Last nights Upholstery Class/need an advanced class

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I thought Scott Warrington did an excellent job of jumping into the news desk when Jims stuff went down but I found the class to be very introductory. When you have a name like Jim Pemberton teaching a class I expected to learn different techniques rather than same old same old. Don't get me wrong the information and webinar was great for newbies and maybe we have more newbies than I realize.

All around great job but would love to get some advanced training that may not be IICRC recommended:) I want to clean the cottons and rayons and mixed fibers from pottery barn that always give me trouble.

Rowe brand cottons have always been my achilles heal. I did a sofa and loveseat the otherday and I thoujght it looked like shit but when I came back later to look after drying it looked great and I don't know whenit is going to look great and when is it going to fail. The velvet sets I always seem to run into I brush with a nylon brush and a water spray with a little all fiber when I am done and they lose the memory people have problems with, what does the true pro do? lot of questions. Looking forward to seeing someone put together an advanced class so I can make more money

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Quit being such a cheap mofo and take Jim's class! :wink:

Seriously you'll learn what you're asking and gain a little confidence in special care fabrics.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Thank you for making this post Greg.

I was torn as to what style of information I would put into this webinar, and feared that some of you, such as Greg, would find the "back to basics" style ...well, too basic for you.

A little background, and then my thoughts on the next step in training:

When about 100 people who you may not know are listening to what you're saying in a brief webinar, its not wise to push the envelope when it comes to safety or assumption of an existing skill base.

I am developing an advanced class where I'll be teaching some concepts that do fly in the face of conventional wisdom. I've tested them for a few years now, and lately have been working with unconventional techniques and formulations to restore extraordinarily soiled materials, and also to safely clean the most hypersensitive fabrics.

At this time, most of these techniques are most suited for in plant cleaning, though some could be done on location if the operator has a clear understanding of drying conditions and chemistry.

Presenting this in a classroom will be easy, as I'm fairly certain I'll have some sort of "hold harmless" agreement signed by the students should what they try fail for reasons beyond my control after the fact.

How I can translate those techniques into a webinar format evades me right now. I might put them in a password protected site for cleaners that can document their pre existing understanding of the subject, and also fill out and return needed legal documents.

My first introduction of some of this information will be during the seminar that I'm teaching with Lisa Wagner in August in Las Vegas.

Thank you again for your comments Greg. I'll likely have something in between the webinar basics and the "scary as heck way of doing stuff" that I'll find a sensible way to present some time in the future as well.

Cameron1

At some point in one's career you must realize that to go to the next level you will have to rely on your self. If you wait on some one to lead you to the promised land it will be a promise broken.

If you know the basics, then you blaze your own trail. Proceed with care and use your own gut feeling and trust your experience.

And for heavens sake, do not rely or wait on the" guru" to tell ya what to do or how to do it. It's only cleaning........ not rocket science.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I clean everything and go right at it big guy but I know what Jim P can do and why not learn from a guy with generational experience

Cameron1

No such thing.

New fabrics and blends being introduced by the minute. Ya either know or ya don't. No new majic bullet. trust yourself Greg....you the man.

Terry

Supportive Member
Name
Terry O'Brien
Thanks to Jim, Scott and all involved in putting on a free webiner. Technology is is fantastic until you have a glich like last night and Jim and Scott did great given the circumstances.

Like greg stated in the beginning of the thread an advance class would be great but what percentage of those listening would be ready for that?

Maybe an entry level, advanced and very advanced.

How much can you really teach in 11/2 hours?

Maybe Jim might consider combining the different levels over an 8-10 week span (an hour a week) during the January-March time frame and charging for it.

I've been cleaning fine upholstery for over 20 years and didn't learn too much from last night but I really liked the direction he was taking and hinting towards.

Again Thanks to all involved.

Terry

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom