Measuring wheel?

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
So I broke mine today by tossing an air mover on top of it in the front seat of my whip.

What's the best, with accuracy and durability in mind? I use it several times a day so price isn't much of a factor.

Thanks!

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Go to Home Depot and buy a laser measure I have not used a roller tape in years.

Would have to agree....

We still carry a roller wheel in the back of the van just in case for large halls, but a lot of times, I can go stand in the middle of a hall and flash the laser to both ends and still get my measurements too.

We are using the Stanley Fat Max which I believe is no longer made.

Name
Ralph Pastorelli
I have the Bosch GLM 50 it's good for 150 ft I did have a FAX max but I left it somewhere a few months ago and could not find it.

Name
Lee Stockwell
The wheel loses a lot of real estate.

Besides the diameter of the wheel itself, you can have a huge loss due to the bias of the carpet itself. I've had long hallways come up 10' or more different depending on the direction you rolled it.

About as accurate and quick for me to step it off or count lights or ceiling tiles.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
If you're like me and practically every three jobs or so, you tend to 'leave' behind, a pair of reading glasses, a calculator, a bag of foam blocks and a laser measuring device...................get a cheap one.

Otherwise go for durability and these days I think they all calculate room size etc.

Reactions: Chris A and Russ T.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
These are the ones we use:
http://t.homedepot.com/p/Bosch-225-ft-Range-Finder-GLR225/202505004/

We started with the glm50, and accidently bought one of the ones above when we needed one quick and love the quickness accuracy and multiple configurable setups that come with this model.

The model in the link is a tough Buger and takes a beating and keeps ticking.

A SIMPLE RULE WHEN USING THE LASER--- -- IF YOU ARE GOING TO USE THE LASER, BEFORE YOU ENTER THE STRUCTURE ATTACH THE PROTECT POUCH TO YOUR BELT AND THIS WILL LIMIT THE CHANCES OF YOU LEAVING THE DEVICE BEHIND.

IT TAKES A FEW SECONDS AND WILL SAVE YOU HUNDREDS. if a tech leaves a laser behind he or she will replace it on their dime.

jwfoulk12

Name
Justin Foulk
You guys using lasers how do you measure bedrooms? I normally only clean traffic areas in a bedroom but also only charge for the square footage that I clean.

Reactions: Russ T.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
You guys using lasers how do you measure bedrooms? I normally only clean traffic areas in a bedroom but also only charge for the square footage that I clean.
i charged for the whole room...
they can't tell how far you jammed the wand under the bed............:oldrolleyes:

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger

Just take those measurement around the bed. It's what we do....

Usually about 3 measurements per bedroom pretty common and then pad the sq footage a bit for those extra reach in corners.

jwfoulk12

Name
Justin Foulk
How do these tools keep track of the sq ft? I'd like to be able to know the sq ft of each room instead of one big total

Name
Lee Stockwell
After measuring everything for the first 30 years, I've moved to unit pricing the last 10 or so. Much quicker, easier to estimate and close jobs. People are too busy for the "estimate trip".

If you think you'd lose money...raise your unit price. I was skeptical at first, but saw how Steve Smith's 4 truck operation in Nashville rolled with it. Looking at his routebooks and paperwork convinced me I could do it.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I charge for the full size of the room.
We all know that an empty room (more carpet) takes much less time to clean than a room with lots of furniture. I don't charge less for working more. If the room is empty, I'll give 10% discount, cause it takes less time.

If they don't like it, I refer them to Richard. So far, they all came back and never, ever complained thereafter.

Reactions: Jim Morrison

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Fedex, I was going to have to ask my wife about your estimate anyway...she makes all the big decisions. :winky:
Just in case she says: "I wants to talk with my husband."

I told some:
-"You got to be kidding, your husband? Chances he still hasn't noticed you have carpet in your home."

We both giggled.

Never got the job. Husband must be particular.
Our "replace a husband" and "hire a husband" services are on fire.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

jwfoulk12

Name
Justin Foulk
I charge for the full room in most rooms but in a bedroom where the majority of the carpet is covered with furniture I only charge for what I clean.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom