Les updates the TNT..

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Nice. It would be interesting to know how much quieter it is with that muffler compared to the previous set up.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
I hate blower heat exchangers bad idea all the way around. But engine exhaust exchanger are great as long as they have the same or less back pressure as a normal exhaust would have.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Les should get off the stagecoach
and build a nice shaftdrive unit witout
all the bells whistles and control floats...............

Reactions: Chris A

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
I thought I'd never say it, but I also agree that a HX unit should be offered...little giant are just too much of a pita.

Bill Bruders

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Bruders
Blower exhaust heat exchangers don't have to restrict a blower the Sapphire design is a example of that. As for engine exhaust heat exchangers, in order to maintain the warranty on the engine they must match the back pressure requirements of the engine manufacturers. All of our units under go testing and certification by the engine suppliers before being released for sale.
The secret to high performance high quality heat exchange is in mixing the volumes of air from the blower exhaust with the engine exhaust and not creating an issue.

I think the debate over the practicality of heat exchange systems has been settled over the last 25 years. They really work!!! Beyond that the heat exchange system on a Sapphire unit has been reduced down to one moving part which arguably makes it simpler than a burner unit with regulators, igniters, flow controls and burner nozzles.

Mike Draper

Just got home from vacation. I'll have to go back and find it the receipts Gimme a few days.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
I had the pressure regulator routed to the front panel. Mine was originally in the back where the pump is and it was such a pain to change the pressure.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
the CanAm had the pressure adjuster on the front. But then its the predecessor of the C4.
What I'd like to see is a belt tensioning system like he puts on the blowers. I'm having a local welder build that on mine before I put it in my new truck

He does have an HX system, uses a liquid cooled engine. Only one moving part.

D

Deleted member 51539

Is his Diesel HXsystem in production?

Ashley, if I remember correctly you were building a PTO diesel TM, but were stymied by the lack of heat...

Not to beat up on Les, but from what I can tell, his design uses the exhaust to preheat the H2O (before/after HX) and a thermostat to regulate water temp.

One possible downside to this setup would be the limitation of the stock radiator to sufficiently cool the fluid before returning it to the block. IMO but I could be wrong...Just saying.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom