Looking too add new tech/van...and

Unemployment is high and I have had only 6 apps in week.. and they all have been...needless to say, not good.

Ad Reads

Carpet/water tech

Good DL, must pass background check and drug test

Min age 25

Pay @ 35-40 K first year with room to grow.

I dont get it.....I expected alot more than what I got...Obamanomics?

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Not that it affected how many applications you received, but I believe your age requirement is illegal. Under the EEOC, I don't think you are even allowed to ask an applicant's age other than to determine whether they are of minimum legal age to work.

Scott Rogers

As long as they continue giving out unemployment for 2 years, there is little incentive for many to go out and find a real job.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I finally hired a guy...he ran his own landscaping business..I figured if he could get out in this heat and pull weeds he could handle cleaning carpet.....On thing I did NOT want was someone with any type of Carpet cleaning experience..( and I use that word loosely)....I did not want someone who worked for someone else hacking out apartments and late night work....Old habits are hard to break and not a road I want to go down....so I found me someone that I could train the way I wanted to......figured it has worked out great for me the last 8 years and I would have less worries........
So far so good......the guy is a hard worker......he is picking up fast on how to do things....
I kinda felt guilty the other day standing there watching him do about $600.00 worth the UPH but I got over it real quick......so far the only problem I have is getting him to know when to turn around and be aware of what is behind him and....always knowing what is around him so he does not knock something over.....so far he has knocked a picture off a wall and a lamp off a table.....But I picked a guy with fast reflexes...he managed to hold on to the wand and catch them both.......
For the last week we have just been working on the basic's and after he is comfortable with those then I will start fine tuning him.......

Good points Jim. I have been thinking about listing what kind of things to look for on a job or should I say what not to do.

Example pulling hose up a staircase with a glass vase sitting on a stand right next to the staircase.

You know things you have learned over the years of what to look for that you might have missed in your early days.

We could start a thread, keep it going/updat when someone encounters a problem, and eventually have a kick ass training manual.

dgardner said:
Not that it affected how many applications you received, but I believe your age requirement is illegal. Under the EEOC, I don't think you are even allowed to ask an applicant's age other than to determine whether they are of minimum legal age to work.

Could be... but it dont hurt to ask...lol

Ryan

Yeah I'm curious about the age requirement as well....

If a guy is 25 years old and doesn't already have a decent job or career do you really want him working for you?

It seems like an ambitious 18-21 year old would do a better job and catch on quicker.... Just saying....

Insurance is cheaper for a 25 year old and older.... shiteatinggrin but Ive had comments from custys "Dont send some "kid" over...

Ryan

C Pennington said:
Insurance is cheaper for a 25 year old and older.... shiteatinggrin but Ive had comments from custys "Dont send some "kid" over...

Well that I understand.. I'm a cheap bastard too shiteatinggrin

People like that get on my nerves. I get some custys that really like me and say I did a great job, then when they find out I'm the owner.. their like well you just made X amount in X hours!! That always bugs me.. its like it would be ok if I was working for someone else and doing a good job, but if I'm too young to be the business owner.

Wearing a suit and tie when selling commercial jobs always seems to down play my age... I HATE ties... but hey you have to do what it takes sometimes.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Curtis maybe they are lumping your ad in with Kirby type ads. Kirby is always looking for new people and they don't use the Kirby name, but they do advertise how much you could make. Maybe explain who you are and what kind of tasks they will be doing.

Jim sounds like you got a good one! While he is learning I would have him make all his cleaning passes away from the wall, not against it. At least until he gets use to accounting for the objects hanging on them.

TimP

Hell, that's more than I bring home doing this myself.....you need some help part time?

steve r

its the driving record. big money for states to give tickets and dui s right now.

yes obamanomics.

rick imby

Name
Rick
I would speak hourly as in $10 base per hour plus daily bonus. Hard work rewarded. Slackers need not apply.

Rick

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
That 10 base crap never works. Just make them accountable(document) for their time, and if they're milking the clock can 'em.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom