Ketchup stain on cotton turkish rug

Moser Bros.

I have a cotton rug to clean, but I got a small amount of color transfer from the blue and red fibers. I'm affraid it's going to be a bleeder. The customer figures it's ruined either way so I'm going to clean it with natural fiber cleaner, cold water, low presure and a glide, and I'll dry it with an airpath and an a ace fan.

For the ketchup stain I have some stain magic for wool, I don't trust the neutralizer.

Name
Ron lippold
hatian cotton shampoo done in the sun and you will be a hero i just did a hatian chair with a big grape juice stain........ cherry 8)

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Alot of rug washers will tell you they will wash it, sour it, and throw it outside on a sunny day to dry flat. A picture of the dye bleed would be helpful. If the bleeding ended up soaking into natural cotton(non dyed) then it would be an easier task. However, if it was bled into lighter colors, you could end up removing all of the dye in the cotton. DO not use the stain magic for wool on a cotton rug... a strong hydrogen peroxide formula can heavily degrade the cotton. If you need to strip dyes from cotton there are much better products on the market.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
These bleed so badly and are worth so little they aren't worth cleaning. A lot of the moving color can be post-manufacturing applied ink that will bleed out no matter how you handle it.

You may be able to carefully hand-finesse it through a cleaning process, but the result won't be worth your time.

Burn.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
Must be a Kisery rug,.. i wash them but they can be a little tricky and they are not something to start practice on.

Mikey P

Administrator
The Great Oz said:
These bleed so badly and are worth so little they aren't worth cleaning. A lot of the moving color can be post-manufacturing applied ink that will bleed out no matter how you handle it.

You may be able to carefully hand-finesse it through a cleaning process, but the result won't be worth your time.

Burn.

Listen to this guy.

Moser Bros.

I got the stain out. I used an eye dropper with the 3 part stain magic for wool that has a neutralizer. I used the foam from Cobb's Haitian cotton shampoo and turned the water pressure down to 250 psi lightly warm water extracted, then speed dried the rug with an AirPath and an Ace fan. If the rug was ruin the customer was just going to chuck it.

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner
Usually mercerized cotton Turkish rugs are pretty stable during cleaning, and actually wash up MUCH better than rayon/viscose pieces.

We usually dry these puppies fuzzy side down, out flat, after an acid rinse, so if there is any wicking of problem areas, or any slight dye migration, or any slight yellowing not alleviated by the acid rinse - these all wick to the back of the rug.

Nice thing about cotton - whether it's a little migration, or mystery stains, Chlorox works wonders. :)

But Bryan is right... many are not worth much effort. However, many owners have bought these rugs IN Turkey at a tourist trap, and have some sentimental attachment to them.

Lisa

P.S. Post I did today on my blog about viscose rugs being garbage. Not new news to any of you. :)

http://www.therugchick.com/2010/05/rug-reminder-viscose-rugs-are-garbage/

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom