Lifting the carpet

jcdsog

I cleaned a womans house in Jan. The main reason she called me was because she had some spots that keep coming back. I can only imagine what she had been using on them. The carpet was like a dark pink color and you could see the spots good on it. They were black but they came up just as easy as I could have wanted. She swears nobody spilt anything and they always take their shoes off. I did explain to her that if they came back I would come and water claw it.

Well I get a call 3 weeks ago and they came back. It's probably something with sugar if I had to guess. There's 3 main cluster of spots prob 2 ft x 6 ft. Well I clawed it with an enzyme and cleaned the carpet normally. Since I have confidence in the water claw I told her if they came back that I would come clean the spots again at no charge.

No problems yet but if they do, should I just pull the carpet up and replace the padding? If so what tools would i need? the spots are probably 4 foot from a wall. Couldnt I just take an ice pick and pull it up and then press it back down or will I need a stretcher?

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
For your price investment in tools for this one job.. subcontract and installer and work with him when he pulls it back. One you'll get a chance to learn from him and two you might get someone to start referring you.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
You would need a Carpet Awl, knee kicker a carpet spreader, and a carpet knife for cutting pad. They are handy things to have around and will cost about the same as subbing it out. Just practice on your carpets first.

If the spots come back you might try saturating the spots with encap and using the water claw.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
If you are lifting any sizeable area, you will need to restretch the carpet with a power stretcher. Ace, you left out, pad stapler/glue depending on substrate. Possibly new tackstrip if you damage the old pullin up the carpet. Tackstrip cutters, The spreader works ok for ditching carpet, but a stair tool or tucking tool works mutch better.. expecielly in corners. And heaven forbid that you reveal a weak seem that fails when you pull the carpet back. (some Knucklel head installers will actually staple or nail the seam tape to the tackstrip so be ware. Also if the carpet was seamed on some bonded pads, with out a seaming board, alot of times the seam tape will melt to the top scrim of the pad, making a pia.

G

I would put a rug over it for a couple of weeks.check it,if it stayed clean your problem is on top,which is the case most of the time.

jcdsog

Wow. Thanks. I guess I'll just call someone to do all of that if I ever end up having to. I thought it seemed too easy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom