Machine down

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Dang thing finally took a dive. Was running fine and then it started running rough then died . It didn't start till hrs later when it was cool. You can eliminate the computer and all the sensors as I have the link so I can check those things easily. It has spark and fuel so you can eliminate the plugs, wires and coil. I did test the coil any ways and its fine. Also i replaced all the wires. i did put the old harness on just to check myself but didnt help. The only problem I could find was the vacuum advance was shot. I don't know how important it is but I have one coming next day from ss. It won't hold a vacuum. Would that cause it to not start. It's the A15 engine with the Mitsubishi distributor. I know it advances the spark but I thought it should still start.

Gene

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
No help at all. Anybody know why there are 3/8 antifreeze lines running through the throttle body. Heating the fuel ?
First time I noticed it. I thought they were fuel lines

gene

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
It didn't start till hrs later when it was cool.

Are you saying after it cooled for some hours the problem went away and it ran once again? Or is it DOA and won’t run at all?

You can eliminate the computer and all the sensors as I have the link so I can check those things easily. It has spark and fuel so you can eliminate the plugs, wires and coil. I did test the coil any ways and its fine. Also i replaced all the wires. i did put the old harness on just to check myself but didnt help

I suggest you don’t mentally eliminate ANYTHING until it’s fixed. I have been a hero many times by finding an issue the original troubleshooter dismissed as “couldn’t possibly be the problem”.

The only problem I could find was the vacuum advance was shot. I don't know how important it is but I have one coming next day from ss. It won't hold a vacuum. Would that cause it to not start. It's the A15 engine with the Mitsubishi distributor. I know it advances the spark but I thought it should still start.

It will start and run without vac advance, in fact the tune-up instructions have you disconnect it to set base timing (which should be 10 or 12 deg BTDC, depending on the exact engine. For instance the Thermalwave 5M manual lists 12, the Zeems troubleshooting manual says 10 - the engine will start and run with anything in this general range).

Anybody know why there are 3/8 antifreeze lines running through the throttle body. Heating the fuel? First time I noticed it. I thought they were fuel lines

I have seen several engines like this; typically it is to improve fuel atomization.

Remember, you have to have these things for the engine to run:

• Air and fuel (in the proper proportion – correct air-fuel ratio)
  • Spark (at the right time – timing)
  • Compression (blown head gasket, etc.)

Have you for sure verified that you have spark and fuel (and presumably air) during the actual failure mode (i.e. when the engine won’t start)? Then maybe check base timing while cranking (do you have a timing light?).

Last edited:
Reactions: Art Kelley

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Thanks Dan, your right don't eliminate anything. I did go from start to finish checking for air fuel and spark. It would restart when completely cold and your right about the vacuum advance. I was grasping at straws just hoping it would help it run. I did find that the fuel injector was not spraying. I testing it and it was fine but replaced it any way since I already had a spare. The computer relies on the ground from the coil to get its rpm so the injector know how much to spray. It wasn't getting a ground signal. I finally called Mike Farmer at zeems and after a lenghty troubleshooting session and ruling everything out he was stumped also. Then he said one time for some strange reason a working map sensor would prevent the ground from reaching the injector. I had a new one so I put it in and so far its been running. He has no idea why that would cause that problem but now I have one more bit of knowledge for my data bank. Until Alzheimer's sets in anyways. If all else fails ill throw a carburetor on it and order a new machine. Its overdue.

gene

Reactions: dgardner

Mike Draper

One thing you could check would be your waste tank float. Many times they are directly hooked to the ignition. If for some reason the float starts going bad it could cause an electrical arc that could throw off the timing in your engine, make it run like shit or kill the motor. It's something so simple that many people would overlook it. However, a direct arc into your ignition could cause your engine to run very rough as if it were not getting enough fuel, or give symptoms of spark plugs fouling, valve needing to be adjusted etc, etc. if you have your waste tank float tied to your ignition disconnect the ground wire or the float completely and see if that fixes it.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
One thing you could check would be your waste tank float. Many times they are directly hooked to the ignition. If for some reason the float starts going bad it could cause an electrical arc that could throw off the timing in your engine, make it run like shit or kill the motor. It's something so simple that many people would overlook it. However, a direct arc into your ignition could cause your engine to run very rough as if it were not getting enough fuel, or give symptoms of spark plugs fouling, valve needing to be adjusted etc, etc. if you have your waste tank float tied to your ignition disconnect the ground wire or the float completely and see if that fixes it.

Interesting tip thanks. With computers weird stuff can cause problems. I pulled all the sensors and the tank float. I didn't bother with the map because besides that it was working it doesn't kill the engine. But it will stop the coil from going to ground at least in rare case. I wonder if the Lucas injector cleaner somehow causes it. The last 3 tanks had 8oz.

Gene

F

FB7777

Hope your machine is up and running again... Cross off any slide in for me, I didn't understand most of the troubleshooting you guys were talking about :very_drunk:

Reactions: Art Kelley

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Hope your machine is up and running again... Cross off any slide in for me, I didn't understand most of the troubleshooting you guys were talking about :very_drunk:

Not that this is helpful at all, but when my DD stops working I go right to my neighborhood Goodyear dealer and the mechanics there drop what they are doing and fix my Express engine. I have enough stress just doing all this work. Sorry for your troubles Gene. :very_drunk: Better days Dude!

Name
Nate W.
Not that this is helpful at all, but when my DD stops working I go right to my neighborhood Goodyear dealer and the mechanics there drop what they are doing and fix my Express engine. I have enough stress just doing all this work. Sorry for your troubles Gene. :very_drunk: Better days Dude!

Don't you mean your Mytee airhog or now Rotovac CFX? :stir:

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Yes I fixed it. It was in post 6. You guys just skip over it. It was a faulty map sensor which for some unknown reason was preventing the injector from getting its ground

gene

Reactions: GCCLee

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom