Lap tops

Able 1

Name
Keith
I'm looking into using my credit card points to get a lap top. How many gb do i need to run quick books? What brand names/model work for you guys? I do a little with publisher but all and all it would just need to run quick books. Do any of you have them in your vans? Will they with stand the heat?

Thanks,
Keith

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
i use quickbooks pro for all my invoicing and estimates.

i run a dell d630 laptop. its awsome. and is road ready. its made to be carried around. i have the extra insurance on it to make sure its replaced when and if i ever break it.

a laptop is the best tool i have ever bought as far as landing jobs goes. i put pics of stuff i have done in a slide show and use that to show people when they have questions.

pics on my laptop have landed me 50% more jobs!! people like seeing what you can and have done.

Scott

I wouldn't consider any Vista-based laptop that was under 2 GB. It will run with 1 GB but an extra GB isn't that much more $$ and makes a big difference in my experience.

Able 1

Name
Keith
So could i get one that is like $700.00? Or should i expect ot pay more?

redbird

I have been looking at the 7 inch laptops that best buys and circuit city have on their web sites . They start at 459.00. they dont have a disc drive..... I have been trying to find a way to load a program on it ?? no one knows for sure if i can. I might just buy it and give it a try! I have read reviews on the internet and they have all been good. I did get to use one at best buys,,,,, they are the only store that seems to stock them. Not all stores!

Then what to do for a printer???

John Buxton

I cant say enough good things about my Lenovo laptop. It beats Dell hands down. PLus if you need to talk to a customer service rep, they are in America!!!

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
just get an external cd rom drive to load up your programs. and detach when you dont need it

R

Ross

You get what you pay for with laptops. The more RAM the better. I'd suggest any Intel chip (quad core if you can afford it) which is going to run much cooler than AMD chips.

As far as cooling? There are coolers they make that are like mats that sit underneath them. Vans get hot, and laptops are hot already. Keep in mind there's little space in these things, and they are starving for air.

Ross

redbird

Scott, Is there a way to drag a program from another computer? I bought a transfed package when I bought a new computer, ( came with a disc and cables) supposed to work on vista and xp. never tried it....

any ideas for a printer. I have pluged a printer into my ciglighter with an ac converter and it did work, Jim

G

If you are going to leave your laptop in your van, be sure to back up your programs frequently via a keyring flash drive. Nothing worse than losing it all because you spilled your slurpee or the van got too hot and damaged something.

Those monopod-type computer stands for work trucks work well for keeping the machine cool. They allow the heat to escape around the machine and you can pivot the computer so that the AC can blow on it. It also keeps it off the floor incase your water tank overflows and floods the truck.

Scott

redbird said:
Scott, Is there a way to drag a program from another computer? I bought a transfed package when I bought a new computer, ( came with a disc and cables) supposed to work on vista and xp. never tried it....

any ideas for a printer. I have pluged a printer into my ciglighter with an ac converter and it did work, Jim

Jim - any installed /programs/ will need to be re-installed in your new computer. Any /files/ that aren't installed (i.e. - images, documents, sound files, videos, etc) can be transferred from your old HD to your new one.

To do so you have a variety of choices. 1) Use a thumbdrive, CD, or DVD drive. 2) Use a network or patch cable to create a network 3) Use an online file transfer service 4) Use IR (painfully slow, but it works) There may be other ways but these are the ways I'm familiar with.

Scott

PM mark cermak he knows where to get lap tops factory rebuilt direct...i've heard that you can get phenominal deals...Mark would be a great resource for any computer question and he is great to work with as far as making websites....

Able 1

Name
Keith
I would, but i have to go with sears or best buy for the credit card deal.

Cousin

Have been using Asus laptops for a few years now, Brilliant! :D

And try typing on a laptop with a 7" screen, before you buy it :evil:

I use a 13" on the road, any smaller I'd make too many mistakes typing.

M

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom