media does some good for a change...

Chris A

Name
Chris
this just aired on our local NBC affiliate, nice to see they gave the pros some credit, although I think they still give a little too much towards the rental machines, if the vid pops up on their site I'll post it, all I can find now is the text,

CHESTERLAND -- Many people choose this time of year for their once-a-year carpet cleaning.

We're spending more time indoors, and company may be coming between now and New Year's. So what's the best way to have carpets cleaned?

You have three choices: buy your own carpet cleaning machine, rent a machine from a drug store or supermarket, or have a professional carpet cleaning service come to your home.

Buying a machine will pay for itself after a few cleanings compared to the cost of professional cleaning. Stores have the full line of carpet cleaners ranging in price from around a $100 to $400.

Renting a carpet cleaning machine has come a long way in recent years. Discount Drug Marts feaure Rug Doctor machines and cleaning solutions. The machines are heavy duty, similar to some professional machines. They rent for around $20 dollars for 24 hours. Cleaning solutions cost about $12 dollars on sale.

If you're squeamish about using a carpet machine that was just at someone else's house cleaning up you-don't-know-what, Rug Doctor sends a tech to each Discount Drug Mart store every week or two to clean and service the machines.

Renting is the most economical method of carpet cleaning in the short run, but as with buying your own machine, you'll have to do the dirty work and the heavy lifting of moving furniture yourself.

Professional carpet cleaners claim their method is best for your carpets and no more costly than do-it-yourself if you factor in the value of your time and labor.

"The steam or hot water extractor units on our trucks cost $30,000 dollars apiece," said Larry Kolinsky, owner of The Steam Company in Chesterland.

"Some cleaning companies use a solution that will actually void your carpet warranty," he said. "We use steam, not scrubbing. Scrubbing is abrasive and grinds the dirt in. We liquify it and lift it out."

The Steam Company cleans three average-size rooms of carpet for $149, with discounts for senior citizens.

Homeowner Chris Guthrie is convinced yearly cleaning extends the life of her carpet.

"Leaving the dirt in there actually is what destroys carpet, " she said. "Regular professional cleaning preserves the carpet."

Chris was having her 22-year-old living room and hall carpet cleaned by The Steam Company Thursday.

In reality, does professional cleaning cost more than doing it herself?

"Probably a little bit," she said, "but it's worth it. It saves your back."

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
yea, and whose the peckerwood they interviewed???

no scrubing...we use steam....lol ass wipe, actual steam would void it to..

some people

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Yes they give pros a little credit... :roll: veeeery little..

Now lets get that "professional" up here and teach him a thing or two about carpet cleaning!!! :x

Why can't these media outlets interview some real good carpet cleaners sometimes????

I get pissed off everytime they compare a stupid store bought "steam cleaner" thats barely bigger than a vacuum cleaner and those cri approved pieces of junks from rug doctor with a decent truckmount ran by a GOOD carpet cleaner, and not some hack that thinks he is cleaning with steam... :x :x :x

Chris A

Name
Chris
I think you guys are missing the bigger picture, the guy may not have all his facts straight, but at least the pros were in a nice lettered van, independant company, higher price (for ohio). The video definitely made the pros seem like the better choice for most, in fact the anchorwoman responded after the story, regarding the DIY price difference "ya but the YOU have to move all the furniture and YOU have to do all the work..." then kinda rolled her eyes.

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
The pro never said they use steam. He said they liquefy the soil and then flush it out. I didn't see the video. That's what it said in print.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom