Mannington Never wax floor

Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Lyman
I went and looked at a room of mannington never wax sheet linoleum installed in 1990. The old women has been hitting it with futura wax and now is too old to take care of it. All she wants is it cleaned and to shine. Will I hurt anything if I hit it with some striper and a white or red pad. And what should I put on it to shine.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
If it has been down over 20 years, there are likely some traffic areas that are very worn. You could get down below the wear layer.

Generally, your process should be OK for sheet vinyl, but a really old, worn floor can be tricky. Watch what is happening.

There could also be an inch of built up finish. That can make the job a real pain with lots of scraping or repeated stripping passes.

Apply thin layers of any good floor finish. Mannington does (or at least did) make a product specifically for their no-wax vinyl floors.

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
to be honest with you I wouldn't attempt to strip it

blue or brown pad scrub it and recoat, I would just put Futura back on it

anything other than that I wouldn't touch it

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Early 90's...Mannington had a product know as "Mannington GOLD"....very pricey...!

Over 50.00 a sq. yard then... :shock: It had a NO question's ask policy for 90 day's.. :!:

Almost ALL sheet vinyl goods were "NO WAX"... :idea:

"I would NOT use floor srtipper...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Most of these products have a urethane finish....Stripper will DAMAGE... :cry:

I would use your high alkaline pre spray...as a TEST...! It was NOT uncommon for
homeowners to apply WAX to no-wax floors... :roll: Especially if they had purchased
the home AFTER the vinyl was installed...! Many of these goods had a Matt finish.. :idea:

The NEW homeowner may have had a personal preference..for HIGH GLOSS finish... :|
Thus they would apply wax...! SO, actually the vinyl could be in great shape...because
the wax has protected the original finish from wear... :shock:

Have the CUSTY..sign-off... :idea: This will allow you to TEST an area & get a good idea
of what to charge.! Give it a go..!!! "You could be a HERO..!" and you have ZERO liability..!

Spray down a small area & scrub with a hand brush...Should tell you what you need to KNOW.!

Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Lyman
These nice old ladies get to me, I love hearing there stories. I tried a little stripper(2 inch spot) with a wet towel on a 2 by 4 foot area. It cleaned up nice but will try my prespray. The price all depends on how good the cookies are.

Ross Buettner

Name
Ross Buettner
Red pad, hot water, degreaser and detergent of some sort.

Scrub the piss out of it.

BURNISH it (trust me, it'll come out like new) and lay whatever on the top. Find someone with a burnisher and it'll shine like WalMart.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
how did you mix your stripper???

because it probably has tons of build up, and if you get into it...it will become an ugly mess...blotchy all over..

top scrub, rinse and put the futura back on it

B

Bill G. Martin

Sounds like time to walk. I use to sell that stuff in another life time. That stuff is not very thick to begin with.....could turn out to be a BIG problem....and then it would be YOUR problem.

Bill in Central Florida

dan mabes

I used to do floor inspections for Mannington. Even though any warranty has long since expired, best bet is to call Mannington.

I used to do floor inspections for Mannington. Even though any warranty has long since expired, the best thing to do is call Mannington

Dan M

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
steve frasier said:
if you burnish it and it has a high spot you will wish you never tried to burnish it

why would go through the PITA to bring a burnisher into a house??

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom