Lost $750 TnG job to silicon sealant hack

Giorgio

Name
Giorgio
I was bidding on a TnG job when the window installer arrived to fix a window.

He said does TnG with a vapor shark from walmart.

I won the bid but the homeowner insisted on silicon TnG sealant because the window installer said it was the best. I told the homeowner I would be using solvent sealer because we don't offer silicon TnG sealant.

Homeowner told me nevermind that they were hiring the guy who uses silicon sealant.

I never even heard of anybody using silicon to seal TnG. This is a first for me.

Go figure.

dgargan

Always give the home owner what they want. Advise them what you think is correct but in the end give them what they want and take the money

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
sounds like he's going to colorseal it and was a good salesman. i've seen guys clean t/g by hand with butyl, then c/s after, so his vapor shark is somewhat of an upgrade.

Name
Jesse
There's lot of silicone based sealers on the market. Hopefully he used this shitty one

http://www.tilecleaning.org/tile-guard-silicone-grout-sealer-review.htm

Quote: As far as performance goes this sealer won the award for the most inept sealers we tested. As soon as the contaminates were placed on the grout sample it became apparent what a cheap product it was. The dirty motor oil immediately flowed into the grout and stained a large portion of the grout sample. All other stains were very prominent and leached out and spread into the grout.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Silicone sealers and the many variations (siloxane, etc) were popular a couple decades ago. But just like silicone on carpet they proved to be inferior to fluorochemical sealers. A few are still around. If you have attended the IICRC SMT class they probably discussed all the differences and did a comparison.

TimP

From what I remember from my tile class I took. Silicon sealers don't give the complete protection from oil and water based sealers like the new fluorochemical sealers. They are good for outdoor tiles where there is less of a chance of a food spill. I believe silicon sealant is cheaper also.

You should of found some proof and showed them the truth.

Now you should take it as a learning experience so that next time you know what you're talking about and let the home owner know the truth and show them proof. You need to find ammo so that next time you'll be prepared and be able to stick to your guns.

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
I would send them the documentation AFTER they get it done, just as a friendly fyi. 8) Maybe with a quart of neutral cleaner as a thank you for the opportunity.

S

sam miller

I did a tile job years ago the customer bought a silcone based sealer, sealed it after I left. It was a high gloss white tile.

She managed to get the crap all over and let it dry on the tile not just the groutlines its for bathrooms!

She called me back can You get this glue off my tile. What a mess!

Remember You get what You pay for when He screws up they'll call You back.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom