Looking for some advice

Sleazy E

Name
Eric Leone
Hello everyone my name is Eric And I am new to these boards. I was told this would be a great place to come for some advice/answers.

So let me just get to the meat of it here. I have been in chemdry for about 10 years now mainly as a technician but back in May of last year I bought the the franchise I had been working for(or so I thought). I took over operations and was acting owner through the remainder of last year but come the end of the year when me and the previous owner where working with HRI to transfer the franchise over to me we hit a road block and now its looking like I will not be getting the franchise. I still have the agreement with the previous owner and have the truck(with truck mount) and the phone number in my name.

Here's my questions.
1.Since the truck is in my name and phone number is there any way HRI can take these away from me?(hoping a former cd can answer this)

2.Im now thinking of being independent but have no idea of what to use for cleaner. I would still like to offer a tank and buffer method and a extraction method. So any advice on cleaners that could be used for both.

3. Any other advice from ex-CD owners would be greatly appreciated as well.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
welcome Eric...
that sucks.....
but being free of them bloodsuckers IS the best thing that could happen.
i hope someone here can answer your question

Last edited:

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
I'm gonna get some popcorn, b right back : )

ya might wanna grab a beer, I know it's early but your gonna need it! Trust Me!!!

This place if any should yield the magic you search for.

Welcome : )

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
The people who run ChemDry are lying cheating shitfilth. They built ChemDry with lies and deceptive ads. I don't know what they are capable of concerning your equipment, but it is yours, so don't give it back. The phone # might be a problem though. You will be much better off getting as far away from those scoundrels as possible, and you will be able to do much better work and more efficiently once you are no longer hamstrung by their idiotic cleaning limitations and their magic carbonated water. Plenty of great information here for you to learn how carpets are really cleaned.

Last edited:

Sleazy E

Name
Eric Leone
The people who run ChemDry are lying cheating shitfilth. They built ChemDry with lies and deceptive ads. I don't know what they are capable of concerning your equipment, but it is yours, so don't give it back. The phone # might be a problem though. You will be much better off getting as far away from those scoundrels as possible, and you will be able to do much better work and more efficiently once you are no longer hamstrung by their idiotic cleaning limitations and their magic carbonated water. Plenty of great information here for you to learn how carpets are really cleaned.

While I may not agree with their business model I have always had great succes with their cleaner and methods. Which is prob the only thing keeping them in business. Remember there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Sleazy E

Name
Eric Leone
I didn't want to start a debate on whats better CD or any other method. I'm not trying to claim that CD is superior but obviously CD couldn't reach the level they are at if they didn't have a good product.

The main info I was looking for was what are some good cleaners going forward?

Last edited:

FredC

Village Idiot
Bawb.............can you help him? Please stay on topic so I don't have to move/delete the drivel.........

Reactions: GCCLee

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I'm not trying to claim that CD is superior but obviously CD couldn't reach the level they are at if they didn't have a good product.
Good marketing will out sell good cleaning. It's unfortunate but true. Of course you still have to retain them with good cleaning or live in city with a population where poor or average cleaning won't affect you.

A lot of the top sellers are not always tops because the product is that whippy, the marketing pulled them in. :errf:

FredC

Village Idiot
I doubt anyone but an attorney could really answer the ownership question.

Didn't see any similar situations searching except for a thread wanted their power head and the control panel back for a portable. :eekk:

http://mikeysboard.com/forum/showthread.php?245474-To-all-you-ex-ChemDry-hacks-tech-question

and some saying they are agressive getting equipment back and others that they didn't bother

http://mikeysboard.com/forum/showthread.php?264724-Harris-Research-Non-Compete

Just guessing but I would think at the time you were effectively working under the ChemDry franchise agreement so the rules would apply to you. That and we know that the actual franchise owner was bound by them so if he was not permitted to sell the equipment CD may have a right to the equipment and your only recourse would be going after the owner.

but I'm not a lawyer........

Last edited:

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Good marketing will out sell good cleaning. It's unfortunate but true. Of course you still have to retain them with good cleaning or live in city with a population where poor or average cleaning won't affect you.

A lot of the top sellers are not always tops because the product is that whippy, the marketing pulled them in. :errf:

Stole my thunder .

Here's my questions.
1.Since the truck is in my name and phone number is there any way HRI can take these away from me?(hoping a former cd can answer this)

2.Im now thinking of being independent but have no idea of what to use for cleaner. I would still like to offer a tank and buffer method and a extraction method. So any advice on cleaners that could be used for both.

welcome Eric
some of your questions would be best answered by a biz attorney

as far as what juice to use for bonnet cleaning, there are plenty good ones to choose from

Jerm has most all the top brands to choose from .
as well as related supplies/bonnets 'n stuff

http://encapstore.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2&zenid=06dc387240f77c4bf99a7b36091096f2

..L.T.A.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Try Encapuclean Green DS or Encapuclean O2 for your tank and buffer method.
http://interlinksupply.com/indexb.php?item_num=CC17GL
http://interlinksupply.com/indexb.php?item_num=CC15GL

For extraction of commercial carpet or heavy, greasy or oily soil - Flex Powder with Citrus Solv
http://interlinksupply.com/indexb.php?item_num=CC21A

For residential carpet with moderate soils, preserving the protection or adding protection after cleaning, Zone Perfect -
http://interlinksupply.com/indexb.php?item_num=CC03GL

Reactions: Art Kelley

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
I didn't want to start a debate on whats better CD or any other method. I'm not trying to claim that CD is superior but obviously CD couldn't reach the level they are at if they didn't have a good product.

The main info I was looking for was what are some good cleaners going forward?

This is the closest that i know of http://www.carbonatedsolutions.com/index.php

Really can't give an opinion on the business question, not familiar with their franchise agreement.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Steve Smith (of VacAway) is a friend who had multiple Nashville TN area CDs and managed to cut his ties to CD and keep his biz "A Cleaner Image".

He advertised to all of his targeted clients with big pictures of the tech that cleaned for them (and small phone numbers). Knowing CD would keep his phone number, his NEXT batch of ads looked nearly identical with big pictures of his tech, bigger new phone numbers, and a tagline of "Remember me?" etc

Wayne Miller the graphics guy also got out of CD alive.

Reactions: GCCLee

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Fur some odd reason the Franchie guys don likes me, heck no other cleaners near me do, lol

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Welcome Eric,

There is some great information and some real great people that can help.

I find it surprising CD wouldn't want you on board. They were all over the phone this past year trying to get me as a franchise. They were on a recruiting "frenzy" and were even throwing in a free truckmount (so they claimed) and no initial down payments, and certain great offers....

It wasn't something I was really interested in as I come from a long background of owner operators (family owned for many years).

I think if you really want accurate advice, you might have to seek a good lawyer for the particular answers you see, but what I recall, CD would allow me to own my current truckmounts and convert them to be able to use their formulas (couldn't use brass connectors I recall).

There can be a lot of great advice here on how to be successful as a non franchise. Mikey is also holding a great festival in California Feb 21 & 22. If it is something you can make, I know there are going to be topics that might help you (as this is also part of my presentation for the festival). There will be just great interaction with fellow carpet cleaners and restoration people "who have been there done that" in attendance.

If that doesn't work, just hanging here and learning or typing in the search menu will bring up a lot of great past conversations that can also help for free.

Best wishes on your new adventure and start up and I hope we see you here more.

Mark Saiger
www.saigers.com

Sleazy E

Name
Eric Leone
Thanks for all the great responses I really do appreciate it. The issue with the transfer of the franchise from previous owner to me is he had a good chunck of debt with them that originally they were going to finance with me, but now they want it all paid up front and I don't have that kind of money. Which leads me to just want to be independent. I haven't signed anything with chemdry so I dont think they can come after me at all. But if I lose the phone number or truck mount it's gonna be a big problem. At this time in kind of in limbo of not knowing what's going to happen. So like many of you have said I guess I will be talking to a lawyer.

Reactions: Mark Saiger
D

Deleted member 51539

Hello everyone my name is Eric And I am new to these boards. I was told this would be a great place to come for some advice/answers.

So let me just get to the meat of it here. I have been in chemdry for about 10 years now mainly as a technician but back in May of last year I bought the the franchise I had been working for(or so I thought). I took over operations and was acting owner through the remainder of last year but come the end of the year when me and the previous owner where working with HRI to transfer the franchise over to me we hit a road block and now its looking like I will not be getting the franchise. I still have the agreement with the previous owner and have the truck(with truck mount) and the phone number in my name.

Here's my questions.

If the truck is currently in your name, this is a violation of the original license (previous owner) Harris Research will instruct their lawyers to issue a cease and desist order and compel you to de-identify the van and all things bearing the CD logo.

If the van was financed with CD and the guy sold it to you, (disregard if you have a lien free title in hand) CD can repo it and the TM.

The phone number- depends on the original contract with CD- they can sue you over that as well.

CitrusFresh

Name
Mary Broome
From experience you want to make sure that any wrap you have on the truck or decals from or promoting CD are removed even if the lien or lien free title is yours.

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
I'm no expert or lawyer but I remember the lady a few years back that was robbed of everything when she tried to get out of her CD agreement. If they don't repo the van just re-letter it and go independent. We have had several CD's in my area that went out of business. Probably from crappy work. That's why CD switched to hwe. Do yourself a favor and get away from them. There are lot of gently used tm's out there. Just remember to use most of your money on marketing when starting out.

Wayne Miller

Name
Wayne Miller
I sent you a PM, Eric.

I'm still using the pad system. There's no shortage of good compatible products.

Last edited:

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
I have to disagree with most and say that I would have stayed with CD if I were only doing carpet and tile cleaning. Is there anything that you can do to stay with CD?. I just got tired of sneaking the other services that were not in the CD model (stone restoration in particular).

If you're going to go independent, I wouldn't worry about the cleaners and equipment that you'll use. As has been said, there are plenty of good ones. Just don't get into the train of thought that you have to use 50 gallons of water to clean a few rooms. Procyon and DFC are both comparable to the carbonation. Boost with D limene or just get Larry Cobb's powder (great stuff and super cheap).

You'll have to get rid of al CD equipment but you can sell it to another CD. If HRI takes it they'll give you 30% of the cost at most.

You'll also have to get rid of the phone number and hand over your customer base. Most important if your state is not "right to work" they state that you can't work in the territory that the franchise is assigned to for 2 years. My state (Ca.) is right to work so it was easy. Mail hand written letters to your customer base as well as making new business cards with another phone number.

I would talk to Larry if I were you.

Barry, were you representing the California franchises in 2005?. If you were, you were the one that drilled me a new one when I walked out of my first inspection (forgot what it's called). The lady asked for a sample of my carbonated water and I took off. I figured it was better to get a fine then hand them plain H2o. I paid a small fine and learned that I had to have a fresh tank of carbonated water at all times.

Barry-QDCC

Supportive Member
Name
Barry Rhoads
Barry, were you representing the California franchises in 2005?. If you were, you were the one that drilled me a new one when I walked out of my first inspection (forgot what it's called). The lady asked for a sample of my carbonated water and I took off. I figured it was better to get a fine then hand them plain H2o. I paid a small fine and learned that I had to have a fresh tank of carbonated water at all times.

Albert,

I was not representing California in 2005. I did a couple of years in VofCD around 1998 to 20001 or so.

But you got my interest up when you say you were "drilled" by somebody. Are you sure it was the VofCD rep? They didn't have anything to do when I was in there as far as actually enforcing compliance to the CD rules. I personally was never "shopped" by CD but I heard of a few that were. My impression was that although HRI tried to give the impression that all quality control shops were random I don't believe that. If someone was shopped it was because they had suspicious that some monkey business was going on. Meaning they were losing revenue because someone wasn't buying 100% of their cleaning products from HRI. They either looked at your dollar figure of product buying or someone narced on you.

Barry-QDCC

Supportive Member
Name
Barry Rhoads
I have to disagree with most and say that I would have stayed with CD if I were only doing carpet and tile cleaning. Is there anything that you can do to stay with CD?. I just got tired of sneaking the other services that were not in the CD model (stone restoration in particular).

If you're going to go independent, I wouldn't worry about the cleaners and equipment that you'll use. As has been said, there are plenty of good ones. Just don't get into the train of thought that you have to use 50 gallons of water to clean a few rooms. Procyon and DFC are both comparable to the carbonation. Boost with D limene or just get Larry Cobb's powder (great stuff and super cheap).

You'll have to get rid of al CD equipment but you can sell it to another CD. If HRI takes it they'll give you 30% of the cost at most.

You'll also have to get rid of the phone number and hand over your customer base. Most important if your state is not "right to work" they state that you can't work in the territory that the franchise is assigned to for 2 years. My state (Ca.) is right to work so it was easy. Mail hand written letters to your customer base as well as making new business cards with another phone number.

I would talk to Larry if I were you.

While I don't think Chem-Dry is the evil empire like a lot of the guys would have you believe on here, I'm also not all in on staying a CD if you can get out. HRI/Chem-Dry would have you believe there is such great name recognition by staying with them. While I agree there is some, there's is nearly not as much as they would want you to believe. AND I've run in to PLENTY of people who say they would never use a CD again. You and I both know it's not CD that's the problem in those cases like that....it's the shitty technician who did a shitty job and now has given CD the bad rap that blankets even those who do do great work. And you can do great work using the CD system.

Maybe I am the exception but HRI said NOTHING to me when I left, and I never said anything to them. (God I hope I'm not waking a sleeping giant. It's been 6 years now since I left so I think I'm safe.) They never got ahold of me for my equipment, customer list (which they never would have got anyway) or anything. I wasn't hiding so they could have easily found me if they wanted to. I actually closed my business so the phone number I gave up anyway, which another CD immediately got and started telling everyone who called that number that they were me. But that's another whole story.

But back to the original thought. I don't think the name recognition is worth what you have to pay in higher costs in supplies. It is TREMENDOUSLY cheaper to operate as an independent. And if you do a great job people really don't give a rats ass what you call yourself.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom