Little giant 3ht Thermocouple

Walt

I'm reassembling a 3ht (new skin and thermostat etc.). What does the thermocoupler do? Is it part of the regulating of the heat? or just part of the bypass of gas during ignition.
If I don't need it I thought I'd leave it off.

Thanks

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
The thermocouple is safety device that is needed for the heater to operate.

If the thermocouple is not warmed by the pilot light the gas valve won't turn on.

It basically keeps you from blowing up your van.

Please note;This post is not meant to be an advertisement any similarity is purely coincidental.

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
Walt,

Of course you need the thermocouple. It is the keeper of the "fire" that ignites the burner when the gas valve opens.

Why would you want to leave it out if it was there in the first place.

G

Thermocouple is a sensor device that generates electrical current to aid in the control of your preset temperature. It basically helps to take the temperature in the flame path of the burner.

In A jet engine it takes the temperature in the exhaust section as thrust exits the combustion section on its way through the afterburner section to help the pilot to control the amount of thrust generated through the power lever in the cock pit.

To answer the question you may want to control the temp of the 3 ht you are running or you may cause a nice bond fire!!

Walt

I am rebuilding a 3HT that was damaged during shipping. The thermocouple appears to be damaged. So I figured I get the skinny on it before I bought a replacement for it.

Essentially, I am replacing most of the parts except for the core.

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
Hey Rickie,

I don't know about jet engines, but I do know that in the Little Giant LP heater the only thing a thermo-couple does is keep the pilot ON.

If the thermo couple isn't IN the pilot flame, you'll have no pilot.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
The themocouple is least expensive item you'll have to buy for that Little Giant. You can pick one up at the hardware store.

Greenie

Many gas-fed heating appliances such as ovens and water heaters make use of a pilot light to ignite the main gas burner as required. If the pilot light becomes extinguished for any reason, there is the potential for un-combusted gas to be released into the surrounding area, thereby creating both risk of fire and a health hazard.

To prevent such a danger, some appliances use a thermocouple as a fail-safe control to sense when the pilot light is burning. The tip of the thermocouple is placed in the pilot flame. The resultant voltage, typically around 20 mV, operates the gas supply valve responsible for feeding the pilot.
So long as the pilot flame remains lit, the thermocouple remains hot and holds the pilot gas valve open. If the pilot light goes out, the temperature will fall along with a corresponding drop in voltage across the thermocouple leads, removing power from the valve. The valve closes, shutting off the gas and halting this unsafe condition.

to add to that, your LG heater has a "flame splitter" made of sheet metal, it puts a portion of the pilot light towards teh burner ring, and a portion towards the thermocouple, thorughly warming the bulb of the TC, make sure the flame is split and clean looking.

It's my guess, "rebuilding" LG heaters is the reason for most Thermal Incidents...lol

G

Bob Savage said:
Hey Rickie,

I don't know about jet engines, but I do know that in the Little Giant LP heater the only thing a thermo-couple does is keep the pilot ON.

If the thermo couple isn't IN the pilot flame, you'll have no pilot.

I hear ya Bob; When it comes to lp or kero maintenance I let the Pro's do mine.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom