MD 5009 blower making LOUD knocking noise

Ed

Name
Ed Prevost
The blower on my 99 vortex started making a lound knocking noise Thursday. We stopped the machine immediately. When the guys got it back to the shop, it wouldn't turn at all. Talked to Vlad at Aerotech. He suggested removing belts and seeing if we could turn the blower, which we did and it did. We turned it backward thinking that maybe something was lodged. Hooked everything back up and it is still making the same loud noise. Has oil and grease , blower lubed at the end of each day. Any suggestions, thoughts, ideas?

Thanks,

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
take the belts off and grab the pulley and wiggle it back and forth..up and down.... see if there is any play in it...if there is then it dropped a bearing.....when you spin it ..it should be really smooth...no grinding feeling to it...belts are probably pulling tight against the bearing and pinching it....making it more pronounced...

if this checks out ok..( and I don't think it it will if the sound is coming from the blower)...go under the truck and do the same thing to the PTO shaft at all the u joints......

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Nearly positive it is the bearing. You probably should call Micheal Lockhart (dealtimeman)
and see if he still has one. He had a bunch he got dirt cheap.

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
The last two blowers I pulled apart for a knocking noise happened to be one tooth broke on one of the timing gears. (Just a thought)

John Olson

Name
John Olson
True but it is usually the bearing that takes out the gears either way if micheal still has one it will be cheaper then a rebuild.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
if it is only doing it with the belts on then I they are pulling down on the worn bearing and with out the belts on the shaft is free spinning in the race.............pretty sure it is the bearing....pretty sure it is the front one.....

Ed

Name
Ed Prevost
So it this a repair that an authorized repair shop has to make, or is it somehting a semi mechanically inclined redneck can do? How much does a rebuild cost and/or how much does a new blower cost? Anybody got any ideas? I've searched the internet and can't find much info on the MD 5009.

Goldenboy

Name
Mike Waldron
LOL. These guys can walk you through it Ed. Just grab the his/her tool box from under the kitchen sink. If you take it to get it fixed stay away from Union shops.

Golden Boy

Ed

Name
Ed Prevost
See, that's why I like you Waldo.

Thanks Kevin, That was my understanding too, but Vlad said something about the blower needing to be re-set or something. I have a guy that can do it if it doesn't require exotic toolage. He's used to taking apart industrial machines and repairing them. He works like he's in a f'ing union :mrgreen: , but that's ok, it's still cheaper than sending it out to be fixed.

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
Doing just the front end (which is probably the only bad bearing) does not require re-timing the back end.
It can pretty much be done with a ratchet wrench and a hammer and something to tap the bearing out of the housing and back in.
Once you get the plate off that holds the bearings you could also go to a machine shop and have the old bearings pressed out and the new pressed in if you don't feel comfortable knocking them out.
Anybody with a little mechanical ability can change them.
I did mine without pulling the blower but I had room to work on the front end.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
when ever you pull the old one out....there should be a number stamped on the race....( on the outer edge )..this is the best way to insure you get the right bearing when you are searching for it yourself....

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Speaking of blowers.......was watching drag racing this weekend on ESPN and when they showed the pit shots, it seems the T/F cars pull their blowers and pull out the rotors after every run? They shure made it look simple. Of course, the pit crew is trained on every inch of the blower. I'm sure that their blowers (superchargers) are a lot more precise than the ones we use.

Also.....ever had a bearing cap pop off your blower?? Had one pop off my 59 blower, and was lodged right next to the pump pulley and belts. I'm sure glad the belt didn't catch that cap and fling it out the van (or through the roof) I replaced it and tapped it back on with a lead shot hammer. Seems the grease might have forced it out.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
THOUSANDS????
Well i guess i missed a few.....
DO NOT BUY CHINESE BEARING....they'll last about two hours...
get the Jap ones from applied....

chinese....$36.00 ea
japs...about $86.00 a pop......and well worth it!

Back
Top Bottom