Kohler Oil Leak

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
I have a 22hp used kohler I am installing on a tm I'm building. When I was working on it I noticed some oil coming down the #2 cylinder head side. So I took off the heat shields and looked at the head. Can't find anything but all of the oil is below the gasket. Motor runs good but I don't want to deal with this when it is put into service.
Do kohlers have a history of leaks or am I sitting on a problem about to happen.
I have no clue how many hours are on the motor cuz the tach/ hour meter broke.

Thank You

Jay D

Name
Jay D
look at the valve cover where the holes are, sometimes they are split. You might change your valve covers too. Make sure your oil filter is not too tight. My kohlers were great engines but they usually had a little oil leak here or there. No bigge as long as it is not leaving a puddle to mark its spot. ALWAYS CHECK THE OIL EVERY DAY OR JOB. My new ones seemed to burn a little oil right out of the box. I had a 27 and a 30. Enjoy. :mrgreen:

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
Not the valve cover. It's below the head gasket and was running down the by the oil filter.

K

Kabluey

You should really take some pictures and show us the TM that you are working on.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
I tried to take pictures but they didn't come out to well. But I found my leak. The bottom rear head bolt on the #2 cylinder is leaking where the bolt goes through the head. Nothing from the gasket.
Strange. Is this a normal Kohler thing???

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
Found it. The plate where the oil sensor goes is leaking. Oil breather kit. What a pita to get the gasket cleaned off. It's like a rock.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom