Labrum tear

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
well as i see it is a shoulder injury...i went and looked (mine has been bad for a few years now)

and maybe thats what I have...to cheap to go to a DR and hope it heals on its own....

ummm give me a call tomorrow and we can share symptoms....i get by, but it has to be rotary...wanding for very long just about kills me

Reactions: Steve Lawrence

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
Labrum is a soft fibrous tissue rim that surrounds the socket which helps stabilize the joint .. the one I'm asking about is in the hip joint .. it's often overlooked when patients complain of back pain .. the joint isn't really where the pain is felt .. the chain reaction to the tear creates pain elsewhere making it hard to figure out what you're hurting from .. once you become unstable due to a tear, your sacral (SI joint) shifts and creates pain felt in the hip, lower back, groin, ass and even in the legs .. our repetitive motion wanding, squatting and bending puts us at high risk for a tear ..

For the hurting members without (MRI) confirmation - yous should check out www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/.../PMC2697339/ to see if this info may help .. click on the comprehensive review

This URL connects me using my phone with no problem .. try searching " a comprehensive review of hip labral tears"

Last edited:

Wandslinger

Name
Tom Meyer
I've had two friends recently experience them. One already had his surgery. Apparently they hurt like hell and come off as back pain as mentioned above.

Able 1

Name
Keith
I had the surgery last year.. It's the same surgery that Arod had. My pain wasn't crazy bad every day, but when I aggravated it I would limp the rest of the day..

Able 1

Name
Keith
I thought the worst part was when they go inject the stuff in the joint and watch it on ultra sound. They have come a long way with this surgery. They used to just fix the tear(not what was causing it) now they fix the tear and clean up the bone so it doesn't happen again(or so they say). I probably should have had mine fixed sooner then I did, I had times before I when to bed that I could hardly walk. Crouching and twisting aggravated mine the most. If I worked on my truckmount I would limp the rest of the day.

Do your research on the doctors in your area since this is a relatively new surgery. I went to a doctor that worked with professional athletes.

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
What exactly were you feeling and where .. how did you know it was labral .. was it an immediate find .. how long was your recovery time ..

Able 1

Name
Keith
When I aggravated it I would feel it in the joint, but I had all the other pains mentioned above. To figure out that you have a tear typically they will have you lay on your back and move your leg/hip in circular motions all around if there is an area or spot/position that you get pain from that is a sign. When I went in they had a good idea after they moved my hip around, next comes the injection.. I think it took me a good 2 months to recover.

Reactions: Spurlington

Able 1

Name
Keith
I would say if it isn't "killing you" wait till you have someone trained,and do it over winter, so you don't lose any work. The surgery is no big deal just take it easy after.. I think my insurance paid around 19,000 for the surgery.

Able 1

Name
Keith
ohhh thought it was the shoulder one.....

Same shit either way, same issues for the shoulder.. For rotator cuff testing they usually have you try to lift you arm against resistance, as far as I have seen it it was done straight up from your side. If you move your shoulder joint around and find a pain spot could be a tare in the cartilage. If you have, or don't have shoulder issues don't sleep with your arms out stretched over you head, that's no good..

Able 1

Name
Keith
That's about the only position I can sleep in unfortunately. And yeah my shoulders do hurt a bit.

With my hip issues I would sleep on my back with my knees bent straight up, I know weird as hell! I have found the older I get the more susceptible in am to sleep related injuries.LOL Best to sleep on your back(like in a coffin)LOL, or on your side(that's how I roll).

steve_64

i had my shoulder tore up years ago. never went to the doctor but couldnt move my arm for a couple months. and then i could only get it shoulder height.

have had back trouble since 25, went a year with constant crippling pain.

i clean for a chinese massage parlor and get great rates for massages. its the only thing that helps keep me working besides the chiropractor.

i dont trust doctors much. id rather live with the pain.

Able 1

Name
Keith
You don't trust doctors, but you went to a chiropractor? WOW! I never had a good outcome from a chiropractor.

Well, what do you do when you can't move? Still just live with the pain with your bills going unpaid because you can't work?

Posture is a big deal as far as back pain especially coming into winter, we will spend more time in front of MB in generally bad posture. To keep moving in winter is a must especially in the northern states.

Able 1

Name
Keith
And Paul don't worry about all negative outcomes that you read on the net.. The only people that post, have had negative outcomes. The rest of the world is just happy that it worked, and never go back to respond. Find the best doctor for this in your area, and you will have no problems..

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
Well, what do you do when you can't move? Still just live with the pain with your bills going unpaid because you can't.

This would be true .. I do less work because of my pain issue .. There was a day where I was hurting so much, a customer asked if I thought she should have a chair cleaned while I was there .. Instead of saying, "Oh yeah, it's better to do it today to avoid a min charge." I end up praying in my head she decides not to do it when I respond with," well, it doesn't really look that bad. I could do it today or maybe do it on our next visit." That's pain controlling me. So better to get it fixed if possible.

My Chiro convinced me it was a disc issue that would get better over time .. Well it's been 4 years .. About 2 weeks ago I had a job to clean a sofa a 15 year old gymnast lived on during her recovery from hip surgery .. lady said her daughter had a labral tear .. I'm nodding oh ok .. thinking to myself - what the hell is that - 15 yr old with hip surgery - what, is she part German Shepard ..

So I go to next job of the day .. I warn the 70 ish old lady to be careful it's slippery blah blah blah .. she says, " Yeah, I just got over having hip surgery. I had a labral tear and I don't need to re-injure myself." I said WTF did you just say .. ok I didn't say that but I was like what exactly is a labral tear .. as she's describing the associated pain and of course a long drawn out story as the lonely always do - I just couldn't believe what I was hearing - she described the same symptoms I experience all of the time ..

I couldn't wait to get back to the shop and look up labrum tears .. after reading the review, I was convinced I had a tear .. with my occupation, it was very likely I have this issue .. so now I'm on to making arrangements for an MRI - actually 2 , 1 for lower back to check disc and 1 for hip to check for tear

And Paul don't worry about all negative outcomes that you read on the net.. The only people that post, have had negative outcomes. The rest of the world is just happy that it worked, and never go back to respond. Find the best doctor for this in your area, and you will have no problems..

I try to keep an open mind .. I want to hear both negative and positive .. just because it didn't work for Joe doesn't mean it won't work for Jim .. I'd prefer a labral tear over a herniated disc .. labral tear seems to be repairable

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom