Locating and keeping employees

mikepo

I've reached a point that to grow my company, Centex Green, further I need to add a crew (1 or 2 people). Friends / family are not an option (they have work) so for those CCers with crew/staff ... 1) Where did you locate your people? 2) How did you train them to do a job as good as you and 3) how do you keep them (besides pay) ? I appreciate in advance your words of experience and advice.

Cheers,

Mike

cleaningfool

I'm in the same place in business as mikepo. It is a big step. I put an add in the paper,asking for a cc with experience, and got several calls from people that used rug doctors from Lowe's. Some of you guys that have been in the business for awhile, do you have any advice? Thanks Mike

Spurling

Yeah if you want them to do it the way you want it done, dont hire experienced .. Ive had guys with 10-12 years experience and paid them $12.50 an hour ea and when you werent lookin, they would do what they felt like or what they were used to .. I took a guy that knew nothing about carpet cleaning and paid him $8 an hour, taught him everything, and he was the best tech I ever had .. I had customers request him all the time over me .. I had him for 3 years before he moved out of state ..

Use a family man .. he may be more responsible .. although if you dont have enough work, he will be looking elsewhere

Dont hire a laid off stockbroker .. wont be long before hes on to the next gig ..

Go to Walmart .. look for a decent looking person .. be difficult and ask for alot .. see how well they handle customer service .. then if you like them .. make an offer..

You will keep them if they have a lot of respect for you .. unless some other position will offer them a better lifesyle .. then move on ..

If youre looking for just ok results and youre desperate for help, then hire experienced temporarily unless they work out ..

Spurling

Dont hire friends or family on a permanant position .. maybe short term help .. theyre hard to fire .. it may cause problems

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom