Meat....and his 2 1/2 incher....

R

R W

Hey, Larry....keep us posted as to your success installing G&L's 2 1/2 inch vac upgrade on that Powermatic. I know you were right on it on Sunday getting that upgrade installed.

Blue Monarch

Supportive Member
Name
Dirk Wingrove
Meat went 2.5? I'll be interested in his feedback as well. Might not get the straight truth though. He likes to sugar coat everything.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I changed brakes on the van Sunday, RW.
So I didn't mess around with the 2.5 mods yet

BUT...as a mater of fact, I pulled the PM not more than an hour ago.
(too much of a PITA working on it while in the van)

weather and work schedule will allow me to work at my leisure today and tomorrow

Wait till the little genies see that HUGE 2.5" hose to wrestle with :shock:

if I don't get enough improvement vs the hassle, the 50ft of new 2.5" hose will listed in the swapmeet rm

...L.T.A.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
If you don't get what you want from that hose, I want it back and you'll get a full refund.

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
I won't sugar coat it at all.
Wrestling with 2 1/2" hose in the Northeast, in freezing weather and snow is a BITCH unless you have a hose real.
Mine has been put in storage till spring.

Greenie

KevinD said:
Wrestling with 2 1/2" hose in the Northeast, in freezing weather and snow is a BITCH unless you have a hose real.

You don't have a reel?

That sounds like a bitch all by it's self.

Actually I'll one up that, manual reels are a bitch, every TM should be sold with an elec. reel ... life is too short to roll hose manually, I wish I had bought one instead of my Ti wand, would have been a better investment at the time. ahhh....hind sight is 20/20.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I'll take your 2.5 off your hands if you don't like it. Much easier than my 3!

Even a manual reel is better than rolling. Not that difficult really, one hand on the reel and one on my hose! :D

Steve Smith

I don't understand why any grown man would need an electric vacuum hose reel. (Now gals that's a different story)

If it is that tiring, physically difficult, etc.. to reel up 100 to 150 feet of vacuum hose 5 or 6 times a day, you definitely need to get off the truck.

RandyHilburn

Hey Steve,

In Mississippi, when the outside temperature is 106 degrees and 135 in the van (and humidity is 97%) the electric hose reel is a welcome site at the end of a big job. But heck, now our guys complain about using the electric reel hose in the rain (because they say it's too slow).

However, I can't imagine hand rolling hose five or six times a day in sub freezing weather! If it was me, and I was hand pulling 200' of hose into the van - after about the third or fourth job, the fifth and sixth job would have to be 50' (or less) or I'd be driving to the house!

R

R W

Meat....where on that waste tank lid are you mounting the new inlet? Right above the existing up-tube, or on the other side of the lid? The blower intake is damn near close to that current PVC waste inlet tube....at least it is on my 1992 Powermatic.

danpauselius

Greenie said:
KevinD said:

You don't have a reel?

Actually I'll one up that, manual reels are a bitch, every TM should be sold with an elec. reel ... life is too short to roll hose manually, I wish I had bought one instead of my Ti wand, would have been a better investment at the time. ahhh....hind sight is 20/20.

I have manual reels ... I agree.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
R W said:
Meat....where on that waste tank lid are you mounting the new inlet? Right above the existing up-tube, or on the other side of the lid? The blower intake is damn near close to that current PVC waste inlet tube....at least it is on my 1992 Powermatic.

same on the newer ones, RW
They haven't changed the design.

I'm not zackly sure where to put it.
I was looking over things tonite.

...L.T.A.

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
I think once you use an electric reel, you'll never go back. I feel way better at the end of a long day of several jobs. You don't realize the effort rolling hose takes.

Greenie

Steve, I realize you are hard headed from our past conversations, but at some point you just have to ask yourself, why would you work harder instead of smarter?

I used to have the same opinion on elec. solution reels and fresh water reels, Do you really need that? It's pretty easy compared to the vac reel....until I used one.... Sweeeet! Time is money and you aren't getting any younger.

On a vac reel, the remote foot pedal, or knee pedal depending on how you rig it, makes for easy wiping down of your hoses as you reel them up too.

R

R W

You got it, Greenie.....I like the elec hose reel for that reason, #1, and for the convenience of not breaking my back. We keep clean rags near the hose reel to wipe off the snow and dirt that we gotta contend with up here in NE Ohio.

One of the better inventions for CC'ers.

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
Greenie said:
You don't have a reel?

Actually I'll one up that, manual reels are a bitch, every TM should be sold with an elec. reel ... life is too short to roll hose manually

I had a reel but sold it. Just not for me. I would dare say 90+% of my jobs are reachable with 100' of hose and the first 50' I try never to hit the outside ground with it to keep it clean. So that leaves me with 50' to wind up, no biggie.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I have an auto hose reel.
It's Little Genie powered :wink:

2.5" mods are done
I bolted the 2.5" Greenie port on the waste tank lid.
I positioned it to evacuate at the same spot in the tank as the stock port.
Then ran hose from lid port to the coupler thingie I bolted to the side of the frame.
Stock port is still stock and usable

I also fixed an oil leak, put in a new Dwyer flow meter and hoses
(mine was sucking air and couldn't get it air tight AND I lost that damn ball AGAIN)
Had a small exhaust leak too I fixed.

I'd post pics for ya'll, but the way some of youinz beat up Dirk just cause his Boxer had a few smudges on it, I DAMN sure ain't showing my 3000 hour TM :shock:

...L.T.A.

Blue Monarch

Supportive Member
Name
Dirk Wingrove
Damn, that was a long time ago I took that beating meat. Good memory.

Here's an old pic of mikey visiting. That's when i took the beating I think...

Now you can post pics with pride.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
2.5" hose washer:
Just use the hoser and pull off the ends.
Might have to rework the jets as I believe the orig version has the jets inside the tube. I modified mine so the jets are even with the tube. I think if I pulled the ends off even my 3" would fit through.

Steve Smith

Greenie,

I stand by my statement "If it is that tiring, physically difficult, etc.. to reel up 100 to 150 feet of vacuum hose 5 or 6 times a day, you definitely need to get off the truck", and you did, didn't you!

p.s. I take your hard headed comment as a compliment, since I know you are wrong about 1/4" vs 3/8" pressure hose, especially as it relates to high flow.

Greenie

Steve,

I got off the truck as GreenGlides was growing too fast to continue doing both, so I had to make a decision. Not because I couldn't roll up hose...lol

I think it's quite clear where we both stand on the solution hose debate, aren't these your words...

"Greenie,
If a person only needs 50 to 100 feet of hose to reach where they are cleaning I have no problem with them using 1/4" pressure hose.
I said: "Kevin needs to test 250' of all 3/8" hose from the truckmount to the wand." Kevin never tested using only 250' of all 3/8" hose.

Let's try this one question at a time.

If you needed over 150 feet of hose to reach where you were cleaning would 3/8" hose give you a increase in flow and pressure compared to 1/4" hose?"

Since Most guys only run 100' or so, it's a waste of time, money and effort to run heavier 3/8" line, especially on a wand with a 1/8" or 5/32" solution line.

And even at 150-200' if I was worried about the drop in operating pressure, I would just turn up my regulator 100 psi.

Greenie

Steve, don't get all butt wounded, I've tried both, I just can't sit here and recommend a guy go to 3/8" line for little to no gain.

Same goes for those ancient SW single jet wands...technology has moved on.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
welp, a full day sucking rugs with the new mods

Noticeable difference in the sound the wand makes when off the carpet.
Seems to have more "suck to the floor" too.

Nothing quantifiable, but seems like we were recovering more water judging by the amount of waste water we dumped directly in to the native Brook Trout streams :shock:

JUST KIDDING about the trout streams

so far, so good.
The 2.5 isn't "all" that much more of a PITA to handle

I still have all the stock 2" plumbing in place and usable.
If i get ambitious enough this spring, I'll do some side by side evaluations on the carpets at home.

..L.T.A.

Numero Uno

Name
Caesar
Steve to be honest in 2028 lets see if you want a hose reel electric...

32 years of hose rolling wears your down...My 2 cents...

An I am in probably some of the best shape of my later years...

The middle years well...lol...

But to each there own...Best of Luck in your Business...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom