Let's Talk History of the "Big" Automated Rug Dusters

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
Here is the "Big" one that stood the test of times. It does not use rotating belts. It uses straps made of spring steel. I must also tell you it is LOUD!

MooreDuster_zps046c696c.jpg

An inside look:

InsideMooreDuster_zps664416d9.jpg

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
I like the Connersville style duster because you get a workout while using it. The straps want to pull the rug through the machine fast, so you have to hold it back. When you give up the tug of war the rug shoots out the other side. A good modification might be the addition of a pinch roller to control the rug.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
I spent some time feeding rugs through that thing ..looks like they need to replace the straps again!

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
Does anyone have pictures and experience working with Mirza or Cleveland machines?

How about these?

rugdusters012_zpsc1485dbf.jpg

StarWheelDuster13006r_zpsa16d5017.jpg

Here is the one and only one I made in 2005:

35_zps5fd68260.jpg

This duster resides in India now. (I made and sold it under the name of "The Soil Separator".

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
My brother has a Merza washer. The Merza runs the rug over a giant drum instead of a flat bed to better open the nap. This may be an advantage when compared against other scrub brush machines. It also allows the machine to be extremely compact front to back.

Name
Nate W.
My brother has a Merza washer. The Merza runs the rug over a giant drum instead of a flat bed to better open the nap. This may be an advantage when compared against other scrub brush machines. It also allows the machine to be extremely compact front to back.

Got pics uncle Bryan?

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
This one is from Culbertson's in Oregon. The lines you see on the drum are little spikes to grab the rug and the wringer rollers are relatively small diameter and immediately behind the wash drum. The shaft below the machine shows belts that are for the rug return. If you don't like the look of the rug you can flip up a metal plate and feed the rug back under the machine.

Pretty clever, but more complex and difficult to maintain than larger machines.

Merza-with-Rug.jpg

Reactions: Nate The Great

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
Some of the old monsters are noisy, but effective:

[video=youtube_share;9XnrhKOoS7c]http://youtu.be/9XnrhKOoS7c[/video]

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
I worked with on old 1952 Scott Letter Press in my 20's, this stuff just facinates me to no end guys.

Thanks for sharing this Tom!

Chris

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom