Large bore wands

R

rich hand

I have an air flow optimised portable (330cfm with option to add another 100) and I'm looking to upgrade my wand from 1.5in to 2in diameter to go with the 2in hose. However I have been advised that I should go for the 1.75in wand since the 2in is too bulky. Any advice appreciated.

Supersucker

I would recommend using a 2" tube with a glide, 330cfm should be more than enough.

How long are your hose runs now and are you wanting to go longer?

Out of curiosity, how many stage of vac and in what configuration?

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
rich hand said:
I have an air flow optimised portable (330cfm with option to add another 100) and I'm looking to upgrade my wand from 1.5in to 2in diameter to go with the 2in hose. However I have been advised that I should go for the 1.75in wand since the 2in is too bulky. Any advice appreciated.

do you have access to demo different wands, Rick?
Think I'd borrow one first if so, and do some evaluations.
Cause everyone's wanding style is different and what works wonders for me or John Doe, may not for you

start with some water recovery tests.
It's easy with porty, cause you measure pretty precisely what you put in and pull out.
You should try it on a couple/three different types of carpet too
ie...synthetic loop and cut piles, also wool if you see a fair amount of it

also do some side by side evaluations on same room, same day type trials.
Your own home would be best, cause then you monitor dry times thru the "complete" dry cycle.
If there is a noticeable improvement, then it would be worth the bulk and weight of larger tube.

If there's no noticeable improvement in dry times/water recovery, (but not worse) the next consideration is...is it a faster/more efficient tool or does it clean better with your set up and wanding style

..L.T.A.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
something to think about.. is the hose outlet out of the machine a true 2 inch interior diamater like a coolcuff hook up or is a hose barb with a 1.75 inch interior diameter. If its the latter, you will still see benefit out of the two inch hose, but you you may not see an improvement from 1.75 inch diamater wands to a 2 inch tube wand.

rick imby

Name
Rick
It helps getting a powerful porty when you are not stuck with 110 volt 15 amp circuits.

Rick

Greenie

Sween makes some good points:

sweendogg said:
something to think about.. is the hose outlet out of the machine a true 2 inch interior diamater like a coolcuff hook up or is a hose barb with a 1.75 inch interior diameter. If its the latter, you will still see benefit out of the two inch hose, but you you may not see an improvement from 1.75 inch diamater wands to a 2 inch tube wand.

And I know it's not wanted by many , but I'm gonna chime in anyways.

First off, understand yor machine, even though you have more efficient 230v vacs, they are still low amp draw, mid range vacs.
Which means, they only pull so hard against resistance, read this as moderate but not high Waterlift. I point this out because if you look at vacuum performance charts your 110 cfm vac might pull (60%) 66 cfm under load, and possibly as low as (50%) 55 cfm. You will have to look to verify as i'm not sure of the exact motor used.

So...you may actually have a 165 real cfm you are trying to cram through a 1.5" barb with an inside dia. of 1.2".
If this is the case, you will see your greatest gain by switching to a 2" connection, it will be significant.

This holds true with the wand, no MATTER what ANYONE tells you, ALL centrifugal vac motors are more efficient with a 2" bore, than a 1.5" bore.

True, the wand diameter isn't nearly as important as the hose diameter because there is 10X the length of hose as wand, but if you are looking at maximizing your system a 12" wand with 2" bore is the answer.

And yes, a 1.75" wand (with a 12" HEAD) Is a good second best.

woodsey

Easy choice, get the 2 " x 12" wand and then start figuring out how to maximize the WAND with the other stuff. Woodsey.

rich hand said:

Here you go.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=35266

R

rich hand

Thanks guys, after reading the posts I can say that the 2inch would suit my setup best regards airflow.

Can I assume that none of you find the stainless steel 2inch wand bulky and heavy? This was the main reason I was advised to go for the 1.75in.

Name
Lee Stockwell
I've run 2" wands for decades. The first 1.5" wand I bought for my then young sons. They wouldn't use it, and called it the "toy wand".

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
My 14" greenhorn is lighter than my 1.75" prochem.. I can only assume that a similar 12" greenhorn would be the same. Talk to Greenie about building a 12" 2 " bore wand... you won't regret it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom