knocking kohler

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
came outside to check on the truck mount and it wa came outside to check on the truck mount and it was knocking shut it dow the land hog was the land hog was clogged and the waste t and the waste tank was almost full fired it back up and no knocking

I came out and check the I came out and check the truck mount and it was knocking again shut it down let it cool first shut it down let it cool fired it back up no knocking ran for about 25 minutes and still no knocking

Came home and changed the oil to Valvoline 10-30

and is a sound like I'm heading and is a sound like I'm heading for a valve job

Thank you

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
I hate when my land hog clogs....... especially twice in the same sentence.

Thursday evening fun - try reading that second paragraph to yourself in a foghorn leghorn voice :)

View attachment 1041

Last edited:

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
My bet is the valve lifters. Use a long screwdriver, put the end of the handle against your ear and touch the business end to different locations on each cylinder head. The banging is going to more noticeable in one location than other.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
Ok lets try this again. My new droid update screwed up my phone.

I was on a job and the tm had been running about 3 hours. Went outside and the kohler was making a knocking sound. The Lint Hog was full and the waste tank was near full. Shut it down cleaned filters empty tank ck oil. It was in the middle so gave it a little oil. Finished the job and no knocking. This morning no knocking for 2 small jobs. On the 3rd jod it starts knocking at the end of the job. shut it down wrap up the job then started it again and no knocking.

Came home and changed the oil to valvoline 10-30 it had lucus in it. The stuff was like water at 38 hours.

So do the valves go out on these often ?
How often do you change your oil? I know a guy in town that changes his oil every Friday. He has over 6000 hours on his motor

It is a 22hp 1 to 1 with 45 blower

Thank You.

Last edited:

Ron K

Shane, 1/2 Dowel will work and it's safer in case he uses the wrong end and slip's and then will always text like that!

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
Changed the oil to valvoline 10-30. did 3 jobs today machine ran for about 4 hours total and no knocking. Maybe lucus oil sucks for small engines.
I will keep you posted if it comes back.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
Well #2 cylinder head was cracked and #1 was about to go on the head gasket. One bad lifter and the cam shaft is worn. I think I will get a new short block next year.

steve_64

lucas foams up and doesnt circulate properly by itself. maybe not foams up but becomes aerated. you also should use straight 30 weight, 10 w 30 has detergents that break down and can foam up also. use a non detergent oil anyway whatever wieght you use. talk to your mechanic about it.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
So the knock came back after 15 hours. Ordered new lifters and camshaft. Another cleaner said to use 20-40 oil until I get the parts put in. I went with 10-40 because it has been freezing here and that thick of oil with a plastic oil gear concerns me.

How thick of oil can you run in a kohler.

steve_64

i dont know about your motor but ive ran straight 50 weight in motors that knock and smoke.they are already junk though. i was told to use 90 weight gear oil but was afraid. like i said do what your mechanic says, i havent messed with these issues in 20 years.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Don't bother with the camshaft. Have you decided which lifters are knocking? Just put the lifters in and try it that way. The lifters are relatively cheap and easy to replace. I'll bet there's nothing wrong with the cam.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
So the knock came back after 15 hours. Ordered new lifters and camshaft. Another cleaner said to use 20-40 oil until I get the parts put in. I went with 10-40 because it has been freezing here and that thick of oil with a plastic oil gear concerns me.

How thick of oil can you run in a kohler.

a TM engine is never below 30 degrees
Forget all that oil additives and wonder oils
Buy Valvoline 10-40 and run it year round .

Ron, the Subaru is just another Chinese import

..L.T.A.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
When we put the new heads on we seen that the cam shaft was worn. Another cleaner had the same problem and put in new lifters and they went bad in 2 days. He ran the 20-50 to stop the knock until he replaced the motor.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
Well the cam shaft was wasted. Big flat spots on it. New camshaft and lifters on Sunday and was back in service on Tuesday. Runs nice now.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
I have only put 87 hr on it. It was a used steamway when I bought it and the tach had a dead battery so I have no clue. It ran fine when I got it and in 50hrs it went to crap.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom