Kohler's Water Cooled Engines

Farenheit251

While looking for a Kohler part I noticed they had some water cooled engines which I think are new. They looked similar in footprint and I was surprised they didnt cost much more.

Will we be seeing these on truckmounts soon?
What would be the advantges/disadvantages?

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
I have a five-plus-year-old machine with a 25 hp w/c Kohler. They've been around for awhile.

everfresh1

Name
Jamie Cohen
Larry Cobb said:
Brian;

We have using Kohler water-cooled 31 HP engines for many years.

Last year, we switched to the new 34 & 38HP air-cooled Kohler engines.

We think they are the most reliable engines for TMs.

Larry

Why is that Larry? I thought water-cooled engines are better and last longer becouse they run a little cooler especially in a confined space like a van :?:

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Ron Werner said:
disadvantage is the need for a radiator, fan, and coolant and thermostat
Just something more to maintain or repair.

Air cooled is nice, just need good vents and intake fans

... Don't forget the water pump. Of all things related to a WC engine, it's the most likely to have problems over all.

Greenie

Yes, even though Judson probably makes the simplest HX machine on the planet, (Reactor), an air cooled engine is just more reliable, just one more reason Mikey's TNT500 (Lunchpail) has a 30hp air cooled kohler as it's powerplant.

So...I agree with Duane and Larry.

everfresh1

Name
Jamie Cohen
disadvantage is the need for a radiator, fan, and coolant and thermostat
Just something more to maintain or repair.

... Don't forget the water pump. Of all things related to a WC engine, it's the most likely to have problems over all.

Humm....Good points I didn't think about all the additional parts that you could have problems with in a water cooled engine I might reconsider my thinking on them :mrgreen:

Farenheit251

I was curious if they would be quieter like a car. I don't understand why a car can produce over a hundred HP and run at 3000 rpm with virtually no noise but a TM can't be quieter. I'm pretty sure the answer is going to be that it can be done but how much do I want to spend.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
It's not just the silencer, but the plumbing to and from it. for instance, if you use the same silencer, with a given length of plumbing, placing the plumbing either before or after the silencer makes a noticeable difference, as does taking that same length and dividing it, so that half is before the silencer and half is after it.

In automobiles, you have the "luxury" of being able to use longer lengths of plumbing and decide where it is to be located more than in truck mounts, which have less comparative length available.

In other words, it's directly- related to the size of the area you have to pack the silencing system into.

And it has to be done with the increasingly stringent EPA emissions requirements in mind, which dictates the back- pressure allowed, since back- pressure affects emissions. This wasn't such a concern years ago when heating systems derived from exhaust systems weren't the norm. But today, with exchangers being 80% of the market and growing, it's substantial.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Duane Oxley said:
It's not just the silencer, but the plumbing to and from it. for instance, if you use the same silencer, with a given length of plumbing, placing the plumbing either before or after the silencer makes a noticeable difference, as does taking that same length and dividing it, so that half is before the silencer and half is after it.

In automobiles, you have the "luxury" of being able to use longer lengths of plumbing and decide where it is to be located more than in truck mounts, which have less comparative length available.

In other words, it's directly- related to the size of the area you have to pack the silencing system into.

Why not extend the exhaust plumbing out of the TM frame and into the van?

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Ease of installation is compromised that way.

And space is wasted.

And then there's the lesser negative of the system looking unprofessional and like it was "thrown together", which I, personally, don't like.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Duane Oxley said:
Ease of installation is compromised that way.

And space is wasted.

And then there's the lesser negative of the system looking unprofessional and like it was "thrown together", which I, personally, don't like.

Route the engine exhaust through the van floor, then add as much pipe as necessary to optimize silencing. The same could be done for blower exhaust.

ps. Gettin kinda late in Etlana. Don't you got carpet to clean in the morning?

K

kyle albero

I have had three water cooled truckmounts. Your van amost always outlasts your aircooled truckmounts. There is a reason almost all the major manufacturers are making watercooled truckmounts for there top of the line machines. With good maintenance watercooled is the way to go.

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
I thought the reason for water cooled engines was because these machines are all heat exchanger units. If you use propane or kerosene, you don't need the water cooled engine to heat your cleaning water.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom