Little Giant saftety tip..

Rex Tyus

Tip #1 Make sure the push button igniter is in good working order so you don't have to use an aim n flame.

Tip #2 in the event you fail to do #1 and you must use an aim n flame, don't hold the pilot button down and start checking your voice mail. :shock:

Tip # 3 If you fail to do #1 and #2 don't put your face too close to the bottom of the heater to watch the pilot light.

Tip #4 if you fail to do #1-#3 wear a face shield. :evil:

Rex Tyus

DUDE. It blew the hat clean off the heater. Shook the van, burnt my eyebrows, eyelashes, and the hair behind my right ear. Scared the lady inside something awful. Everybody had a good laugh at my hairless faced expense.

Rex Tyus

Believe it or not, that does actually make me feel better.

I had to pull my eye lids apart. My eyelashes were so singed they stuck together. My wife says I can't be seen in public with her until Everything grows back. My boyish good looks are questionable at best right now.

Rex Tyus

They really are almost idiot proof. I just wasn't paying attention.

Why are those days over for you now. What is you heat system?

Jim Nazarian

Name
Jim Nazarian
Almost idiot proof... I remember having the KABOOMS on average 1 a week, Heat exchangers alleviated that safety issue, in fact I have a little giant that has 200 hours on it collecting dust, it would be nice to have the added heat but because of safety concerns & taking up valuable space in the van its just sitting unused.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Had the issue with my silver eagle....scared the hell right outa me...

found out it was a loose igniter wire, tightened it and works like a champ now...no more KABOOMS

Greenie

2-3 seconds... 2-3 mins. What is the difference.

Let me ask this...did ya smell anything right before it went kaboom?

Those damn piezo sparkers will fail, maybe put two on the thing...redundancy?

EDIT: The #3 heaters give more kaboom than a #2, little note for all teh POST heater guys out there.

Rex Tyus

2-3 seconds... 2-3 mins. What is the difference.

Eye lashes vs no eye lashes. :shock:

Let me ask this...did ya smell anything right before it went kaboom?

No. It was accumulating under the heater. No wind. Very still day.

Those damn piezo sparkers will fail, maybe put two on the thing...redundancy?

I carelessly broke the wire right at the end of the piezo. Time to repair.

All in all it was quite funny. My step son is still laughing.

Rex Tyus

FireMarshallBill.jpg

Greenie

I think those things are like $11 in the BBQ section of Lowes, it's $25 if you make me go get it at Lowes.

TimP

OH LORD,this is about the funniest post I've ever read. Rex you had me almost on the floor with your description. Thanks so much for sharing this with me, definitely worth a 5 buck a month membership right there just for comedic value. Not to mention the technical aspect to it.

KBRENNY

EDIT: The #3 heaters give more kaboom than a #2, little note for all teh POST heater guys out there.

If you think the #3ht gives a bigger boom than the #2ht then I should tell you about the little "incident" I had with my 4ht last week. It actually got the police called out and I counted 3 neighbors who came out of their houses to look>

Greenie

Don't freak everyone out, it doesn't happen very often, I actually never had a Rex experience lighting a #2. Bottom line you have to hold the pilot bypass plunger down for an extended time to get the Flash.

KBRENNY

what happened in my case was the wind blew out the pilot light, when I went out to the truck to relight it the thermocouple must have been hot enough to allow the gas to continue running for several seconds. I only held the pilot button for less than three seconds before hitting the igniter. When it lit there was enough force to blow the 6" flexible ducting into about 6 pieces splitting it mostly down the center. I was knocked back on my but and there was a car alarm somewhere nearby that went off. I had ringing in my ears for about 15 minutes.

Now before anyone say anything about the safety of the little giant heaters I have been running one for over 7 years on every TM I have owned and this is the first time I had a result like this.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
judas kevin.. :shock: :shock: :shock:

though mine was almost that bad...when you see flame shooting 4' above and 3' out the back of the heater...you know theres just a weeeee bit of a problem

Rex Tyus

I am glad you enjoyed it. However some other wise ass edited my original reply. I actually told Danny no way when he asked for pics. It was funny so I left it. Besides the picture closely resembled the way I felt. :oops:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom