Kool-Glide question

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
I went to do some repairs in an apartment. A teenage girl had broken in and was living there. She was smoking in there and putting out the cigarettes in the carpet. I cut out about 30 cig burns and did a few bigger repairs.

About 8 hours later the prop manager called me and said someone had set the place on fire. I just about CRAPPED my pants. I was afraid that I had somehow caused the carpet to start smoldering with the Kool Glide and eventually catch fire.

Fortunately for me, the people had broken in again and set the carpet on fire with a burning sock.

My question is, is it possible to get the tape too hot and start a smoldering effect that could eventually catch fire. I have over cooked the repairs before and made the carpet smoke (and cause myself more work). Will the tape of carpet extinguish itself?

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Unless there is an accelerant and continued heat. Most synthetics would melt that and would probably be about the end of it. Remember you need oxygen too. That is why more times than not, if the tape is going to flame up at all it will be at the end of the carpet where there is oxygen adding to the heat. Now if you cuased a small super heated area and there was a flamabale substance in the carpet like a solvent. I'd say there may be a chance, but if you can reheat an area with the KG after 30 seconds, I'd say the heat is dissipating rather quickly.

Scott Rogers

yes it is possible, I have seen it. metal under the carpet can cause the area to super heat and burn. could be from tackless or even a pad staple.We cauht it early enough we where able to put it out with a wet rag,

Seam was burned then while stretching the other side of the room we noticed the smoke from the melting carpet smoldering

Name
Shawn Forsythe
I've seen KoolGlide tape char the paper backing, so it's possible, however unlikely. Then again, you might also start a fire with a clothes iron, if you really tried. I also think that an experienced user also knows how much time for a particular section takes, and how much over-melts the glue.

Any user of a KoolGlide really needs to practice the use to master it, with small sections, and not on a customer. it doesn't take long before you are doing perfect repairs and all but eliminating the possibility you are overheating the tape.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom