Killing mold - myth or fact?

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Talking with a house cleaner today, she said she read that using rubbing alcohol would kill mold better than bleach. Apparently the alcohol will kill the root.
anyone hear anything about this?
Any potential problems/odors?
would rubbing alcohol damage carpet fibres?

S

sam miller

I would think delamination could be possible on cheap carpet, and bacteria or mold love to party so why not gettem drunk?

Jk seriously if it cleans wounds it would kill germs too, think listerine in your mouth.

Never heard it was better then bleach, but then again bleach on a carpet not so good an idea.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Sodium Hypochlorite (bleach) does not kill mold spores, merely makes them invisible.

The spores react to the bleach by going into panic mode and reproducing at a fast rate.

Acetic Acid (vinegar) kills mold spores.

This stops their reproducing at the root level.

I doubt that Isopropyl Alcohol (rubbing alcohol) would kill mold spores.

But they may just appreciate a soft massage.

That's what I've been taught from some of the best.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Killing it is not the answer for her anyway. Even dead spores can be allergenic. Removal is the best answer if the item has more than just settled spores.

Hopefully she understands mold is everywhere and its pretty harmless until levels become elevated or unless she or a family member is sensitive to molds.

Plenty of thinks she can do to control her environment, clean the air ducts, get a high efficiency air filter, not the rock catcher most of us have. Vacuum regularly with HEPA filtration, dry up any leaks in and around plumbing at the first sign of moisture.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Doc Holliday said:
Killing it is not the answer for her anyway. Even dead spores can be allergenic. Removal is the best answer if the item has more than just settled spores.

Hopefully she understands mold is everywhere and its pretty harmless until levels become elevated or unless she or a family member is sensitive to molds.

Plenty of thinks she can do to control her environment, clean the air ducts, get a high efficiency air filter, not the rock catcher most of us have. Vacuum regularly with HEPA filtration, dry up any leaks in and around plumbing at the first sign of moisture.

We're not talking about personal hygene Rich. Good God, you always get so personal. shiteatinggrin

G

I have not done a mold remediation job in three years so I am no expert. But because I am not an expert I follow the standards and protocols carefully. Not just to do the job right but if things go south I can document my steps as a defense against any possible litigation. Screwing up a mold job is darn risky business, the liability is huge. So don’t use Alcohol until you can find it in a legitimate published standard.
Best wishes,
Barry O’Connell
www.SpongoBongo.com

steve g

Name
steve garrett
its not a matter of if its dead or not. imagine a cockle burr, one that has sharp pointy things on it that poke your feet, stick to your clothes etc. does pouring bleach on it "kill" it, I suppose but its still sharp and pokey. same with mold. however I do think if used in high enough concentrations ie straight, bleach will digest mold. but that requires wearing a respirator and dealing with serious fumes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom