Little Giant Heat Problems

Goldenboy

Name
Mike Waldron
Pilot light lights easy. When I fire up the propane for the first job the flow is just not there. It usually has a good poof sound and heats up real quick. It takes longer now. Seems to be better at the end of the day. Jets are not plugged. Has plenty of propane. Just not getting consistent heat. Whats the problem?

Golden Boy

Name
I'm Rick James
At the rate you are going with the LG heater, you better get a hx machine before you blow yourself up.

boom..

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Regulators can stick. Turn off the gas at the tank, disconnect the tank line, open the heater to high. Wait a minute and the connect every thing. IMPORTANT: turn the valve on the tank slowly and it will fix the problem. (If you have a stuck regulator. Which it sounds like you have.)

Mike Draper

my guy at the propane shop says hes never seen a regulator stick, they are made not to. He says when they go bad they simply shut off. What the hell happens when a light bulb goes out in your home waldo?:hopeless:

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
They stick. I happens all the time with my gas grill. Remember the gas grill shop guys are in the business of SELLING REGULATORS. The procedure I mentioned will fix a stuck regulator. Or google (or have Fred google) stuck LP regulator and you will see it is a very common problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: GCCLee

Goldenboy

Name
Mike Waldron
Ok today i did a apartment with all the heat in the world. Wtf is going on with this thing?

Golden Boy

Mike Draper

I should have said " quality regulators don't stick". Yes, gas grill ones do because the re extremely cheap. Whens the last time you heard of a regulator sticking at someones home and burning it down? it doesn't happen.

handdi

Supportive Member
Name
Randy
we have 2
what ya have to do is take the burner out
and clean it with a small wire a cleaning kit for acetylene torches sell them at lowes
i think les has a video on here on how to do this
we have to do this prob 3 or 4 times a year
that is your problem

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
When it works or don't work randomly it is not a clogged ring.( The heater is too new for a clog) You have a fuel supply problem.either a regulator or you have a kink / bend restriction it the supply hose.regulators in houses don't have the gas turned off and back on several times a day. That is what causes the problem. Btw: a stuck regulator wouuldn't burn down a house. More likely it might cause a frozen house becaues the heater wouldn't fire all the way. If it was a stuck regulator and it now resolved itself(Released back pressure) You can do a couple of things to prevent it from happening again. When you shut down your heater. #1.Close the valve on the tank first. #2 wait a minute and then shut it off on the heater. #3 When you fire it up next time turn the valve on at the tank slowly.

Last edited:
Name
Shawn Forsythe
1) Bad regulator
2) Mal-adjusted regulator.
3) Soot buildup on outside of coil (due to low or high gas pressure).
4) Scale/chemical buildup on inside of coil (descale your coil)
5) Worn or occluded jets (cleaning with hard instruments can destroy orifice, poor gas pressure can soot them up)

Burner gas pressure can be tested at a port on the Unitrol valve, designed for this.

Reactions: GCCLee

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom