Life After Pizza Hut

Mikey P

Administrator
Life after Pizza Hut * Like me I am sure many of you started in the cleaning business thinking commercial business was trashed out apartments and greasy restaurants. Besides the fact that it was horribly nasty we also had to wait up to 90 days for our money and we were too tired to clean ...
The post Life After Pizza Hut appeared first on MikeysBoard.com !

More...

Ray Burnfield

Supportive Member
Name
Ray Burnfield
Bill,
What a great article. Written perfectly.

Cleaning homes is different than commercial cleaning.
Commercial cleaning in most cases is frequent maintenance cleaning.
Residential cleaning most often is annual cleaning.

Commercial cleaning should have a plan to keep up the carpets appearance level at all times.
We know that the typical homeowner waits until it has to be done.

Reactions: Mikey P

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Never understood the obsession with restaurants, here the average job is $150 or less. Who cares if its monthly, still a crappy job late at night that you have to invoice.
Takes a bigger upfront investment to target general offices but it pays off over the long term.

We just updated our database friday and deleted all restaurants, apartments and govt.

One thing i have found difficult is selling monthly service, quarterly is the most popular by far for us.
We have sold a decent amount of monthly restroom floor/wall cleaning jobs but not too many carpet.

Reactions: spotman123

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
QUOTE=Shane Deubell;4283183]Never understood the obsession with restaurants, here the average job is $150 or less. Who cares if its monthly, still a crappy job late at night that you have to invoice.
Takes a bigger upfront investment to target general offices but it pays off over the long term.

We just updated our database friday and deleted all restaurants, apartments and govt.

One thing i have found difficult is selling monthly service, quarterly is the most popular by far for us.
We have sold a decent amount of monthly restroom floor/wall cleaning jobs but not too many carpet.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree with you more Shane. If you are already in these buildings monthly it would seem you could start with a monthly spotting program using either encap or one of the small 3 gallon extractors. Keeping floors spot free goes a long way towards the overall belief the building is well maintained.

Once you have created a trust factor with the building owner or facility manager then they are more likely to want to give you more work. I still believe most cleaners don't go after this market because it requires a little more sales skills. It may require more persistence and planning prior to a visit not necessarily sales skills.

The question that always comes up to me from cleaners is the eternal "how much". Every companies costs are different and the competition always has to be figured in. This is why I like to create a package of several floorings, upholstery and fabrics so that it is hard for a competitor to match.

One tool that my partner in crime and sometimes roommate, Stevie Wonder Toburen, created is a productivity form
http://sfs.jondon.com/13266/resources/quickfix/how-much-should-i-charge-in-commercial[

Sometimes it is as simple as having a few forms to keep you organized that removes those sales jitters.

Last edited:

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
I'm down to 2 restys.....only because they are friends of mine, and have been cleaning them for years. And they are Monday morning jobs. (ya know, after 9 or so). No more midnight work here.

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
I'm down to 2 restys.....only because they are friends of mine, and have been cleaning them for years. And they are Monday morning jobs. (ya know, after 9 or so). No more midnight work here.

Robert,
When you can dictate time and price restaurants aren't all that bad. Hope your friends feed you well.

Lars

Name
Lars
Nice article, commercial work is a different animal. It feels like you either commit to residential or commercial because of the hours and scheduling differences

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Robert,
When you can dictate time and price restaurants aren't all that bad. Hope your friends feed you well.

Bill.....I pass on the food. One is a long time Mexican resturant, and my Wife is Mexican.....I get plenty of Hispanic food. The other is just a run-of-the-mill family style resty. As long as they have the coffee on.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Gettin ready to call in some Pizza Inn : )

Good Stuff, Mmmm that Thin crust yummy nibblins : )

Sent from da parking garage of dee detention center

J

JS41035

I forget who recommended this (I think Jeff Cross). But I just started asking my night work if I could clean it a 6 or 7 am. If it's an account you've had a while hey will probably give you a key and code. Now I just say that's the way it is. Early mornin or not at all. I show then my locksmith policy in my GL insurance and that I have a fidelity bond. Plus once you have a key and code you kinda become invisible. Well unless you screw up. I still do some night stuff. But not as much.

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
I forget who recommended this (I think Jeff Cross). But I just started asking my night work if I could clean it a 6 or 7 am. If it's an account you've had a while hey will probably give you a key and code. Now I just say that's the way it is. Early mornin or not at all. I show then my locksmith policy in my GL insurance and that I have a fidelity bond. Plus once you have a key and code you kinda become invisible. Well unless you screw up. I still do some night stuff. But not as much.

Justin, if you are anything like me I am much more alert at 6am rather than midnight. It can just be your first job of the day and then onto residential. Steve Toburen has been teaching the key routine for many years in SFS. But we will give credit to Mr. Cross also. It is just that Steve is so much older than Jeff that he may have come up with the idea first.

I just scored a strip and wax on a very large pizzria. The dining room makes school lunch rooms look fancy. The place opened in 1980. It makes very good pizza. It is at the end of a strip mall where every single tenant left between 1997-2000, except them. The property looked like Chernobyl, yet this place thrived through it all. The shopping center has had a bit of a come back. All the other outside stores are re-occupied except one. There are about 6 small stores in the little inside part of the mall still closed. Past where those stores were, was the anchor. The anchor tanked in 1997, Caldors. Took about 3 years to kill off everyone but my dentist (inside) and the pizzeria. My dentist gave up and retired in 2001, the next to last indoor tenant left probably in 1998. There was a discount furniture and carpet dealer in the back. They tanked around 2000. A scuba store opened in the space around 2008 and that was the beginning of the comeback. Restaurants are what keeps me alive.
The floors look bad. They were probably last stripped and waxed in the 1990's. They probably weren't scrubbed since 2008, but at least any wax that was there is gone.

I had to try to strip and wax sheet goods in a local library. The floor was toast. Probably not cleaned at all in 20+ years, as in not even damp mopped. The wax went from yellow to brown. In the center of the aisles it had worn away. I was afraid to strip it with weight on the machine for fear of breaking through. The other half of the library was carpet. Glue down tile on top of 35 year old commercial. Gaps around everything. Seems the floor covering was put down around 1978 when they remodeled and they may have cleaned it once in the late 1980's. The carpet was half duct tape by about 2007, so volunteers slopped on the tiles. Last year, after 6 years, they decided to clean it, "even though it didn't really need it yet." That was a start at 9pm (they stay open late except Sunday) and work to about 7am. Those are the jobs other will not do, but I'm not other people.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Nice article, commercial work is a different animal. It feels like you either commit to residential or commercial because of the hours and scheduling differences

True, it can make for a long day sometimes. Amazing how many times the phone rings when you just sit down for dinner or pop a movie in.
Financially its nice though, really get to spread out those fixed costs.

steve_64

i read this earlier and it reminded to call pizza hut for the quarterly cleaning. i clean it at the first of the month usually but forgot all about it this time lol.

Wing It

Supportive Member
Name
John Wingfield
I don't see why people hate restaurants. I have two guys working 20-30 hours/week doing the easiest, most repetitive jobs ever. No chemistry, no dealing with homeowners, no thinking! I agree it's not the place to start as other commercial and residential can be more profitable, but if you can find the right employees and live in a large enough market why not have your truck making you money while you sleep?

Reactions: Desk Jockey
Name
Lee Stockwell
I don't see why people hate restaurants. I have two guys working 20-30 hours/week doing the easiest, most repetitive jobs ever. No chemistry, no dealing with homeowners, no thinking! I agree it's not the place to start as other commercial and residential can be more profitable, but if you can find the right employees and live in a large enough market why not have your truck making you money while you sleep?

Problem was I had to "sleep" with one eye open.

Reactions: Willy P

Becker

Name
Becker
I'm just glad to know I wised up long before blockbuster went BK.. Man I hated doing their stores. Set price per store, so some of the newer ones were a quick in and out slam dunk, but the older sprawling stores, what was I thinking.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I'd love to have a route like that! I'm not sure if we are a big enough town to support it though.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom