Little Giant propane heater maintenance

Bob Foster

Is there "soft spots" in where Little Giants can be problematic?

Are there measures that greatly increase the life or reliability of a Little Giant Propane heater?

-JB-

Name
JB
The EXPLOSION can be a bit "problematic" but other than that....

I coulnt resist!

Name
Shawn Forsythe
1. Use soft water
2. Use the correct LPG pressure, at the burner.
3. If your unit puts chemical through the heating system, make sure it has a corrosion inhibitor, and is not one that will build up in the heating coil.

The failure to abide with these three guidelines does not necessarily mean you will have problems, but it does mean you will have to perform periodic maintenance procedures to keep problems at bay.

Minerals in the water(hardness), will lead to boiler scale that will require periodic descaling to remove. Scale inhibits heat transfer and causes lack of efficiency. It also causes the tubing to have to be heated much higher than normal, reducing the life of the coil.

Correct LPG pressure will maintain a proper flame, and lower sooting. Soot buildup will lower heating efficiency, and also cause the jets to clog. Clogged jets leads to more soot, and loss of heat.

Chemical buildup leads to the same problem as boiler scale. And corrosion will cause thinning of the copper exchanger, leading to failure.

Very few cleaners take heed of these guidelines, and thus have maintenance and service issues that routinely must be implemented.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
4-5 years not one problem, I have frozen it and had to change the output but that is it

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Bob;

From many years of servicing LG heaters;

1. Use the new style jets & keep them clean.

2. Maintain correct pressure to the jets.

3. Replace the pilot jet when required.

4. Limit pressure to 700 PSI. Over that and the coil will expand.

Larry Cobb

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
SO...! Some of yous actually LEAVE an un-attended FIRE in yor truck.....?

You have ALL the makings of a BOMB...right there together!

Rex Tyus

4. Limit pressure to 700 PSI. Over that and the coil will expand.

Larry, does that apply to the HT as well?

Bob, HELL YES. As safe as a gas grill on the back deck.

Thanks,
Rex

keithk

Yep, I fire mine up in the morning and don't turn it off til the end of the day. Heck sometimes we forget to turn it off. Makes for a toasty warm truck the next morning.

TimP

So what if your truck blows up and you aren't around big deal. Insurance will get you a new one. Just hope nobody is nearby when it does.....

Bob Foster

Thanks everyone for their replies. We are currently developing an owners manual for the new CanAm truckmount and are attempting to make our service routines as comprehensive as possible.

Propane is as dangerous as a handgun. Both are proven over time to do the job and lethal to the user if he happens to be a irresponsible. (Further proof there is validity in Darwin's Law)

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Rex;

That does apply to the #3HT Little Giants.

Little Giant does make a High Pressure Coil but I just sent one back to the factory for coil pressure failure. They are about 1% of the coils out in service.

Larry

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom