Man, Am I stupid?

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
If I am, some other guys are too. I recently bought a Chevy 3500 extended to haul rugs. 2 days into driving it around and suddenly it won't start. Had my step-dad( a retired mechanic) and another guy look at it. Baffled us. I call a tow truck from the place that does all my work. The truck comes and the driver/ mechanic tries to jump it and cleans the cables and reattaches them. Loads it up and takes it to the shop. 5 hours later they call and ask if I have another key. Take it up there between jobs and it starts right up. Got 2 keys when I bought it and 1 was a duplicate. Non factory key did not have chip in it. Damn key looks like every other Chevy key from the past but has a chip in it. $158 wasted. Just wanted to let others know. I'm not sure what year this started but I wish someone would have known.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
That's a tough one......easy mistake to make..............doesn't necessarily make you stoopit............at least not as stoopit as the guy you bought it from, who failed to mention it to you.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I only had one key to my van so I took it down to have a copy made and they would not do it...that's when I first learned there was a chip in it.....went to order one from dealer and there price was just plain stupid....

go to amazon and put in discount keyless....or call them from the number on the card in the picture....just let them know what make your van is and they will send you a blank key and instructions on how to program it....If I remember correct I think my key was like $15 bucks.......it come with easy instructions on how to program it to your van...

you have to take the key and your van title as prof of owner ship to a lock smith to have the key cut.....

IMG_0726_zpsc0652a55.jpg

Reactions: Derek and KevinL

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
I had a duplicate cut at Lowes and they give you the instruction sequence for programming in the van $54 (better than $158)

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
My wife has a fiat that she lost one of the sets of keys.

Lost it in the house.....go figure.

Thanks for the lowes tip I'll look into it because a replacement key from the dealer cost $250!

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
my dodge has to have it by dealer....

maybe can get them on amazon...but they still have to be programmed else where

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
What Jim said only pull over one of those dudes driving a AAA truck. Let them make the key because they actually know how to hand cut a key. The lowes dude slaps it in and lets the machine trace it. That doesn't always equal a good key.

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
I've heard that police cars have the chip removed from the key and put in the steering column close enough to make it work. Then they can get a bunch of cheap keys made.

Sent from my motorola flip phone using Crapatalk 1.1

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom