Knee high guys

starrett

I do the same, only a high flow box from Cobb that I modified to take two queen size knee highs. No apparant effect on cfm, but I do try to pay attention and check after every job, during job if extremely nasty

Becker

Name
Becker
did ya join silkies and just have them send you a number of pairs monthly? Or do ya hit up Target/Kmart?
What color do you find works best?

I'd have to think you loss a little CFM.

Years ago I helped a guy build a muscle car. He use to put screen in front of his radiator to be able to clean bugs out easier.
I recall the lashing he got from a pro about reducing the cooling performance from a pro builder.

Might be BS, but he quoted stats from a test.

My thought would be are ya able to keep the filter clearer with it than without? If so. In the end you are ahead of the game and on the curve having higher CFM

Name
Bill Soukoreff
starrett said:
I do the same, only a high flow box from Cobb that I modified to take two queen size knee highs. No apparant effect on cfm, but I do try to pay attention and check after every job, during job if extremely nasty

How did you modify it? Any pics?

Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Lyman
Okay, there are queen size of these things. Wonder why I had a hard time stretching that thing over that big hole.

John Watson

I have a 2 1/2 incher coming out of the swiming pool filter with 2 in coolcuff adapter going in. Drilled the holes like Jim said and have no problems. we normaly get 2 jobs per Knee high, unless the job is filled with pet hair whichwasn't removed with your prevac. Hair, plugs the Knee high in a hurry

starrett

Just used a cut off wheel to cut a notch in each long side of the filter basket right where the handle is in the center(prochem style lint basket) this allows for one of the queens silkies to be stretched over each half of the basket.

Name
Bill Soukoreff
starrett said:
Just used a cut off wheel to cut a notch in each long side of the filter basket right where the handle is in the center(prochem style lint basket) this allows for one of the queens silkies to be stretched over each half of the basket.

Good idea, thanks. I am using two pool filters with the knee highs and it works great, but hate using them in the winter.

Name
George Valliant
Remove pre-filter basket, stretch knee highs over waste tank filters, replace them about once a month.

No inline pool filters, no lint baskets. Straight from the wand to the waste tank.

Anyone else running this config? Granted, not recommended for APO's.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Carpet Cleaning Fool said:
Remove pre-filter basket, stretch knee highs over waste tank filters, replace them about once a month.

No inline pool filters, no lint baskets. Straight from the wand to the waste tank.

I double mine up and pull the top one off in about 2 weeks and then at the end of the month I pull the last one and rinse the filters off and put 2 more on each one......

IMG_3792.jpg

IMG_3790.jpg

I still use the modified pool filter if I have a home with a lot of pet hair or a real nasty one.....

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Jim...about that filter.....

Why don you use a Stainless Steel one!
Those don't look lik you can just slip them off?

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
bob vawter said:
Jim...about that filter.....

Why don you use a Stainless Steel one!
Those don't look lik you can just slip them off?

not 100% sure what ya mean Bob

both filters are stainless steal type the unscrew from the tank....
with plenty of clearance to slip the hose off

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
i don get it... why the stockings over them? I jus pull my SS one off and RINSE it off when needed...

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
bob vawter said:
i don get it... why the stockings over them? I jus pull my SS one off and RINSE it off when needed...

because the mesh stainless clogs up with crap and is hard to get out and keep clean....
and it is a lot easier and faster to just pull the hose and keep going....

when I first got this truck the old filters were trashed because he had to wire brush them to get the crap out...
One of the first things I did was pull the out side POS filter baskets off and replaced the tank filters and start putting the hose on them...I am going on 3 years with this set up and the filters still look like I bought them yesterday...........

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
I spray mine off from the INSIDE...that seems to work perfect...
i jus never GOT the nylons and the booties.......thing!

Numero Uno

Name
Caesar
Change them out on the hour for a variety of reasons...

As they get larger with debris,they tend to weaken.Elimante the broken kne hi mess ...

They cost pennies so make sure they are fresh,walgreens bubble packs /walmart etc...Been using them since early 80s. 1983 in Butler Carpet Cleaning we would use daily an change.At Caesars we turned it into a hourly item . They way it is set up here we can change in under 1 minute tops .

You read old archives in ICS ,on me there is a usp for promoting Sales actually using these .Helps promote faster recleanings versus slower roatation options.

You can get the heavy duty commerciual versions .I belive Butler still moves those off.But honestly the smaller denier commercial ladies version is quite satisfatory...

The Jim Martin version ofthe pool filter was quite ingenious also .Grats Jim Martin...

Hello All, this is the original bought more panty hose then any lady in the planet signing off lol...

Caes-09...Rock On Mikey Borders...

Steve Smith

Carpet Cleaning Fool said:

I run this configuration, but on jobs we don't prevac, there is a lot of junk coming out with the waste water.

Are you filtering your waste water when you drain?

hogjowl

Idiot™
I run that configuration. I have to change the knee highs every week. While cleaning schools this month, I was having to change the knee highs every day, and my filters and tank was clogged with sand. So, I pulled out Duane's filter box and run that while cleaning the schools.

Blue Monarch

Supportive Member
Name
Dirk Wingrove
Steve,

Pop a knee high over the drain hose. Prevents the mess. That's what I've been doing since I fired my APO and pool filter.

Greenie

bob vawter said:
I spray mine off from the INSIDE...that seems to work perfect...
i jus never GOT the nylons and the booties.......thing!

CAUTION!

Just cuz they LOOK clean, don't mean they are.

I've had more than one customer with vacuum loss issue....couldn't figure it out...finally unscrewed what looked like a CLEAN Flow-Ezy and fired the unit up sans filter....woooooosh! The vacuum was obviously being restricted with the factory filter.

I'm an even greater proponent of the knee-highs now, AND replacing the SS flow-ezy every other year just because...I no longer trust them.

Wouldn't that be funny if Bawb went filterless and discovered he had MORE vacuum....all these years.

Mike Draper

Best thing I ever did to my Butler was get rid of the damn filter box. Vac hose goes straight to the waist tank and then there is a stainless steel screen just before the blower. I clean it off once a week in the summer. Rinse my blower out every 2 weeks and grease it up good.

Supersucker

To clean the stainless blower filter, do not use a wire brush aggressively.
Brush off the easy part then use a propane plumbing torch to burn/melt the hair and carpet fibers.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom