Lisa Wagner & Jim Pemberton get cover story in Cleanfax

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Our two comrades are taking on some pretty serious subject matter in this article and really putting their reputations and necks out for cleaners. Enjoy the read and email Jeff Cross your appreciation for printing what will likely not gain him any friends in the IICRC /CRI hierarchy. Way to go Lisa, Jim & Jeff!

Lisa and Jeff have more combined actual cleaning knowledge in their firms than probably the rest of all the IICRC old guard combined (I may be off cause I have no idea who is on it).

http://www.scribd.com/doc/36488346/Clea ... 2010-Cover

I just read the article. Everything they said was true but could have been summed up like this. The IICRC testing courses do absolutely nothing to teach a cleaner how to actually clean and solve or identifly possible problems. They have no real world value. How can someone that has no experience at all take the test and be as equally certified as a cleaner that has been in the trenches for a decade? The IICRC is a for profit organization plain and simple not the authority on rather a cleaner is good or not.

Bob Foster

Congratulations Jim and Lisa.

Thanks for making the powers that be to think beyond their noses and self interests.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
What would we do without you two? I just wish you both lived closer to me, so that I could take more advantage of your classes that you teach!! I think you both should move to Kentucky, or atleast Nashville!

harryhides

Name
Tony
joeynbgky said:
What would we do without you two? I just wish you both lived closer to me, so that I could take more advantage of your classes that you teach!! I think you both should move to Kentucky, or atleast Nashville!

Joey, rumor is that both of them will be back in Nashville for MF7.

Jim and Lisa are not the only Instructors ( both inside and outside the iicrc ) that are putting more emphasis on "hands-on" training.
The market is demanding it and I am sure that those who do not catch this wave and soon, will be left behind. More intensive hands-on classes will require smaller classes and be more expensive - are you prepared to pay a lot more for top notch specialty classes ?
Each of the most valuable and useful five classes that I took, all cost well over $1,000 each.

Good for Jim to be saying in print what many in the industry have been thinking for a while now.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
*** classes? lol they have classes now? wow..........I would be happy to pay more for hands on classes, but it shouldn't be that much more.

Ryan

Mikey P said:
Why no mention of the *** online classes?

You two better be ensconced in Kevlar in the Hilton parking lot

Your really think suprarob has the balls to pull a trigger?

steve g

Name
steve garrett
the article does really good about pointing out the problems but does very little at suggesting a solution, its like my wife who sometimes complains about something, unless you offer a solution quit complaining I say.

is the IICRC meant to take a totally unskilled person and make them into a extremely skilled pro, I say no. my point is that only comes with experience, can't we all agree that is worth something?? and further yet is there really any other substitute for it?? I say no. the value of the IICRC as I see it is, we agree to operate under a set of standards, these standards govern the methods we use and basic procedures to follow. Ideally this is recognized by the consumer. I don't see anything wrong with training someone what they need to do to stay out of trouble, shouldn't this be the first thing anyone is taught.

its like when I first went to work for rainbow international, I went through their training program, which IMO was better than anything the IICRC has offered, there was hands on etc. however when I started out, I sucked as a cleaner realistically. I don't feel like I really started doing good work until I was doing it for a year or so. the point is the IICRC should be seen as a companion to the experience we already get in the field.

no amount of hands on will equal experience in the field, what about the stains that come back on a carpet, wick backs on glue downs, and the hundreds of other issues that crop up in the field, this can't be simulated in a class room. so I say accept the IICRC for what it is, and that is the only body or group that has widely accepted standards in our industry, is it perfect no, could something else be better yeah, but IMO its going to cost more to do it, and it must be more widely accepted. will the industry support that, I say no. standards are good for the industry, especially for say like the water damage industry, they allow us to prove we did the job correctly.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I think the IICRC has the potential be much more than it is, but they need to be in tune with what the people want and need.

The condescending attitude needs to be checked at the door! I think they forget that WE provide their existence, without us their would be no IICRC.

In fact if we woke up tomorrow with no IICRC would anyone even notice?
:shock:

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Having inviolable standards doesn't prove you did the job right. If you did every job by the standards you might be wrong more than you'd be right, which is the point about courses that are dumbed down so that everyone can pass. Dri-Eaz, Injectidry and others are breaking away to do their own courses using more up to date information.

The reason we're at the point of open revolt is that the folks calling the shots inside the IICRC have for too long done what was best for them and their buddies, rather than what was best for the organization or their shareholder organizations.

Overhaul of the IICRC system will take moving some "old elephants" out to free others from their fear of the old network.

One day you can tell your kids you were there when the industry grew up.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom