Lttle Giant 4 HT POS

Goldenboy

Name
Mike Waldron
Going to have to tear into this piece of garbage. Drip is putting out my pilot light. I got more Jobs on the book then Dobbers. Im fooked. To get the coil out do I have to unhook all the propane componets. Radiator guy says I need to bring coil to him. I should just pay someone to do this crap. I hate mechanical stuff plus Ive been averaging 700 dollar days. The stacks are growing. How do I go about getting this thing apart?

Golden Boy

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Waldorf;

Take the entire Heater out.

Remove all the exterior plumbing.

Remove all the sheet metal carefully.

Lift out the coil.

When you reinstall the coil, make sure the sheet metal is not cutting into the copper headers.

At least now,

you have some idea of how it works.

Larry

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
One good thing about the Old Hydramaster Square SS heaters was the suitcase latches.
Pop the latches,Unhook the upper and lower hose, remove propane line and ten minutes the coil was out.

Name
I'm Rick James
I am guessing that you have a good size leak and the welding isn't going to work.. or not last for long.

Since you have little skillz to take it a part and with the time wasted, you should just buy a new 3ht heater from steambrite for $1200 to get you back up and running.. If you are making $700 a day, then it would take 2 days of income to keep you going so you can make thousands more.

You then can buy a new coil for the 4 ht and sell it or have it as a backup. With the sound of it.. you trying to figure out how to take it apart and put it all back together on a coil that has a good chance of not being repaired .. may end up costing you more in time, revenue and frustration.

On a side note.. the LG isn't a POS if you take care of it. Coils blow just like a HX heater.. which I am sure you would being calling a POS at this exact time.. ;)

Goldenboy

Name
Mike Waldron
Sometimes it seems like it does not leak. Brent the POS was well taken care of. So I just expect to buy a new heater for 2400 every 18 months. I dont give a fook how much anybody makes. I dont want to be buying junk.

Golden Boy

Name
I'm Rick James
Sometimes it seems like it does not leak. Brent the POS was well taken care of. So I just expect to buy a new heater for 2400 every 18 months. I dont give a fook how much anybody makes. I dont want to be buying junk.

Golden Boy

Thats a good sign if its not flooding out drowning out your pilot light. Its get below freezing where you are at?

Goldenboy

Name
Mike Waldron
Yes it freezes here. Everybody starts accusing me of freezing it. Not the case. Box truck is well insulated and kept at 50 degrees. Pilot light goes out sometimes when it gets dripped on.

Golen Boy

Name
I'm Rick James
Yes it freezes here. Everybody starts accusing me of freezing it. Not the case. Box truck is well insulated and kept at 50 degrees. Pilot light goes out sometimes when it gets dripped on.

Golen Boy

It sucks when equipment fails for whatever reason. The little giant is a great heater, with a good track record from my understanding and usage of them. I have taken a couple of the coils out and it gets pretty obvious on how to do it when you start taking the outer shell off. You would first need to remove the propane feed pipes which is really easy.

Inside the outer shell is insulation that needs to be carefully removed.. when you do that you will expose the coils outer shell, which is a circle piece of sheet metal.. You can then remove that to expose the entire coil. The hard part is getting the attachments off that is secured to the coil like the thermostat if you do end up replacing the coil. Hopefully it can be repaired..

I also suggest taking pictures along the way so it can help aid you in putting it back together.

Goldenboy

Name
Mike Waldron
Thanks for your help Brent. Seems like you have done it a few times. it will help me. My fault for buying into board Hype. When I buy something for 2400 bucks I expect it to last longer then 18 months. Garbage.

Golden Boy

Name
Steve Lawrence
Man the more I hear you guys cry about all your slide-in problems the gladder I am that I went with Butler 19 years ago. I shared all the same frustrations, challenges and dead-ends you guys are still having. Yeah, you might sacrifice a little power with Butler but it's not that much and the increased dependability is more than worth it. And the newer high-heat machines blow away my previous heat-x units for consistently high heat in volumes that kick butt for RX-20 cleaning.

I know that money is an issue.

That's why I'm sticking with Butler and its simplicity and dependability.

Sorry for this rant but I see so many of the same types of threads with little nuisance stuff driving you guys crazy.

Hope you get it worked out, Waldo.

Goldenboy

Name
Mike Waldron
Thanks Steve. No prob for the rant. If I could get a good heat source Ill be fine. Butlers are highly overrated. No way a Butler could keep up with Twand so I basically have what you have a truck with no heat.

Golden Boy

Name
I'm Rick James
Thanks for your help Brent. Seems like you have done it a few times. it will help me. My fault for buying into board Hype. When I buy something for 2400 bucks I expect it to last longer then 18 months. Garbage.

Golden Boy

Yeah I have a little history with them.. I too would be pissed if it went out that soon. Just PM me if you have any questions, but its a pretty straight forward thing.

Mike Draper

My butler hx froze once. Took me at least 5 hours of labor to take it out and install a new one. Had to lift the blower out to. What a pain in the ass. The little giant comes apart about as simple as anything. Just start disconnecting things and it'll be apart in less than 25 minutes. If you can change the tire on your car you can take the lg apart.

Name
Steve Lawrence
My butler hx froze once. Took me at least 5 hours of labor to take it out and install a new one. Had to lift the blower out to. What a pain in the ass. The little giant comes apart about as simple as anything. Just start disconnecting things and it'll be apart in less than 25 minutes. If you can change the tire on your car you can take the lg apart.

Mike, is that a hi heat Butler that caused you all that hassle? I've replaced heat exchangers twice in the regular heat Butlers and never had to remove the blower.

Lefty724

Name
E
Funny....I bought a LG 2ht about 5 years ago, sold it, and the 2ht is still used everyday to this day. Then I bought a HP LG 3ht for my TM, and the coil blew within 6 months while trying to do some tile at 1000psi?

Back
Top Bottom