipe sounds interesting, I could use a product that's idiot proof :D

We use Masterblends Fringe bleach...works great.

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
Mikey I use Master blend also . But sometimes I use 1 oz of boost all 2 oz of buff all hot water than four oz of a fabric shampoo to a gallon mix.

call and talk to Paul Lucas Chemax in Michigan...he makes a lot of cool oriental rug cleaning chemicals....

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Mikey;

The oxidizers on the 2 products above should NOT
be used on old rug fringe of natural fibers.

It will further deteriorate the fragile condition.

I would use one of two powder reducing agents to whiten the fringe.

Larry

Jose Smith

First of all, anything you put on fringe should be rinsed off. ANYTHING! Especially an oxidizer.

Also, I'm not sure why you would mix hydrogen peroxide (an oxidizer) with acetic acid. Hydrogen peroxide is chemically accelerated with an alkaline (think Stain Magic). An acid like acetic will accelerate a reducing agent. Jim Smith recently told me the name of some gas that forms when mixing an oxidizer and an acid that turns fibers into colors you don't want them to turn. However, the name escapes me right now.

I have not had to bleach fringe in some time. Just clean them and dry them. Why is your fringe browning? Are you hanging the rugs? In the past, I have used a powdered reducing agent to whiten fringe and it worked wonders.

Jose Smith

rhyde

Name
rhyde
Mikey P said:
Do you leave the Master Blend stuff in or rinse it?

Ken leaves his stuff in

Leave it in but I typically use a teaspoon to a quart of hot water and wet/dry vac it out the excess

Mikey P

Administrator
Yes I have to hang dry my rugs.

Have not had much issue yet but I'm sure I will.

I dont clean for those fruffy movie stars like you do Jose.

Is Powdered Reducing Agent Larry Cobb for Sodium Bisulfate?

Jose Smith

You shouldn't have problems. Different strokes for different folks. Actually, for volume purposes, hanging rugs is a good idea. I am not worrying about volume right now, but I will someday.

Actually, most movie stars, celebrities and millionaires I do work for don't have as many nice Oriental rugs as one would think. Some do, but many of them have nice custom rugs made.

Sodium bisulfite is a powdered reducing agent. As I said, I have had rugs where cotton fringe had to be whitened for one reason or another. I can give you some good hints for this.

Jose Smith

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Jose Smith said:
First of all, anything you put on fringe should be rinsed off. ANYTHING! Especially an oxidizer.

In the past, I have used a powdered reducing agent to whiten fringe and it worked wonders.

Jose Smith

The 2 types:
1. DC FiberBrite (Bisulfite)

2. DC Stripper Powder (Hydrosulfite)

Larry

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
I'd just brush on some Bridgepoint haitian cotton shampoo.

It won't leave any room for error for your chimps.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Jose Smith said:
I actually used sodium metabisulfite.

Jose Smith

BINGO! Potato whitener! No brown for fruit too.

Sodium metabisulfite or sodium pyrosulfite (IUPAC spelling; Br. E. sodium metabisulphite or sodium pyrosulphite) is an inorganic compound of chemical formula Na2S2O5. The name is sometimes referred to as disodium (metabisulfite, etc). It is used as a disinfectant, antioxidant and preservative agent.

G

Just why not use Chemspec Fringe Clean, Everyonr talks about mixing their
own. I have been using Pro's Choice Urine Remover on all stains and it's realy working!

I sprayed some on a milddew stain under a potted plant and it removed it
in a snap of a finger :lol:

Rex Tyus

Jose Smith said:

Also, I'm not sure why you would mix hydrogen peroxide (an oxidizer) with acetic acid. Hydrogen peroxide is chemically accelerated with an alkaline (think Stain Magic). An acid like acetic will accelerate a reducing agent. Jim Smith recently told me the name of some gas that forms when mixing an oxidizer and an acid that turns fibers into colors you don't want them to turn. However, the name escapes me right now.

I have not had to bleach fringe in some time. Just clean them and dry them. Why is your fringe browning? Are you hanging the rugs? In the past, I have used a powdered reducing agent to whiten fringe and it worked wonders.

Jose Smith

http://www.lenntech.com/water-disinfect ... c-acid.htm

Mikey P

Administrator
I could have sworn Ken said he was not rinsing his solution out.

Hagopian cleans close to 100 rugs a day so I think I'll take his advice on what works.

Ron K

If we apply anything the least we do is Vac it out if not rinse then Vac. The solution thats left leaves a minimal amount of residue that helps while drying ie hatian when drying. That being said make sure they are cleaned during the washing process and not just bleached after the rug cleaning.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Mikey;

Just let us know what product you used...,
when you have to replace your first rug fringe.

All rug cleaners eventually run into problems...,
but some methods accelerate the process.

Larry

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
The Great Oz said:
Oxidizers should NOT be used for cleaning wool rugs !!

Where are the experienced rug plant guys ?

Guys that get away with using oxidizers on everything believe they do no wrong, and there is no way to convince them of anything different until they get caught and have to pay for the damage they do. Most don't get caught, so why should they care?

Bryan has lots of first-hand experience cleaning wool rugs in a plant operation.

I would respect his opinion.

Larry

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom